Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
Standard stuff - I reported front roof corrosion on mine in May last year and I received confirmation from AB Crush that they would undertake the repairs. In Dec I e-mailed them to say I may not require a courtesy vehicle and today they have said that without a replacement vehicle, they can do the work on 23/03. I was told that the work will take two weeks, but as they are finding corrosion on the main roof panels in several cases, if mine needs that work, this process will add time and need a warranty claim by my local dealer. I had asked my dealer to look for corrosion on the main panel in May, but he said he would not remove the seal so - who knows! as long as it's repaired!

Ours went into Heritage Westbury on Saturday. First impressions of them have been very good, so far. They have already checked and confirmed with VW that they will repair the main roof (Darren there mentioned that he has seen very few without main roof issues). He is also acting on our behalf with VW Customer services on a faulty EGR valve issue we have.

One thing of note; we were aprox 18 months away from having ours done, but as we don't need a loan Cali (esp in February), we were able to get straight in (and have a regular courtesy car). It's been mentioned here before but I would say give your dealer a call once you're "on the list" if you don't need the loan Cali, as they are able to do way more repairs than they have loaners.

It's funny but with any other car I'd really be seething about all this, however I can honestly say I've never enjoyed a vehicle so much as Juan (the van). I'll report back once we've him safely back home!

Andy

We got a call from Heritage today saying that ours has now been completed and is just due to be cleaned.

A week to the day.

Looking forward to having it back on Wednesday. Stupidly, have missed it being around!

Alan

Wilf was returned this afternoon via an AA relay truck, thoroughly cleaned inside and out complete with blacked tyres.

The roof looks perfect, both front and the top corrosion all gone. New bellows and the parking ding sorted to boot. Nine days door to door. A perfect job from Heritage and the AA. :bananadance

Now we need to get him reloaded for a trip this weekend.:thumb

Alan

That's good to learn Alan. Ours has just completed the roof work @Heritage, just having EGR valve done at same time, back next week. I've found Darren there a thoroughly top bloke so far.

Hi.

I'm looking for advice on my roof corrosion claim. I took my van into VW in Kirkcaldy in Sept 2014 for assessment and they took photos of my roof corrosion. I heard nothing further from VW and called on a couple of occasions to find out progress. In January 2015 I called VW again and I was told verbally that my claim had been approved and that someone from VW in Newcastle would be in touch. I heard nothing since then and I emailed VW in Kirkcaldy to find out what was happening. Their reply last week was that my claim had been rejected as my van was more than 6 years old.

When I took my van in originally, I said that it was more than 6 years old. I did however buy the van as an "approved used vehicle" from VW Kirkcaldy in June 2012. At the time the van was 5 years old and it became 6 years old on May 2013. My view is that VW have sold me an approved used vehicle with a known defect. Furthermore they made no attempt to inform me of this defect so I could make a claim between when I bought it and when the van became 6 years old in May 2013. My van is in immaculate condition apart from the roof corrosion and has less than 40k miles.

VW Kirkcaldy advised me that my only recourse would be to contact VW customer care to see if they would be willing to make some contribution to the repair.
Before I contact Customer Care, can anyone advise if there have been any other precedents for repairs to older vans or circumstances similar to mine?
Many thanks
Paul

Hi,
Give Benfleet in Newcastle a ring and see if they have you on their list for the repairs. If that is the case you no longer will need to speak with your dealer.
If you are not on Benfleet's list, get back onto VW customer service and find out why not when they informed you that you were on "the list".

As for me for the moment no sings of corrosion on my 2012 Cali SE .
But took a vistit to Camper Centrum Nederland today , witch for us is the place to be to forfil needs on your Cali.
They told they got a waiting list of 180 to do....
Problem is the company who delivers the new roofspoiler that replaces the corroded one can't deliver to the ammount askt by VW.....
VW does give warrenty till 6 years so at CCN they try to help the costumers first who's Cali is nearly 6....for the others they take note of a claim and put them on a list!
Was told the whole roof and mecanism must be taken of , the front part ( spoiler) must be removed ( glued whit two- componed glue) and newone put in.
If elevating roof itself has corrosion , the repaint it .
Hope it never happens to me!

As for me for the moment no sings of corrosion on my 2012 Cali SE .
But took a vistit to Camper Centrum Nederland today , witch for us is the place to be to forfil needs on your Cali.
They told they got a waiting list of 180 to do....
Problem is the company who delivers the new roofspoiler that replaces the corroded one can't deliver to the ammount askt by VW.....
VW does give warrenty till 6 years so at CCN they try to help the costumers first who's Cali is nearly 6....for the others they take note of a claim and put them on a list!
Was told the whole roof and mecanism must be taken of , the front part ( spoiler) must be removed ( glued whit two- componed glue) and newone put in.
If elevating roof itself has corrosion , the repaint it .
Hope it never happens to me!

Have you partly pulled the rubber seal off that goes around the edge of the lifting part of the roof ? Our 2014 Cali had bubbles in the paint, no bubbling was visible outside of the seal.

