Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.3%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 248 47.5%

• Total voters
If they are not gluing the ones coming out the factory, then personally it just feels like a temporary fix, and something on a 2014 model I'm not happy with.

For this to happen on a 6 months old van points to more than water under rubber.
The thing has not been painted properly.
Someone mentioned it should heave been acid etched prior to priming.

Ambler said:
For this to happen on a 6 months old van points to more than water under rubber.

-my long-held suspicion also.
Gluing the seal on is a bodge - its simply not addressing the root cause. Is it really not possible to prevent corrosion without bodging? I am quite sure it is. Either the base paint is defective, the method of applying the base paint is flawed or the roof material itself (like the front panel) is defective.

The way VW are handling this issue goes from bad to worse.

777111 said:
Ambler said:

-my long-held suspicion also.
Gluing the seal on is a bodge - its simply not addressing the root cause. Is it really not possible to prevent corrosion without bodging? I am quite sure it is. Either the base paint is defective, the method of applying the base paint is flawed or the roof material itself (like the front panel) is defective.

The way VW are handling this issue goes from bad to worse.

I feel the same, the lady from the bodyshop was explaining the repair process to me from what she had remembered. The fact that she mentioned that the customer wasn't allowed to access the vehicle for 24 hours while the seal dried just come across as a very strange thing to say.

Who here has the latest Cali I wonder and can tell us if their rubber seal has been glued down.

I can't see why they would glue this down from the factory, as it's a replaceable part. Which means this 'repair' isn't really a proper repair but a temporary measure.

In my opinion there is no way glueing the seal on will stop water getting under the seal.

All it needs is one tiny gap on a seal that is about 10 metres long and the water will creep the total length.

SusiBus said:
Having previously been informed that the elevating roof repair did not require the replacement seal to be stuck on, I have now been informed by AB Crush that they ARE sticking the seal on with a special glue supplied by VW. The glue is applied all round the roof to provide a continuous barrier to stop water ingress and protect the "vulnerable" part of the roof. So there seems to be a disparity in the repair procedure as some owners are reporting that their seals are not being glued on.

This raises several questions:

1. Is there not a set VW repair procedure?

2. Hopefully the motivation for glueing the seals on is the desire to stop corrosion returning. The disadvantage is that it will stop owners checking if corrosion has returned within the extended warranty period.

3. Are the rubber seals on new Calis coming off the production line being glued on?

Please could we have some feedback from owners who have had their roofs repaired:

1. Glued?

2. Not glued?

3. Which bodyshop did your repair?

If you have recently purchased a new Cali, is the rubber seal stuck on?

Thanks.

For me (repaired Nov 2014)
- Rubber seal not glued
- Repaired by Heritage (front & elevating roof)
- (no sign of any tape on elevating section)

Hi,

We also had our Cali repaired at Heritage last October.

Summary.

1. Front section replaced and resprayed.
2. Elevating roof repaired/resprayed with new canvas fitted. New seal and not glued.

Cheers

Tom

Tomatoman65 said:
Hi,

Summary.

2. Elevating roof repaired/resprayed with new canvas fitted. New seal and not glued.

Cheers

Tom

So either the policy for gluing down the rubber seal is per garage, or the repair process has been changed since it's inception?

reserves said:
Tomatoman65 said:
Hi,

Summary.

Cheers

Tom

So either the policy for gluing down the rubber seal is per garage, or the repair process has been changed since it's inception?

The definition of the "repair process" (for main roof only at least) looks to be defined by the specific body shop carrying out the repair. So a good, well informed (-by VW who may or may not know what is going on!) body-shop will probably do a decent job.

Members here (Susibus) tried to get a statement from VW about what actual repair process would be enacted but VW declined to comment in any meaningful detail - declined to comment on most everything in point of fact!

With an absence of a directive from VW some owners will get a decent job done whilst some others are far more likely to get something that looks ok in the short term but may not be the appropriate remedial work that is required.

My Van has been booked into Benfield Garage North Shields for some 6 months now. It is due for roof corrosion repairs soon I hope. The van is coming up for 3 years old at the end of this month and I want to make sure any other corrosion issues are dealt with at the same time and under guarantee. At present I can only see corrosion on the panel above the windscreen. No corrosion is visible on the roof and I don't feel inclined to peel back the rubber seal to look further as it seems quite firmly fixed.

Should I look further? Have other members found significant corrosion under the seal if it wasn't already visible above?

mountainman said:
My Van has been booked into Benfield Garage North Shields for some 6 months now. It is due for roof corrosion repairs soon I hope. The van is coming up for 3 years old at the end of this month and I want to make sure any other corrosion issues are dealt with at the same time and under guarantee. At present I can only see corrosion on the panel above the windscreen. No corrosion is visible on the roof and I don't feel inclined to peel back the rubber seal to look further as it seems quite firmly fixed.

Should I look further? Have other members found significant corrosion under the seal if it wasn't already visible above?

Yes you should! It is very likely there is corrosion there already.
Do remember that the roof has a 6 year warranty now.
But if its going to a body shop makes sense to do both sections...

