Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW confirms plans for ID California electric camper van

Yeah "the ID Buzz is expected to be offered with a large 100+ kWh battery pack. The concept was unveiled with a 111 kWh battery pack, which is expected to result in over 200 miles of range on a single charge."

So, expect that range to be on the optimistic side even when the vehicle is unladen, then add the heavy kitchen/bed/poptop etc and expect the range to be waay lower. I would say that the camper version would need double the battery they talk about here. I guess maybe they could then dispense with the separate leisure batteries though and just use the main batteries for everything. And I think I read that the Cali would be long wheelbase version of the Buzz - so there would be room for extra batter under the extended floor.

In the VW graphic there’s a comma between VW iD and California. I would read that as saying they are making both the VW iD and the California, not an iD California.

In the VW graphic there’s a comma between VW iD and California. I would read that as saying they are making both the VW iD and the California, not an iD California.
its a full stop, not a comma and the article mentions an electric camper. Not for me though, i don't think battery tech and infrastructure is anywhere near ready personally. I wonder how long it would take solar panels to charge it back up, haha.

It’s really gonna need to have a longer range than 200 miles for us to consider. Also I would really like to be able to change it via the electric hookup in a campsite…. But I just can’t see how that will work without loads of campsites in uk and eu upgrading their electricity capacity delivery. On a number of campsites we have gone to in recent years the campsite hook up trips out if you try and boil a kettle.

I really want electric camper vans to be a success but I think it’s gonna be a faff for a few years……

Looks like EVs are not the cheap to run option compared to a Diesel engine like we thought they would be. A year ago maybe but with Electricity prices rising on a monthly basis it’s going to cost in both ways, buying the vehicle and running it as well. But who’s to say what price diesel in the future?

Looks like EVs are not the cheap to run option compared to a Diesel engine like we thought they would be. A year ago maybe but with Electricity prices rising on a monthly basis it’s going to cost in both ways, buying the vehicle and running it as well. But who’s to say what price diesel in the future?
To buy just the electric base vehicle it will cost £50 to £60k , then add the interior kitchen , pop top etc it could be £70 to 80k for a basic California, so it might be out of reach for most people

It’s really gonna need to have a longer range than 200 miles for us to consider. Also I would really like to be able to change it via the electric hookup in a campsite…. But I just can’t see how that will work without loads of campsites in uk and eu upgrading their electricity capacity delivery. On a number of campsites we have gone to in recent years the campsite hook up trips out if you try and boil a kettle.

I really want electric camper vans to be a success but I think it’s gonna be a faff for a few years……
We've owned and driven Tesla Model S since about 7 years now and regularly drive between Switzerland and the UK. Firstly, I have to acknowledge that the Tesla Supercharger network is unmatched in terms of the sheer number and the reliability and simplicity. It was quite a shock to add a VW diesel to the stable, but that's another story. Other charger networks are catching up fast.
The Tesla Model S mostly have a 100 kWh battery, including ours. The range is about 250 miles, somewhat more than the numbers for the California, which will be less aerodynamic. But we find our bio break needs rarely mean we drive that far between stops/charges. Increasingly, Tesla and other chargers are moving to a common connector named CCS, which is capable of recharging the Tesla from 10% to 85% in about 20 minutes. The new VW WILL be the same, slow charging is increasingly recognised as unacceptable. 20 minutes is barely time for a pee and a couple of smokes (my wife) and the Tesla is pinging us to move off the charger, so we carry on. Charge the VW at a CCS charger just before you roll onto your pitch. Newer CCS chargers charge at rates of up to 350 kW!
The key to owning a fully electric vehicle is you MUST be able to charge it at home. Relying on public chargers for day to day use is a pain. A low power home charger will fully recharge a Tesla (and probably the VW) in 6-8 hours while you are sleeping, on cheap off peak power, same if you are parked on a pitch for longer, you can dial down the power to maybe 6 amps/220volts. I guess the site owner will want paying for that, but I don't have a problem with paying - it's much cheaper than diesel! We estimate diesel costs to be seven times our costs of charging at home overnight for the same distances.
Feel free to ask any other questions about the viability of an electric California from the viewpoint of an experienced Tesla driver. Our next California will be electric, assuming all other factors are as good as the 6.1! We won't miss the fuel bills!