After all my correspondence with VW Customer Services, I received an email to say that they accepted my claim as from when the first photographs were taken in mid 2013. I have now been contacted my Benfields and they will collect my Cali within the next couple of weeks - exact date to be confirmed as my van needs an MOT which it will get tomorrow. I asked for detail of the repair they will carry out - this is the reply:
" With regards to the roof sections, the front is a complete replacement which has been through a different manufacturing process than the one originally fitted to your vehicle to combat the corrosion like reaction you can see. The main elevating roof which is removed as part of the front replacement is sanded back to bare aluminium around the affected areas, treated with the relevant primers and repainted, this is not replaced unless the corrosion is right through the panel showing perforation."

Let's hope that this will get sorted at long last. It would appear that if you don't keep in contact with VW Customer Services, you are in danger of falling off the radar. Not an ideal situation:(

By the way I'm probably one of the furthest away from the repair centres - I'm in Inverness and the nearest one is Benfield in Newcastle.

Despite several emails and telephone conversations I still seem to be no further down the line with VW Customer Care. I have made the point that whilst my VW was being serviced (via the dealership network) no attempt was made to check for a 'known fault' , despite their service claim that 'we know your VW better than anyone'. The volume of responses on here and the number of vehicles in the queue for remedial work is testament to the scale of the problem. I have now had an estimate from AB Crush in Cantebury and will pursue through the small claims court . Letters sent via registered post to VW this morning. Will update on any progress ...

Despite several emails and telephone conversations I still seem to be no further down the line with VW Customer Care. I have made the point that whilst my VW was being serviced (via the dealership network) no attempt was made to check for a 'known fault' , despite their service claim that 'we know your VW better than anyone'. The volume of responses on here and the number of vehicles in the queue for remedial work is testament to the scale of the problem. I have now had an estimate from AB Crush in Cantebury and will pursue through the small claims court . Letters sent via registered post to VW this morning. Will update on any progress ...

What year is your vehicle please?

John

My van was collected yesterday via a relay of breakdown companies from Newcastle to Inverness! I have a replacement and mine should be repaired next week. VW customer services and Benfields have been updating me every step of the way! I apparently will receive updates during the week of the repair, on progress, etc. I will update when repair has been carried out.

Hi,

I have an 06 plate Cali, been getting it ready for the first trip of the season and noticed that the 4 corners of the underside of the elevating roof where the canvas joins the panel have paint flaking off them. See below. Does anyone have any experience of this? Best solution?160315 005.JPG

Thanks

Paul

160315 004.JPG

My Cali is off to one of the 4 repair centres today, ABCrush (Canterbury), for its roof repair. It was originally booked in with Heritage Bristol as I live in Cornwall, for the work but without any contact from Heritage it was moved to ABCrush, as Heritage had to spread their high work load, which was a little poor from VWCC/Heritage. Surely the location of the vehicles, from a cost perspective would have been important when rescheduling the work? Nevermind the communications and service so far from ABCrush Canterbury has been faultless. The AA are on their way with the replacement. Hopefully all will be returned to normal in two weeks or so?

Mine was done at AB Crush and I had the van back in 2 weeks. They did a great job and I am very happy with the repair.

Hello pbroad it looks like you have the front panel corrosion that nearly every cali from 2006 to 2014 has suffered from including mine. read posts on hear quite an eye opener, VW refuse to do anything if vehicle is over 6 years old.

John

Hello pbroad it looks like you have the front panel corrosion that nearly every cali from 2006 to 2014 has suffered from including mine. read posts on hear quite an eye opener, VW refuse to do anything if vehicle is over 6 years old.

John

Thanks John, yep looks like mine is suffering like all the others. Will trawl through all the posts when I have a mo. Has anyone been successful in getting VW to repair any vehicles over 6 years old to your knowledge? Thanks for your help, Paul

Thanks John, yep looks like mine is suffering like all the others. Will trawl through all the posts when I have a mo. Has anyone been successful in getting VW to repair any vehicles over 6 years old to your knowledge? Thanks for your help, Paul

Only know of one english person but they live in France, VW are the pits as far as i am concerned. I had the front panel REPAIRED in 2009 July, and i thought VW would replace the front panel, but no!!!!!!!

John

Ok, will do some research, go see my dealer and see how far I can get. Thanks again. Paul

To pbroad,
I think if you read through this thread you will find that most posts refer to one of two problems or both.
1. Areas of galvanic corrosion on the front section of the roof, above the windscreen due to a problem in the alloy composition. This whole panel is being replaced if under 6 years old.
2. Areas of galvanic corrosion on the aluminium elevating roof under or around the rubber seal. Affected vehicles have a respray but with, I gather, a thicker zinc based primer.

However, in your case it seems to be on the underside of the elevating roof section, at each corner. Different to the others.
I would get the vehicle checked, take photos and if the Dealership refuse to forward a claim under the 12 year Corrosion Warranty then contact VW Customer Services direct.

Back