The seal is stiff to move at first - try warming it up with some warm water that should help. And aim for the middle of one of the sides first - moves that bit easier.

777111 said:
The definition of the "repair process" (for main roof only at least) looks to be defined by the specific body shop carrying out the repair. So a good, well informed (-by VW who may or may not know what is going on!) body-shop will probably do a decent job.

This cannot be true surely? Personally I do not want my seal glued down, especially if it's at the decision of someone at a bodyshop.

reserves said:
777111 said:

This cannot be true surely? Personally I do not want my seal glued down, especially if it's at the decision of someone at a bodyshop.

I would be pleased to be proved wrong :x - we see any evidence that VW have defined a process?

AND

I don't want my seal glued either - based on anybodies directive! It should not ever be necessary.

It took me ages to be persuaded to buy a campervan but once we started to look I could find nothing to match a California. We did the deal a few months ago and if all is on target we should soon be taking delivery of a 180 DSG with a shed load of extras. Having spent more time reading posts on this forum topic than any other I am now getting more than a little worried.

Do all California suffer from the corrosion issue and if so where is the best place to look when we collect the van? I am sure my enthusiasm will be rekindled once we get the beast and a start getting away but at the moment all I read are tales of woe and it is difficult to focus on being positive.

Jeff16 said:
It took me ages to be persuaded to buy a campervan but once we started to look I could find nothing to match a California. We did the deal a few months ago and if all is on target we should soon be taking delivery of a 180 DSG with a shed load of extras. Having spent more time reading posts on this forum topic than any other I am now getting more than a little worried.

Do all California suffer from the corrosion issue and if so where is the best place to look when we collect the van? I am sure my enthusiasm will be rekindled once we get the beast and a start getting away but at the moment all I read are tales of woe and it is difficult to focus on being positive.

There are 2 separate 'issues'

1) The front of the roof attached to the van used to corrode, this is now believed to be fixed on new Californias

2) The elevating roof has had corrosion issues where the rubber seal reacts with the paint, the fix doesn't take too long (done by local VW approved paint shop). There are confirmed cases on this on 2014 build California's, so no confirmed fix so far, however personally I wouldn't let it put you off too much.

That's forums for you always
Negative. Most people won't post about all the fun they are having except granny jen of course.
The front roof panel on your new van should be sorted
As for the main roof you have six years to worry about that

Jeff16 said:

This is the bubbling under the seal on my 6 month old Cali SE
To find this, raise the roof slightly, stand on the drivers or passenger step pull down the seal and take a look.
Remember the majority of post on any forums are about problems so don't get disheartened.
We still grin like idiots each time we use the Cali even when just going for a drive :D

My SE was delivered on the 1st December 2014. I might look under the seal on the 1st November 2017 but will probably wait until the 1st November 2020.
JUST ENJOY.
Remember today could be your last day!

WelshGas said:
My SE was delivered on the 1st December 2014. I might look under the seal on the 1st November 2017 but will probably wait until the 1st November 2020.
JUST ENJOY.

Dont forget it spreads upwards so might be worth looking sooner rather than later, it will also be helpful to the forum

Many thanks to you all for helping me get back on track and especially to snowy55 for the photo and explanation of where to check.Whatever, it cannot be worse than my Morgan where it was sent back to the factory on the back of a recovery wagon twice in the first month. No roof problems though, in fact no roof. Will update once the Cali finally arrives.

Calikev said:
That's forums for you always
Negative. Most people won't post about all the fun they are having except granny jen of course.
The front roof panel on your new van should be sorted
As for the main roof you have six years to worry about that

Quite so.
I have plenty of good stuff to say about mine - always had - always will. Wouldn't still own it if I didn't want to! I don't see anything that I would rather have.

The forum is about addressing issues, predominately that tends to mean negative stuff. But better to be in the know and get something done rather than get a nasty surprise?
Surely ALL vehicles have some sort of problem? I thought so...
The frustration here is about how VW handle this - and trying to get them to see customer perspective. There's optimism :headbang !!!!

It is important to check both sides.
Mine was only bubbling down one side.

As others have said, it does not stop you using your Cali.

WelshGas said:
JUST ENJOY.

100% agree - don't go looking for problems. Obviously if I got visible corrosion on the front panel, then I would take a look under the seal on the roof section and book it in for both, but until the end of the warranty ignorance is bliss :)

mountainman said:

It might pay for you to also check:

1. Your general paintwork 'pimples', I had them on my rear offside wheel arch and at first I thought it was just dust that had been picked up when being sprayed in the factory but it turned out to be corrosion beneath. It may just be my bad luck but after speaking to the garage I was lead to believe that 'inclusions' in the zinc coating is not an uncommon event. I had it treated when my roof was done.
2. Your rear door handle. The paint is now lifting on mine - the lacquer flaking and some white powder coming to the surface.
3. Check your sink for 'pitting'. I reported mine to VW who deny all responsibility and say it must be down to something I have used on it. Pretty poor stainless steel that can't take a cleaning with Fairy Liquid.

These were all identified about the 3 year mark on my California.

Regards

Dave