Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which is the best base to convert

I'd keep looking - you want the best base van to start with as you are going to be investing a lot on the conversion.
6 speed gearbox or even better a dsg
Highline spec is nice to have, aircon, parking sensors etc.
For cost I would go for a panel van or kombi (kombis were a lot more when I looked though)
If you do a good quality conversion then it can be a good investment.
Have your eyes open on costs though as they do mount up.
SCA roof (colour coded) £5k
Fitting windows £500-£800
California bed £2k secondhand
Top quality units, fridge, hob etc £2k+
Diesel heater (optional but nice to have) £500-£1000
Insulation, carpeting, floor etc £600
Awning (Fiamma, Thule) £500-£700

If you are going down the Beach route then I would go for a Caravelle. These have the ability to fold the rear seats into a bed. Go along to your local dealer and he should be able to show you the seat folded into a bed. Caravelles are registered as a M1 car on the logbook. So you can travel at 70 mph on the motorway.
If you convert a van to a Beach spec then you would not be able to register it as a Motor Caravan as you would not have fitted the necessary fixtures to allow this.
If you are going to add a pop top then the lower spec SE model would be better as the many of them do not have the rear overhead heating controls.
Most Caravelles do not come with the sleep pack which adds the rear bed extension, curtains and a torch. There is a company on eBay in Germany that can provide the metal frames and you just add a plywood top and covering to the frames.
It also might be worth checking if any of the older Kombis were registered as M1 as I think some might have been.

140, 6 speed gear box and tail gate all day long, far better base vehicle IMHO. 88k is not a lot if it has a full service history. Highline speck would be a bonus.

5 speed gearbox, 3000 rpm at 120 kph, 6 speed gearbox 2000 rpm at 120 kph. I’ve had both, a world of difference. Love my current 2014 140 Beach, bought with 40000km last July, currently 54000.

Hi lucky ones . Very happy to beginning the journey towards our family camper . We can’t go the whole way in one and bag a Cali so we’re going for a base van and then slowly bringing it up to shape ! My question for all u experienced Cali owners . Would u go for a t5.1 102bhp mapped to 130 with 29k 2015 .Barn Doors .2.8t(£17k)
Or t5.1 140bhp 6speed 88k 2014 .Tailgate 3t. (£18.5k)
In my usual ‘car’ world that’s a lot of miles. But that gear box/ride is definitely firmer and smoother feeling

Thnkuuu So Much really don’t know enough to make good decisions!!
I would definitely get a tailgate model. They look better and are more practical for camping. I would try to get a Kombi as a base model as they already have the VW sliding windows.
My conversion was on a T30 Kombi with a 140 HP motor and it runs and pulls very well. I am always a bit wary when remapping an engine that it could put extra strain on the components.
Just don’t do a cheap conversion or you will not be happy with the outcome

5 speed gearbox, 3000 rpm at 120 kph, 6 speed gearbox 2000 rpm at 120 kph. I’ve had both, a world of difference. Love my current 2014 140 Beach, bought with 40000km last July, currently 54000.
Currently 60000km, after 4500km in Scotland. The bikes, boots and whiskey glasses have also noted a strong increase in mileage.

I would go for the 88k one out of those two. But if i was on a budget and unless its a scene thing i would build on a different base vehicle altogether and that would be a citroen relay MWB mid top with a/c.
Thing is its so much cheaper because the roof is already there and a better one really and its easy to fit out yourself.
After much looking i ended up with a cali but self build it would have been a late boxer or relay.

Currently 60000km, after 4500km in Scotland. The bikes, boots and whiskey glasses have also noted a strong increase in mileage.
NO 'E' in Scottish Whisky. Heaven forbid that you are drinking the Irish version there.;)

Latest scientific research shows that “too drunk” does not apppy to Scottish gene pool.
Nice! I hope you don’t get too drunk. One wrong move and you’ve either got some liquid lava or 10,000 Volts on your top lip haha
[/QUOTE]

Word of caution for any potential van converter.
It appears that the DVLA will no longer change the vehicle to a 'Motor Caravan' on the V5.
numerous people are hitting a red tape brick wall on this.

latest I've heard is that only vehicles initially registered as 'Motor caravans' can have that on the V5. Cali's for example.

Current DLVA as below

//
Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

a door that provides access to the living accommodation
a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
at least one window on the side of the accommodation
If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

How to change V5C classification
DVLA will require photographic evidence of the completed conversion showing the changes made, along with a description of the work carried out and any receipts.

