Which part in the California is level?

Romke

Making the Most of our Coast
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
I'm using a two-directional spirit level like this one:
leaderloisirs_274x290_niveau-a-bulle.jpg

At the moment I have it stuck at the top of the sill of the sliding door, assuming the floor is level. Since it's a bit far away (hence difficult to read) from my driving position I'd like to move it to the dashboard, e.g. one of the three trays on top of the dash. Can anybody confirm that any of these trays are level with the base of the car?

Last edited:
Put it on the floor and then on the tray. If the levels vary then the tray isn't level with the floor.

Put it on the floor and then on the tray. If the levels vary then the tray isn't level with the floor.
Where I live I don't have any level surface and I'm just assuming the floor is level. I'd like to calibrate the tool as best as I can.

Where I live I don't have any level surface and I'm just assuming the floor is level. I'd like to calibrate the tool as best as I can.
Calibrate it with your kitchen top. That should be level when you camp, so when you are parked, find a spot on your dashboard that has the same reading as your kitchen top, stick your tool there, and it will henceforward indicate whether your kitchen top is level or not..

No can do with a Beach!
Well, the idea remains the same: calibrate it with the part you want to have level when you camp. If not your kitchen top, then your van's bottom? Or anything YOU want level.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

We have the same device and put it in the middle tray at the top of Dash and it seems to work ok

I put mine on the floor between the front seats. The carpet is spongy enough there for me to give the level a gentle push to get the bubble perfectly centred, thereby satisfying my OCD!

Andy

Are'nt you guys worrying about details , a good look with the eye will do ...
Certainly if just for one night , i don't bother not beeing 100% levelled.

I have never used a level.

I have one, a round bullseye thing that my Sister bought me, memories of caravanning and never getting it right...

but generally the cali is small and nimble enough to park whichever way finds a reasonably level spot.

I use android app clinometer on rear floor.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Worktop for us as this is the most important place as you dont want the kettle slipping off!

We have the same device and put it in the middle tray at the top of Dash and it seems to work ok
I miss my EC250.. Too much of a handful in a wet Welsh Forest but good fun.
Sorry, off topic. GasGas will understand.

S

Concur, if it looks level it works for me.
If I roll off the bed and end up by the front seats I made an error

Great news, Volkswagen have fixed every problem ever known on a Cail!! :veryfunny

Well I guess they must have done when this thread lists third in the week's most popular topics.

Rod

I've tried various things, but the simplest is to get a cylindrical object (thermos, lipstick, whatever), put it on the glass top of the cooker, and see which way it rolls (if at all). Easy.

We didn't worry about levels in the Granvia as we all slept the same way. In the Cali it is tricky as the bottom bed sleeps head at the boot and in the top bed head near the opening at the front. We put our 2 way spirit level (as illustrated) in the middle tray on the dash too. It's worked ok so far...

Wouldn't the easiest thing to do is get the bit of the van you want to be level levelled - say the table & then put the spirit level on the dash & pack it out until its showing level as the angle of the dash will always be the same angle relative to the table.

Parking on a flat bit of ground might help checking from side to side but not back to front as what you put in the boot can lower the back end considerably. By the time we unload 3 kids, 5th seat, 4 bikes a drive away awning, Cadac bbq etc what was level isn't any more!

Back