Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Woodland sites

Gina-B

Gina-B

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Loved looking at the posts and photos of the coastal site suggestions this week. The Scottish ones look amazing. I'll get there one day.
How about also having some suggestions of UK riverside sites this time - especially those with facilities.

Woodland or Riverside? ;)
Sorry, just noticed why you queried - I headed the post for woodland sites then asked about Riverside sites. I've been thinking about both so any suggestions for both/either would be great. Apologies and thanks.

Sorry, just noticed why you queried - I headed the post for woodland sites then asked about Riverside sites. I've been thinking about both so any suggestions for both/either would be great. Apologies and thanks.
I was being mischievous
One not too far from you ….. https://www.exevalleycamping.co.uk/
If you are ok with using your own loo, Setthorns in the New Forest ticks the Woodlands box.

Another Exmoor site, Exmoor House CAMC site in Dulverton. A lovely river with walks. Forests and Exmoor close by.

Don’t forget you can edit the title as well as content :thumb

Another Exmoor site, Exmoor House CAMC site in Dulverton. A lovely river with walks. Forests and Exmoor close by.
Thanks Hawthorn37 - sounds ideal, I'll take a look as it's not that far from me for a couple of nights break.

I was being mischievous
One not too far from you ….. https://www.exevalleycamping.co.uk/
If you are ok with using your own loo, Setthorns in the New Forest ticks the Woodlands box.
Had a look. This is a bit much though and inflexible.

Deposit: £40.00 per booking per unit, This is not refundable or transferable in the event of cancellation or postponement.

Its more than the cost of a pitch.

Last edited:
Had a look. This is a bit much though and inmflexible.

Deposit: £40.00 per booking per unit, This is not refundable or transferable in the event of cancellation or postponement.

Its more than the cost of a pitch.
Following covid there’s been pressure on campsite pitches with many sites selling out months ahead. As the country is / has returned to normal, and fewer campervan/ motorhomes are used for holidays, some sites will find it more difficult to get away with high prices. That said, I can understand site owners wanting to maximise their bookings and regain what they lost during covid. I see that CAMC, after introducing a deposit system, has reduced the amount, and CCC are discounting certain pitches and sites. Give it another year and we should be back to normal, and prices stabilise.

Following covid there’s been pressure on campsite pitches with many sites selling out months ahead. As the country is / has returned to normal, and fewer campervan/ motorhomes are used for holidays, some sites will find it more difficult to get away with high prices. That said, I can understand site owners wanting to maximise their bookings and regain what they lost during covid. I see that CAMC, after introducing a deposit system, has reduced the amount, and CCC are discounting certain pitches and sites. Give it another year and we should be back to normal, and prices stabilise.
At least C&MC allow you to cancel a few days in advance. and the CCC only take a 50% deposit, which, I belive is transferable.

A great many organisations are trying the recoup the disaster of Covid, ie more speed cameras, more parking fines and more stupid laws.

Eg. I just watched a video, where anyone now has to register if they have 1 chicken. Failure to do so could land you with a £5000 fine or six months in prison. You could beat up a policeman and get less.

This site in the Forest of Dean was really nice - surrounded by forest (a herd of deer seem to regularly use part of the campsite too) and you can also walk down to the river and along to Symonds Yat. Lots of other walks too and this might meet both your river and woodland criteria ☺️

This site in the Forest of Dean was really nice - surrounded by forest (a herd of deer seem to regularly use part of the campsite too) and you can also walk down to the river and along to Symonds Yat. Lots of other walks too and this might meet both your river and woodland criteria ☺️
Crikey, how times have changed! I remember camping there on a school trip about 60 years ago when the only choice was ex army tent or ex army tent! :D

It is a nice place to be :thumb

At least C&MC allow you to cancel a few days in advance. and the CCC only take a 50% deposit, which, I belive is transferable.

A great many organisations are trying the recoup the disaster of Covid, ie more speed cameras, more parking fines and more stupid laws.

Eg. I just watched a video, where anyone now has to register if they have 1 chicken. Failure to do so could land you with a £5000 fine or six months in prison. You could beat up a policeman and get less.
As I understand, CAMC changed their cancellation policy at the start of 2023, and now lose your deposit if you cancel in less than 3 weeks before your first night. The deposit is 10% or £20 as a minimum. It used to be 3 days but they found an increasingly high cancellation rate as people made last minute changes, or booking multiple sites then cancelling some. The rate was around 40% of bookings.

I have had great experiences with CCC changing my booking as I arrive. They have always reduced the cost if any offspring chooses not to come or if we leave early due to horrendous weather. Saying that we also had a good result from Savernake -Forestry? when my daughter and her girlfriend booked 2 nights in a tent, but persuaded me to join them so we could all stay in the van and she didn't have to pay any additional sum! The sun shone for long enough for us to find many ancient oaks

Thanks Hawthorn37 - sounds ideal, I'll take a look as it's not that far from me for a couple of nights break.
We stayed there for our first weekend away in the Cali last month. Really nice and clean facilities and Dulverton was lovely - good pub on the corner and the Thai restaurant in town does takeaway too which was pretty good.
247 pheasant and river noise which was lovely.

The site at llangorse lake in the brecons is beautifully situated next to the lake, it has a cafe and some caravans so not as rustic as some but still looks nice - not stayed there yet but saw it during a lakeside lunch stop and added to the list!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We stayed there for our first weekend away in the Cali last month. Really nice and clean facilities and Dulverton was lovely - good pub on the corner and the Thai restaurant in town does takeaway too which was pretty good.
The Thai restaurant is one of the best we’ve been to.

Thanks pchmlk - it's now on my list.

Back