If you fail to provide sufficient clear evidence of the changes made DVLA may wish to inspect the vehicle prior to approving a change to the V5C.

Fill in section 1 if you have a new style V5C with multi-coloured numbered blocks on the front cover.

Fill in section 7 if you have the older style V5C.

Make any other changes, if you need to, and send the V5C with the evidence needed to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA .
Make sure that the vehicle is completely finished, clean and tidy and that all of the required features are in place and visible.

The evidence provided should be:

exterior photographs from the front and rear with the registration plates clearly visible - if the vehicle has a rear door it should be opened and showing some of the interior
interior photographs of each of the required features with the bed and table in the usable position
On the back of each photograph write a description of what the photograph shows, the date and the vehicle registration number.

What you are trying to do is to provide clear evidence that what you have made is permanently a ‘motor caravan’ and that the furniture and fixings have been fitted to a satisfactory standard. You need to provide the DVLA with sufficient clear evidence in order for them to simply change the V5C and send it back to you.

If you don’t provide sufficient clear evidence then they will want to inspect your van before approving it for a change in classification.

It will do no harm to send DVLA the completed engineer’s report that insurers require with your photographs and V5C. Your covering letter should explain that you have completed the conversion of a van into a ‘motor caravan’ and that you are now seeking to have your V5C amended. Make it clear in this letter that you understand the requirements and list what your vehicle has ie permanently and securely fixed:

seats and table
sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats
cooking facilities
water storage
storage facilities
State the date that your conversion was completed. Ideally this should be the date that is shown on the back of the photographs.

We have provided an example letter in rtf format. You can use this as the basis of your own letter. Make sure that you change all of the parts between square brackets and add anything else that you think may be pertinent.

Submit this and all being well your V5C will just arrive back amended. Currently there is no charge for this amendment.
//

Current DLVA as below

//
Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

a door that provides access to the living accommodation
a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
at least one window on the side of the accommodation
If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

How to change V5C classification
DVLA will require photographic evidence of the completed conversion showing the changes made, along with a description of the work carried out and any receipts.

If you fail to provide sufficient clear evidence of the changes made DVLA may wish to inspect the vehicle prior to approving a change to the V5C.

Fill in section 1 if you have a new style V5C with multi-coloured numbered blocks on the front cover.

Fill in section 7 if you have the older style V5C.

Make any other changes, if you need to, and send the V5C with the evidence needed to:

DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA .
Make sure that the vehicle is completely finished, clean and tidy and that all of the required features are in place and visible.

The evidence provided should be:

exterior photographs from the front and rear with the registration plates clearly visible - if the vehicle has a rear door it should be opened and showing some of the interior
interior photographs of each of the required features with the bed and table in the usable position
On the back of each photograph write a description of what the photograph shows, the date and the vehicle registration number.

What you are trying to do is to provide clear evidence that what you have made is permanently a ‘motor caravan’ and that the furniture and fixings have been fitted to a satisfactory standard. You need to provide the DVLA with sufficient clear evidence in order for them to simply change the V5C and send it back to you.

If you don’t provide sufficient clear evidence then they will want to inspect your van before approving it for a change in classification.

It will do no harm to send DVLA the completed engineer’s report that insurers require with your photographs and V5C. Your covering letter should explain that you have completed the conversion of a van into a ‘motor caravan’ and that you are now seeking to have your V5C amended. Make it clear in this letter that you understand the requirements and list what your vehicle has ie permanently and securely fixed:

seats and table
sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats
cooking facilities
water storage
storage facilities
State the date that your conversion was completed. Ideally this should be the date that is shown on the back of the photographs.

We have provided an example letter in rtf format. You can use this as the basis of your own letter. Make sure that you change all of the parts between square brackets and add anything else that you think may be pertinent.

Submit this and all being well your V5C will just arrive back amended. Currently there is no charge for this amendment.
//
Not since May 2019. See Post 37 above.
The above information will be amended soon according to DVLA.
It now has to look like and be easily recognized as a Campervan/Motorhome as well.

Not since May 2019. See Post 37 above.
The above information will be amended soon according to DVLA.
It now has to look like and be easily recognized as a Campervan/Motorhome as well.