Last edited:
Thanks ...but er 'no thanks'. The real range of a fully loaded Camper at a speed we can make good progress will be way to low in my campervan life time.

We've owned and driven Tesla Model S since about 7 years now and regularly drive between Switzerland and the UK. Firstly, I have to acknowledge that the Tesla Supercharger network is unmatched in terms of the sheer number and the reliability and simplicity. It was quite a shock to add a VW diesel to the stable, but that's another story. Other charger networks are catching up fast.
The Tesla Model S mostly have a 100 kWh battery, including ours. The range is about 250 miles, somewhat more than the numbers for the California, which will be less aerodynamic. But we find our bio break needs rarely mean we drive that far between stops/charges. Increasingly, Tesla and other chargers are moving to a common connector named CCS, which is capable of recharging the Tesla from 10% to 85% in about 20 minutes. The new VW WILL be the same, slow charging is increasingly recognised as unacceptable. 20 minutes is barely time for a pee and a couple of smokes (my wife) and the Tesla is pinging us to move off the charger, so we carry on. Charge the VW at a CCS charger just before you roll onto your pitch. Newer CCS chargers charge at rates of up to 350 kW!
The key to owning a fully electric vehicle is you MUST be able to charge it at home. Relying on public chargers for day to day use is a pain. A low power home charger will fully recharge a Tesla (and probably the VW) in 6-8 hours while you are sleeping, on cheap off peak power, same if you are parked on a pitch for longer, you can dial down the power to maybe 6 amps/220volts. I guess the site owner will want paying for that, but I don't have a problem with paying - it's much cheaper than diesel! We estimate diesel costs to be seven times our costs of charging at home overnight for the same distances.
Feel free to ask any other questions about the viability of an electric California from the viewpoint of an experienced Tesla driver. Our next California will be electric, assuming all other factors are as good as the 6.1! We won't miss the fuel bills!
My main concern for an electric camper is that we wont see it till towards the end of the decade.

and the Tesla is pinging us to move off the charger,
Does it do that before it's fully charged?
I'm looking forward to an electric camper, but I agree I want a charger at home, and living in a tower block with a communal garage, its tricky...

Does it do that before it's fully charged?
I'm looking forward to an electric camper, but I agree I want a charger at home, and living in a tower block with a communal garage, its tricky...
The Tesla pings us as the charge limit we have set approaches. If the Supercharger is busy, Tesla may levy an overstay charge per minute that encourgaes you to move away so as to free up the place for others. Seems fair. Especially as our Tesla is one of the earlier versions where FREE Supercharging goes with the car for life! That's no longer the case with newer Teslas, but Tesla's charging prices are very reasonable, unlike other (oil) companise that are starting to develop changer networks.
We normally set 80% as the limit, unless we really need more. Charging any electric car is like filling a watering can from a tap. As it approaches full, you turn down the tap. Similarly, as an electric battery nears full, its internal resistance rises and the charge amperage falls. That means the last few % can take AGES. It's just quicker overall to continue the trip, knowing that the choice of the next Superchargers are clearly shown in the Tesla navigation. The expected range is constantly visible and is conservative. 80% is also kinder to the battery, although Tesla guarantees that for 8 years.
Communal garages - yes, tricky, but that is changing, slowly. By the time the electric California arrives, things could be quite different, with different regulations. But I reiterate - the first question I ask of anyone who shows an interest is "Can you charge at home"? Hardy souls manage without, but I don't recommend it!
By the way, someone asked "Can I connect my California to an electric car charger"? Emphatically NO! If you do manage to find the combination of connectors, electric car chargers of any type have complicated electronic interlocks that a California cannot answer, so no power at all will be presented to the cables. No damage - it just won't work!

I'm running a Skoda Enyaq 60 at present which I love, however from my experience the charging infrastructure is just not there.
As for range the WLPT is 253 miles on a 100% charge.
If charging to the recommended 80% real life milage in cold weather is only around 150 miles and that's with the optional range extending heat pump option.
You would need 150kw plus battery to convince me, ideally with a true range of 400 plus miles.
Batteries add additional weight and I suspect payload would be an issue especially if battery power came to the GC and the 3500kg limit.

I read an item by the Caravan & Motorhome Club on the issue of on site EV charging.

