Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW California T5 ONLY Roof Corrosion - General Discussion

Where do you have the Roof Corrosion on your VW California?

• Front panel only

Votes: 194 37.2%
  • Main elevating roof only

Votes: 80 15.4%
  • Both Front panel and main roof

Votes: 247 47.4%

• Total voters
I had mine returned on Friday and the job looks well done. Nobody told me that the new fabric is much lighter and feels more like nylon type material. Also it lets in more light, which will be interesting with the kids in the mornings. It wasn't like the old bellows were damaged.
Will be putting it to the test this week.

I had mine returned on Friday and the job looks well done. Nobody told me that the new fabric is much lighter and feels more like nylon type material. Also it lets in more light, which will be interesting with the kids in the mornings. It wasn't like the old bellows were damaged.
Will be putting it to the test this week.
Perhaps your originals got damaged at some point during the repair process so they had no choice but to replace them.

We had a T6 loaner a few weeks ago and I am not impressed with the new roof fabric at all, I personally feel it is a cheaper material and a backward step IMHO

We had a T6 loaner a few weeks ago and I am not impressed with the new roof fabric at all, I personally feel it is a cheaper material and a backward step IMHO

The colour of the bellows fabric is the least of your worries with a California roof , I'm more worried about the reoccuring corrosion.

Perhaps your originals got damaged at some point during the repair process so they had no choice but to replace them.

Shorade told me the "kit of parts" that Vw supply for each roof repair comes with the appropriate bellows because the old bellows are held on by some sort off push in/won't pull out fixing, although with extra time and care they can be removed successfully.

Does anyone know approximately what proportion of California's are affected by the roof corrosion issue? I have a 2013 Beach, how likely is it that I will have the corrosion at some point in the future? Is it a certainty, or just a few unlucky owners?

It is frankly ridiculous: this will be the 5th time I have had to submit my roof details and 4 years since it was first logged.

Not much time left on your "6 year "goodwill" warranty extension" on the roof them!!

My raising roof has been repaired twice and the front panel once and it is only 2 1/2 years old.

The so called " 6 year goodwill extension to the warranty on the roof" is nothing of the the kind all it is is your rights as a consumer under the "Statute of Limitations Act" which VW has "spun", as doing all us people who have spent £40,000 - £60,000, as a favour.

Under the Supply of Goods (implied terms) Act 1973, that my vehicle is covered under, any warranty repairs must be "timely" and "satisfactory" neither of which were complied with on my vehicle, so if any more bubbling is found on either part of my roof then it can be rejected back to the finance company because we originally had a very small loan as part of the payment.

Does anyone know approximately what proportion of California's are affected by the roof corrosion issue? I have a 2013 Beach, how likely is it that I will have the corrosion at some point in the future? Is it a certainty, or just a few unlucky owners?

I would say very likely.

Until the introduction of the new repair system on 01-08-16 there were 4 body shops doing the repairs each one with, in Shorades case, well over 100 on their list, so it's not an isolated occurrence (despite what VW may tell you)

Have you had a look under the seal on the raising section off the roof?? and a good look around the fixed section of the roof - remember to look under the black plastic covers that go over the plastic pipes and front drain holes.

Mine Was checked on 3 year service and reported clear of blistering by dealer
Weather it's because I always make sure I apply a generous amount of wax bridging gasket and roof (stopping water penetration) may help
Also the van has never seen a pressure wash
Always hand wash
However 4 months on from dealers check I done a check the weekend and found a couple of could be minuet blisters,so will carry on enjoying my Cali until 6year period is up :)

Alan

Well this is not good news! I'll be calling them in the morning

Sorry - I've come to this a bit late, but have just noticed for the first time some blistering along the front edge of the cap above the front screen.
It's an 08 Cali, so it sounds like it's outside any corrosion warranty.
Can anyone give me any advice about taking it forward - e.g.:
  • write to VW
  • contact local dealer (who I don't have any sort of relationship with)
  • contact my preferred body shop?

