Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which Topper for downstairs

Y

Yelekreb

Guest User
Hi,

I'm sure people will have strong opinions on this - but I'm dithering about which Topper to buy for downstairs. Upstairs seems easier as is pretty comfy already.

The options for downstairs seem to be a Zonesleep which looks very thin (will it be comfortable enough?) and is £££, but looks like it is smaller to store rolled up or folded.

The alternatives seem to be Memory foam (various suppliers), which look bulky to store (fold up on rear shelf) and I hear can be a bit sweaty, but are cheaper.

Also what do people do about sheets?

Grateful for reviews, opinions, recommendations etc!

Thanks

Martin

Zonesleep gets my vote I can assure you they are comftable and do not sweat from the heat of your body they are designed never to compress fully under weight mine I store in the roof :thumb
Although I don't have one you can get a fitted sheet. I use a single duvet cover over mine :thumb

I reckon that with questions like this you have to go to a Cali meet and actually try them out under battlefield conditions. This sounds unusual I know, but if someone could be charitable and oranised enough - it would be possible to do some side by side test at a meet possibly with a poll at the end. Ie if there is a group BBQ or similar, do it then while folks are together. This would be hugely helpful when making decisions like this. Maybe they could be bribed with some free booze from other folk, or free food or something.

Throwing away £10 on a gadget that is useless is one thing. But Cali specific items like the bed and roof toppers, windscreen covers..... also things like cobbs etc, they are expensive bits of kit and the only way to compare with such a small number of Cali owners out there is to do so at a meet.

Memory foam varies considerably in thickness and density and how quickly it regains its shape. Price varies too with many companies offering a good, better, best type offering. The Cali specific items don't tend to offer this type of choice for he obvious reason that they are a low volume product.

I actually originally got one for a regular king sized bed (so it was long enough for the 2m bed as i am tall) which had very dense foam and had some so called magical cover based on space travel technology called outlast. This outlast is supposed to keep you cool when sleeping on the foam. Problem was I had to cut it to size and then roll it up for storage. it was called Snug Outlast luxury memory foam topper 5cm 75kg/m3 (King 5ft (150x200x5cm)) £158.00. The outlast is white so hoovers up dirt which is a problem. I was incredibly comfortable though

I like to keep a neatly packed van. so after the new Comfortz came out last year, i got one as storage was better as it folds neatly and takes up far less space on your rear shelf than the rolled up one. But the foam was not as dense or comfortable and 'er indoors wanted to use the original one. I was happy enough with the Comfortz as was, but faced with wife in confined space, accommodating her seemed the better of my two choices.

So it was out with my knife and hoover again. I then hacked the first one up using the three Comfortz pieces as a template so that it fitted in the bespoke sized comfortz one that is designed for the lower bed. When my mother in law comes over I will ask her to sew the outlast magic cover so it fits over everything neatly to hopefully get the best use out of my two purchases.

I am not sure the magic outlast thing actually works. I have not noticed a difference myself but that may be as we use sleeping bags. But I will give it a proper test when in Portugal in the summer as it will be much warmer than UK conditions and I will try sheets

I have a raskelf 2inch thick memory foam topper for lower bed. I think it was about £130, not cheap but is brilliant can't sleep down stairs without it. Worth every penny. Problem is I lent it to my sister to try in their cali & can't get it back now ! It does take up a fair bit of space, rolled up on rear shelf.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

After a lot of deliberation we've bought the 1 inch Zonesleep for the upstairs bed and it is fantastic. When it arrived we were unconvinced that something so apparently insubstantial could make a difference - but it really has transformed the "board" of a mattress supplied into a comfortable bed. So with double the thickness for downstairs - I'm pretty confident it'll beat everything else out of sight. Expensive yes - but it really is an impressive technology.

I use the Zonesleep for up top(just the single layer one) and it is amazing how much more comfortable it is for such a thin product. It would be good to hear how people get on with the double layered one for downstairs.

We have the 2 inch raskelf topper for downstairs. It is super comfy - love it!

S

we also have the raskelf 2inch topper super comfy stores rolled up on parcel shelf.

