Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Who regularly removes awning ‘off season’

M

myvanrodney

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Trying to decide if I should remove the awning (2 bolts apparently), during months we don’t expect to use it.

Fuel economy, wear and tear, theft, looks,… worthy reasons?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I took mine off in it's first winter, for the same good reasons, but I won't struggle again!

It needs two people, preferably three, to safely do the job. Step ladder, awning partially extended to get at the Allen bolts, hefty torque. Two of us nearly lost it and narrowly avoided damaging the side of the van.

I have for the last 4 years. Highly recommend it as long as you have somewhere safe to store it.

Also please get some help and don't do it alone.

Haha... opinion split 50:50 !

... altho great advice re helping hands.

Thanks all.

So far we have always removed ours from November to March. It is heavy so adds to the fuel consumption and I also think it looks better. And it does need two to remove it safely.
But then our mileage is significantly reduced over the winter so maybe the fuel savings will not be so great after all...?
Think it will be 50/50 whether we bother next year.

Can’t say the gains in fuel economy, if any, justify the hassle of removal, storage and refitting.
As for theft, it would appear to require 2 or 3 blokes with a toolkit to remove it.
Interesting idea, but I can’t be bothered tbh.

I mean, really!??
It’s cold out.

Removed it once, because I prefer the look without it. But will not be doing that again. It's not hard to do, but it's a hassle if you ask me.

Never found a real good use for the awning though, other then it making your pitch feel more homey then without one. Come to think of it, perhaps I should remove it and just not put it back.

Trying to decide if I should remove the awning (2 bolts apparently), during months we don’t expect to use it.

Personally I don’t see the point.

How much fuel would you save? - Negligible.

What wear and tear would you avoid? - None.

Awning theft is rare! - just as likely during the months you are using the van.

Downside of removing it - risk of damage to the awning and van.

Removed it once, because I prefer the look without it. But will not be doing that again. It's not hard to do, but it's a hassle if you ask me.

Never found a real good use for the awning though, other then it making your pitch feel more homey then without one. Come to think of it, perhaps I should remove it and just not put it back.
Does it not rain in the Netherlands?

Haha, yes it does rain over here. However, in my experience the awning by itself doesn't give much shelter from the rain. Which means you need to bring and install all kinds of sides or awning rooms or what have you. Not my cup of tea. Prefer to travel light.

If there’s rain, my wife and two kids go in the van. Felt tips and notebooks come out. My wife gets her kindle out. I sit outside under the awning, sometimes feet up on the step, watching the world go by. One of my favourite bits of any holiday.

Took ours off, gutter much easier to clean & the thing made me feel claustrophobic.

It lives on the bed in our spare room, so is very happy.

I like to leave mine on, as it is an instant symbol (being on the right-hand side) that you are driving a genuine Cali! Lights flash from others coming the other way: funny symbol of a "community"!

I'll confess....... we have only used ours twice in nearly the two years we have had it..... once in Ireland last year (pulled out a foot or so to keep the rain off for a 30 minute tea break on the road) then the second time with the grandchildren this summer ....... and after 30 minutes put it away because it was too windy even with the storm straps.

So, really? I am thinking about removing it because I too like the minimalist look and it just sits there like a big ugly warty thing ..........then again I always live in hope and expectation that one day I 'might' want to use it! Haha

It lets you get in dry in the vehicle when it rains . We used it even in snow conditions . precipitation does not get in and you have dry / free of snow area in front of sliding door.

I'll confess....... we have only used ours twice in nearly the two years we have had it..... once in Ireland last year (pulled out a foot or so to keep the rain off for a 30 minute tea break on the road) then the second time with the grandchildren this summer ....... and after 30 minutes put it away because it was too windy even with the storm straps.

So, really? I am thinking about removing it because I too like the minimalist look and it just sits there like a big ugly warty thing ..........then again I always live in hope and expectation that one day I 'might' want to use it! Haha
We use ours on most camping trips. Quite fancy adding a 2nd one on the passenger side if you want to flog yours really cheap :)

Leave it on; less likely to damage it or fixings whilst removing, storing, refitting.

Interested to hear if they sell well. I’d be happy to sell it I think, don’t use it enough

One reason to remove it for me would be to be able to go to my local drive-through carwash. They refused my Cali because the awning would damage their rotating equipment. Anyone have the same problem being refused at drive-through carwashes by the way?