...and any other information I can impart which would help my case, and get the right repair done.

Thanks

Weather it's because I always make sure I apply a generous amount of wax bridging gasket and roof (stopping water penetration) may help
Always hand wash
However 4 months on from dealers check I done a check the weekend and found a couple of could be minuet blisters,so will carry on enjoying my Cali until 6year period is up :)

Alan

Alan , did you checked it yourself ?
If not , lift the roof a bit for easy acces , pull off the rubber seal 50cm and check for bublles work your way arround ...

Always hand wash

Alan
The ' corrosion' is not caused by water. It is a reaction between the steel & aluminium causing the paint to bubble.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm quite excited. After waiting for about 18 months on the waiting list of Lookers at Newcastle it appears I've been moved to a new contractor at Southport and I've got an October date for what is presumably the 'new' repair to the front section and the main roof.

Apparently I'm going to get a call from them explaining the process but I've put them off for a week or so while we wander round France in our trusty van 'Flo'.

Our Cali has had the standard repair to address the roof corrosion issues with the front panel and elevating roof periphery at Shorade.
As most owners on here, I like to clean our vehicle.
Thought I would elevate the roof only slightly so I could give the rubber seal around the roof edging a wipe down.
Shock!
At the passenger side, front, underside of roof - corrosion, surely not!!!
There is a small quadrant shape on the undersurface of the roof and there it is more corrosion - gutted.
Vehicle approaching 5 years old - Why didn't it get identified when the roof was removed for the initial repair?

Anyone else affected?

Our Cali has had the standard repair to address the roof corrosion issues with the front panel and elevating roof periphery at Shorade.
As most owners on here, I like to clean our vehicle.
Thought I would elevate the roof only slightly so I could give the rubber seal around the roof edging a wipe down.
Shock!
At the passenger side, front, underside of roof - corrosion, surely not!!!
There is a small quadrant shape on the undersurface of the roof and there it is more corrosion - gutted.
Vehicle approaching 5 years old - Why didn't it get identified when the roof was removed for the initial repair?

Anyone else affected?

How long ago was the work done?
Have you pulled the seal off the elevating section of the roof and had a look underneath?

Work carried out Dec 2015, planning to remove adhered seal to inspect repair work at the latest possible point but before 6 years has elapsed since the vehicle was registered (Sept 2011). Any suggestions when to conduct final inspection.

Can anyone help me get started? I know I've come to this a bit late, but have just noticed for the first time some blistering along the front edge of the cap above the front screen.
  • write to VW - head office? Can I quote anything specific from them?

...and any other information I can impart which would help my case, and get the right repair done.

Thanks

@martinhjones

I don't think you will have any luck with VW, my was repaired under warranty, just a rub down and respray. Tried to get VW to replace front panel for 3 years but no joy.

Can anyone help me get started? I know I've come to this a bit late, but have just noticed for the first time some blistering along the front edge of the cap above the front screen.
  • write to VW - head office? Can I quote anything specific from them?

Thanks

VW will not cover it as it only goes to 6y ( correct me if wrong)

I think it is only a optical fault it don't effect the stifness of the body , as long you can live with it and it don't get to worse i would not do anything about it .
I you want the job done , look out for good reviews of those on here who had it repaired and go to that dealer.

If you want to get it repaired at your cost the new VW "cap" repair has just started it may be worth getting a price from one of the dealers undertaking this repair once they are up and running,

My question is this - has this manufacturing, production miss-match of materials problem been solved? or are the latest, off the line T6 Californias still cursed with this problem? For what it's worth my 2010 California started to have this problem and after two years I was still waiting for a "come in and have it sorted" call, that never happened, before I sold it. Am returning to the California family with a new order for delivery in 2017 and I would like to think that this problem has been, after six years, now been sorted out and that the latest T6 models are free of this defect. Should I be worried that I am about to buy a camper with the same old problem?

its more than more then 4.5 years but still dont know when i got my number.
can any one help how i can follows this?

thanks
JK

Back