Anyone used the zone sleep lower bed topper ? I'm interested in it, but + £275 I need to be 1000% it is going to work.

Andy I think Malc has used it you could pm him or wait to cotf for a test :thumb

budget price and works well ,but maybe not the best ..
nicks comfortz topper ticks those boxes if shelling out so much at once puts a to big a hole in the wallet ..... :doh :doh :doh ;)

been there ... :lol: ( i think i'm still there ) :doh :shocked

choplee said:
budget price and works well ,but maybe not the best ..
nicks comfortz topper ticks those boxes if shelling out so much at once puts a to big a hole in the wallet ..... :doh :doh :doh ;)

been there ... :lol: ( i think i'm still there ) :doh :shocked

Lee we're all still there !!!

Hi Guys,

I'll have some memory foam toppers to try at COTF - with additional meet discount - Anyone is welcome to give one a try - as long as you don't fall asleep! :lol: - it may help you decide either way :thumb

:thanks
Nick

comfortz said:
Hi Guys,

I'll have some memory foam toppers to try at COTF - with additional meet discount - Anyone is welcome to give one a try - as long as you don't fall asleep! :lol: - it may help you decide either way :thumb

:thanks
Nick

:cool :bananadance :cool

I started with camping mattress ...self inflating. Took time to sort but ok
Next I bought memory foam from Comfort but sorry Nick it did not suit me and a bit bulky
Next I bought Zonesleep double for downstairs and had a fitted sheet made by local seamstress. It is light easy to clean very comfortable. So it takes seconds to make the bed with the fitted sheet in place. I am also very lazy and have to have things that work or they go......this works a dream so it's staying.

Hi Malc, does the Zonesleep iron out the lumpy bits (joins) on the lower bed well enough?

I don't want an expensive mistake!

Cheers

Martin

I can answer that for you. Yes it does iron out the lump in the seat perfectly and remember it
Needn't be a mistake as you can return it if you are not satisfied for a full refund :thumb it truly
Is a unique product

I thought Brandrup would do but the price is a bit daft.
Then spotted Comfortz but possibly not as good as Brandrup.
AND NOW I'VE SEEN THE ZONESLEEP ONES - ARRGHHH!!!!! :headbang :headbang :lol:

The main difference in my observation is that both comfortz and Brandrup are memory foam
Zonesleep is not

Thank you for all your replies. I have generally found memory foam to be a bit 'sweaty', so have taken the plunge and just ordered a Zonesleep lower Topper. Expensive - yes, but they did give me a £10 discount when I mentioned the VW California Club, which helps with the pain in the wallet! Hopefully the quality of sleep will be worth it. I will report back.

Yelekreb said:
Thank you for all your replies. I have generally found memory foam to be a bit 'sweaty', so have taken the plunge and just ordered a Zonesleep lower Topper. Expensive - yes, but they did give me a £10 discount when I mentioned the VW California Club, which helps with the pain in the wallet! Hopefully the quality of sleep will be worth it. I will report back.

I'd be keen to here your reports. We will be using a topper for our month in Spain and France which should be warm. Main considerations are comfort, fit and how easily it packs away.

I ordered a Zonesleep for downstairs and slept on it this weekend. I must say it is excellent. It irons out the lumps and bumps and gives a smooth surface. It is firm (which I like) but still has 'give'. It is cool to sleep on - I don't mean cold, but not at all sweaty (which i find with memory foam).

It's made up of a soft top and a mesh or web structure underneath. It folds or rolls up to a reasonable size. I will probably buy a storage bag once these are released. It is alose easy to wash at 40C.

Overall: highly recommended.

Yelekreb said:
I ordered a Zonesleep for downstairs and slept on it this weekend. I must say it is excellent. It irons out the lumps and bumps and gives a smooth surface. It is firm (which I like) but still has 'give'. It is cool to sleep on - I don't mean cold, but not at all sweaty (which i find with memory foam).

It's made up of a soft top and a mesh or web structure underneath. It folds or rolls up to a reasonable size. I will probably buy a storage bag once these are released. It is alose easy to wash at 40C.

Overall: highly recommended.

PHEW!! :mrgreen: :thumb

Back