Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Golf? no thanks, not for me (yes, the Cali is better!)

chockswahay

chockswahay

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
So here's the thing. My van is in for radio replacement and the dealer have given me a loan car for the week. Now I thought at first I would like it................. but no, I don't feel the need to rush out and get one!

What has surprised me is how comfortable the Cali really is........ it's a nice place to be. I like the elevated position, the excellent all round vision (light and airey), the Captain's Chair comfort with the arm rests, the DSG gearbox, the sheer feeling of space and the rock steady ride that comes with a 3 ton vehicle.

By comparison the Golf is (slightly) claustrophobic, a little too fragile in it's ride, the manual gearbox is good but such a faff and does not provide that 'limosine' feel, the space is small, no leg room for rear passengers and a small boot.

Of course much of this is subjective and personal, and the two vehicles are a little 'apples and oranges' so I appreciate not such a fair comparison perhaps. Which leads me to the very point that compelled me to write this..........

The California is a surprisingly comfortable, agile and easy to drive vehicle (in fact I always look forward to driving it). Of course I'd get much the same warm glow if I had a Caravelle but then again I would not be able to pull up and have a cool drink or a hot brew and some freshly prepared food, let alone the notion of sleeping in the van.

Is there a down side to owning a California? Well yes of course......... expensive to buy and run and not best suited to driving like I stole it! On a 'per drive' basis the van is pricey on fuel (gotta admit that the 52 mpg the Golf did over the last 200 miles is impressive stuff!)

After considering if I should buy a small 'run around' for well....... 'running around in' :D I find I can't really get too excited about the idea.

THE CALIFORNIA HAS SPOILT ME! :thumb:):D

So here's the thing. My van is in for radio replacement and the dealer have given me a loan car for the week. Now I thought at first I would like it................. but no, I don't feel the need to rush out and get one!

What has surprised me is how comfortable the Cali really is........ it's a nice place to be. I like the elevated position, the excellent all round vision (light and airey), the Captain's Chair comfort with the arm rests, the DSG gearbox, the sheer feeling of space and the rock steady ride that comes with a 3 ton vehicle.

By comparison the Golf is (slightly) claustrophobic, a little too fragile in it's ride, the manual gearbox is good but such a faff and does not provide that 'limosine' feel, the space is small, no leg room for rear passengers and a small boot.

Of course much of this is subjective and personal, and the two vehicles are a little 'apples and oranges' so I appreciate not such a fair comparison perhaps. Which leads me to the very point that compelled me to write this..........

The California is a surprisingly comfortable, agile and easy to drive vehicle (in fact I always look forward to driving it). Of course I'd get much the same warm glow if I had a Caravelle but then again I would not be able to pull up and have a cool drink or a hot brew and some freshly prepared food, let alone the notion of sleeping in the van.

Is there a down side to owning a California? Well yes of course......... expensive to buy and run and not best suited to driving like I stole it! On a 'per drive' basis the van is pricey on fuel (gotta admit that the 52 mpg the Golf did over the last 200 miles is impressive stuff!)

After considering if I should buy a small 'run around' for well....... 'running around in' :D I find I can't really get too excited about the idea.

THE CALIFORNIA HAS SPOILT ME! :thumb:):D
The newer golfs also feel very tinny/light and that has also contributed to the non-linousine feel. It all comes built to a cost now.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Dieselgate meant corners had to be cut. The lack of research and development and feeling VW can sell off its heritage, probably contributes. The characteristic thunk when closing doors etc in my previous Audi's and the tactical feel of the interior all contribute to that feeling of upper tier transportation.
VW will have a rude awakening then their diehard customers start to abandon ship and move to other brands like Audi for a vehicle that continues to believe in meeting certain standards.
Bellowsgate is likely the product of cutbacks in QC and R&D. I bet the T6+ Cali never even goes through a thorough leak stress test. If it did we wouldn't be dealing with these leaks in the poptop and rear door seal. The T5 used to get a proper drenching in the rain chamber.

Try a DSG Golf R ! I owned one for 5 years, very different to run of the mill Golf’s !

Interesting.....a 395bhp BMW X5 Hybrid is a much better drive, quieter and zero, i mean zero rattles. However its rubbish to sleep in.

Going to take my Volvo up to Wales tonight. Very easy armchair drive.....

Interesting.....a 395bhp BMW X5 Hybrid is a much better drive, quieter and zero, i mean zero rattles. However its rubbish to sleep in.

Going to take my Volvo up to Wales tonight. Very easy armchair drive.....
BMWs are so well bolted together.

The i4 is incredible to drive. It is the closest to a ‘proper’ car of any EV I have driven. And made on a German production line.

I have driven a Golf 2 1.6 petrol, Golf 4 TDI 110hp, Golf 4 TDI 90 hp, and sice 14 years my California TDI.
I still love the look and ride of the Golfs, but I would never go back for one, at least not for daily driving. Yes, except the Golf 2, the Golf 4 were much more economical (up to 2 liters per 100km), but the ride is so much more relaxed.
The only Golf I would think about would be a Golf 2 Country, but then only for fun.
All the downsides of the California, I forgive them for all the joy I get in return when going on holidays.

Back