Biggest problem was that as Campsites are in Rural areas the local power grid wasn't designed for the power needed to charge EV's. The cost of getting a power upgrade would fall on the site (definitely not cheap) which will also have the cost of installing charging points.
Charges would have to be made which I suspect would be regarded as extortionate as there seems to be misconception that this should be free.

I’m going to wait for this tech to kick in, sounds very promising.

Scientists have developed a biologically-inspired membrane that could quintuple the charge capacity of electric car batteries, thereby massively increasing their range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read an item by the Caravan & Motorhome Club on the issue of on site EV charging.

Biggest problem was that as Campsites are in Rural areas the local power grid wasn't designed for the power needed to charge EV's. The cost of getting a power upgrade would fall on the site (definitely not cheap) which will also have the cost of installing charging points.
Charges would have to be made which I suspect would be regarded as extortionate as there seems to be misconception that this should be free.
Likewise, some properties need their power supply upgraded and this can vary from a few hundreds of £'s to thousands before they can cope with EV chargers especially if you add a heat pump to the mix.

Likewise, some properties need their power supply upgraded and this can vary from a few hundreds of £'s to thousands before they can cope with EV chargers especially if you add a heat pump to the mix.
Didn't quote a cost for getting the power grid upgrade only as not certain as to accuracy but £45K comes to mind for just one site.

Can't see many Glamping Sites providing EV charging.

How Green will the leisure world be with EV Campervans with an Electric Bike or two hanging on the back?;)

Funny, where I live, power is much cheaper at night because everyone is in bed, Nuclear is still running and the wind is blowing a hoolie in the North Sea. I recharge between midnight and 05:00. Little power is being used at those times, so no upgrades needed. I am even enrolled in a scheme where I get PAID to take the power when the Electricity prices go negative.
People also forget the massive amount of electrical power used by oil refineries. And no, I expect to pay for my power. It's still much cheaper than diesel!

Funny, where I live, power is much cheaper at night because everyone is in bed, Nuclear is still running and the wind is blowing a hoolie in the North Sea. I recharge between midnight and 05:00. Little power is being used at those times, so no upgrades needed. I am even enrolled in a scheme where I get PAID to take the power when the Electricity prices go negative.
People also forget the massive amount of electrical power used by oil refineries. And no, I expect to pay for my power. It's still much cheaper than diesel!
Talking about commercial Camp Sites not Domestic users in this instance.
Diesel price has a fuel tax plus 20% VAT added. Your electric has no fuel tax (some green tax) and only 5% VAT.

Can't imagine a site being very popular if on arrival at site about midday with less than 5% power left an EV driver is told that charging up isn't possible until night rate power starts.

Diesel price has a fuel tax plus 20% VAT added. Your electric has no fuel tax (some green tax) and only 5% VAT.

Can't imagine a site being very popular if on arrival at site about midday with less than 5% power left an EV driver is told that charging up isn't possible until night rate power starts.
Don't forget there are more taxes levied than merely VAT. The fuel duty is over 2x the VAT.
Percentage of the pump price that is duty, VAT & environmental taxes/fees56.64%55.75% (Diesel)

Don't forget there are more taxes levied than merely VAT. The fuel duty is over 2x the VAT.
Percentage of the pump price that is duty, VAT & environmental taxes/fees56.64%55.75% (Diesel)
Note! Fuel Tax mentioned before VAT added

But you wouldn’t expect to arrive at a campsite in a diesel van running on fumes and then expect the site to have a line of on site fuel pumps to refill, so why would you expect such a facility for an EV.? Just plug into a fast charging station that’s local to the campsite instead.

But you wouldn’t expect to arrive at a campsite in a diesel van running on fumes and then expect the site to have a line of on site fuel pumps to refill, so why would you expect such a facility for an EV.? Just plug into a fast charging station that’s local to the campsite instead.
You must live in the South East or a big city.

5 minutes to fill with Diesel for a 500 mile range. How long to charge an EV for a 200 mile range? An hour or so?

So you need 12 charging points for every Fuel pump or it could take a lot longer than 1 hr to charge.

You run out of diesel, it’s a trip to the local garage and a 5 litre can, or a tow to the garage.

Run out of battery, wait for a low loader.

Holidays in an EV camper are not going to be the stress free, leisure trips they are now. They will be quit limited in distance for many years to come.

Back