Noted. My Quoted was last update on 16 May from DVLA website. (Cannot find any further info from DVLA after this date). Can’t see that anyone has the right to prevent a valid vehicle from being reclassified. Thanks

My first point would be this.
Modern Volkswagens aren’t reliable. They don’t build them like they used to and when they do go wrong. They cost a lot of money to put right.

Don’t listen to people who say things like, it’s barely broken in at 88k.
That’s nonsense.
Parts wear and things get tired.
Mine is barely broken at 140000 km. In fact, it is not broken at all!!
The first BIG problem was the EGR cooler at 40 000 km.
The last BIG problem was the drive shaft on the right side. Known issue, but at 90 000 km and 7 years, out of warranty.
The base of the van: T5 from 2003 is known as very reliable (not talking about engine).
The gearbox and clutch have already suffered from slight abuse on the campsites, but still holds it very well.

The base of the van is VERY reliable, the rest depends on (ab)use, or just bad luck.

This is just my experience...... ....

Noted. My Quoted was last update on 16 May from DVLA website. (Cannot find any further info from DVLA after this date). Can’t see that anyone has the right to prevent a valid vehicle from being reclassified. Thanks

I'm quoting from the T5 forum where a few have gone through all the hoops and over hurdles with photo's, receipts etc etc only to be refused and told what I put earlier.
There also seems to moves afoot by NPR for speed monitoring of vans/commercial vehicles.
Motorways are obviously OK but dual and single carriageways have 60 and 50 mph van limits.

Could be the death of DIY conversions and a bonus for second user Cali's.

If you've ever dreamt about doing a self build, these guys are amazing. We'd all kill to have a workshop like this

Morning all. I would dearly love a 'Cali Beach but costs and just one side door rule it out. If I had time to do it I would've gone for a conversion on either a SWB or LWB T5.1 or T6. I opted for a T5 Caravelle due to the various seating configurations that it offered. As it stands I'm thinking of adding a pop-top to it and then seeing how it goes. Just my thoughts.
BTW, love the Site. :)
I agree. If I were converting, I'd also chose a Caravelle, if affordable. Two sliding doors would be better than the Beach arrangement. It has the same seven seats on the same floor rail system as the Beach. The Multiflex should also fit without problems. Fitting a pop top would be tricky (but not impossible), as the ventilation vents and lighting run accross the roof in the Caravelle. I have seen one that had been done and it looked OK. The California rear door card with picnic chairs, O/S sliding door card with table should both be interchangable as should the blinds and
surrounding trim. I would even like a long wheel base version but that might be a little more tricky.

Hi / Lo Stealth roofs and AUSTOPS roofs can still make use the rear vents. They reroute the vents and wiring (think its around £250 extra). We looked at doing it but by the time you added everything up, it worked out cheaper in the long run to just buy a Beach, but would have loved twin sliders.

Hi / Lo Stealth roofs and AUSTOPS roofs can still make use the rear vents. They reroute the vents and wiring (think its around £250 extra). We looked at doing it but by the time you added everything up, it worked out cheaper in the long run to just buy a Beach, but would have loved twin sliders.
Yes, twin sliders on a Beach would be superb. How about a second picnic table in the second slider's door card as well? The cubby holes in the blanked off side are useful but they could easily be replaced by one of those Brandrup seat back storage thingys. I'm sure that the door cards in both sliders could easily have the alluminium rail for attaching the table to, encorporated into them. That wouldn't cost VW a fortune either. Then you could choose which side you want to attach a table.

If twin sliders work on a Caravelle then they would work on a seven seater Beach as well. Passengers can get out on the pavement in safety. No need for a U turn before letting them out. Better access and airflow when camping. The prospect of two awnings is also interesting. Awning room one side and sheldered/shaded place to sit and eat on the other. The only downside that I can see, would be losing the storage in the blank side. However , I've never found that to be particularly well designed or that useful. Another slider instead would be much more useful. Perhaps VW should make it an option on the seven seater Beach. However they won't.:(

Last edited:
Like some others on here I looked at conversion but found the maths didn't stack up for me and ended up buying an ocean. But if you really want to keep a cheap as poss to start with, and you don't need a pop top why not look
at Exploria they do a basic bed system in a van for a few hundred as a basic start point.

But before you decide I suggest you take a test drive in a Cali then a Kombi and finally a Transporter they are chalk and cheese. We all make compromises just make it an informed decision

Back