Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW hightop self build

It’s a bit of a chore, and forget it’s got 6 (jimny only 5).
Will come into its own in the snow and mountain roads, can’t beat proper gear braking. Plus cheaper to service.
No heated seats or tailgate are the big miss for me. Barn doors are super high so will work better for the way the bike store is being built. Tailgate is the best shelter after a hike to get out of wet gear so will have to work out something else.
I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with this. You can get an overland style privacy room with a roof that should fit on the high top over the barn doors. Obviously not as convenient as a tailgate but quick to deploy and does double service as an outside shower/toilet tent too?

I’m looking forward to seeing what you do with this. You can get an overland style privacy room with a roof that should fit on the high top over the barn doors. Obviously not as convenient as a tailgate but quick to deploy and does double service as an outside shower/toilet tent too?
I think ARB make some nice awnings that wrap around both the sides and rear. Might be something to look into! They also have an integrated LED light too which is quite cool.

I think ARB make some nice awnings that wrap around both the sides and rear. Might be something to look into! They also have an integrated LED light too which is quite cool.
Barn doors a full height so a wrap around awning wouldn’t work as would need to be mounted on roof pretty much.
Main thing is building out inside, L shaped bench seat (turns into 2nd bed), kitchen worktop, wardrobe and garage (with pull out compositing loo). So it’s usable.
Windows, heater, leisure bats will all come later (before winter hopefully).
On a tight budget at the moment.

Great progress already!
Lots more in progress, bench seating storage and wardrobe taking shape.
Will be a composting toilet that will slide through into a shower/kitchen area. The old chem one is just to help with build, may get a gottago loo as it works as a chem or compost if you get both containersIMG_6504.png

Lots more in progress, bench seating storage and wardrobe taking shape.
Will be a composting toilet that will slide through into a shower/kitchen area. The old chem one is just to help with build, may get a gottago loo as it works as a chem or compost if you get both containersView attachment 122081

I’ve always carried a Bivvy Loo in the Cali and have probably only ever used it twice. I would definitely go the composting route though if it were my build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like that, looks like it’s made from an old coffee sack?

Yep coffee sacks, you can pick out the trim colour £40 ish I think.
Had one on my t5 that I used up to t6.1 joker finally wore a hole in it plus wasn’t really right shape as had the lazy pedal cutout.

Rugs for bugs :thumb

Yep coffee sacks, you can pick out the trim colour £40 ish I think.
Had one on my t5 that I used up to t6.1 joker finally wore a hole in it plus wasn’t really right shape as had the lazy pedal cutout.

Rugs for bugs :thumb

Just had a look, sadly they aren’t compatible with Cali’s. I guess it’s the t6 footrest?

Just had a look, sadly they aren’t compatible with Cali’s. I guess it’s the t6 footrest?

It’s letting me choose it for cali. I did see it said that somewhere (can’t see it now)
Had it in both my calis with no issues.
All I can think is it doesn’t have the pop down plastic plug to keep mat in place.
Maybe worth asking them
IMG_6532.png

Couple of prezzies arrived, and it’s van stuff.
Some cool turtle seat covers (last set 2x captains lasted 10yrs plus).
Phone holder with built in wireless charging, only down side is CarPlay seems to only work with phone plugged in via usb as have the lower spec stereo (unless I’ve missed something).
IMG_6547.pngIMG_6546.png

Pull out loo taking shape, now need to decide whether to get a trobolo or gottgo composting loo.
Gottgo works as both chem and composting (not available until August). May go for the trobolo as heard it’s good on here and will fit in space better.IMG_6587.png

Back