Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle battery flat

@Gooldmike it's unlikely that you don't have camping mode on your T6.1. You can make it easier for people to help you by updating your profile.

@Gooldmike it's unlikely that you don't have camping mode on your T6.1. You can make it easier for people to help you by updating your profile.
That’s what I thought: 16 months old cali is a t6.1 and should have camping mode.

This is informative and recommended reading for anyone on this thread who's discussed the T6.1 charging system.
Yes, I was reassured too that the starter battery on my Ocean (MY23) is also trickle charged when plugged into EHU. :thumb

Yes, I was reassured too that the starter battery on my Ocean (MY23) is also trickle charged when plugged into EHU. :thumb
If you have a good read you'll see it's more than a trickle charge.

If you have a good read you'll see it's more than a trickle charge.
ah! I missed that,,, I thought it was a reference to the user manual.

How can I download/read the VW Self study program SSP 708 ?

Right, it's not 'trickle' but intended. It is also stated in the manual, just look at the external connection for the 230 volt power supply: the 230 volt power supply makes the following functions possible: charging the 12 volt battery + charging the extra battery + using the 230 volt sockets in the interior.

Right, it's not 'trickle' but intended. It is also stated in the manual, just look at the external connection for the 230 volt power supply: the 230 volt power supply makes the following functions possible: charging the 12 volt battery + charging the extra battery + using the 230 volt sockets in the interior.
The T6.1 charge may be intended and thd charging system is a different beast to the T6
, the charge generated/ transferred to the Starter battery on. T6 is not intentional.

it important to note this as the Original poster has a T6

The T6.1 charge may be intended and thd charging system is a different beast to the T6
, the charge generated/ transferred to the Starter battery on. T6 is not intentional.

it important to note this as the Original poster has a T6
Yes, It is certainly different with a T6 because the T6.1 has a completely different electronic system. The OP first mentioned that he has a 16 month California and that is a t6.1. Maybe it has changed to a t6 in the meantime, I don’t know. It’s all a bit weird: he claims not to have a camping mode and a little later he states that he has a t6.1.

Yes, It is certainly different with a T6 because the T6.1 has a completely different electronic system. The OP first mentioned that he has a 16 month California and that is a t6.1. If that was changed in the meantime, I and others would not have known about this then, wouldn’t we?
The OPs profile is incorrect!
Why so aggressive ?
I’m making the point that the T6 is different to the T6.1 in this respect, people need to be aware of the differences

Last edited:
@Gooldmike it helps others to provide correct and targeted information if your profile details are correct to the Vehicle you have. Your profile say T6 Beach. :thanks (Post #13 advise T6.1)

edit: nice edit of post 34 @calibusje

The the ops profile is incorrect!
Whey so aggressive ?
I’m making the point that the T6 is different to the T6.1 in this respect, people need to be aware of the differences
Well, I wasn’t ready with my post; English is not my native language and I’m not that fast with it. I am not at all aggressive and frankly I think that's quite a bold statement. Anyway, I didn’t look at the profile but at what he wrote: a 16 month old california is a t6.1 + in post #13 the OP itself says it has a t6.1. So I go on with that info. Again: the electronic system of a T6 and T6.1 is completely different.
If you would feel better and if it is a t6, I’ll just take my posts away, good? I’m not here to upset you.
Greetings
Calibusje

edit: nice edit of post 34 @calibusje
Again: I wasn’t ready. What do you want to achieve? I'm trying to help here and I get this, not nice.
I would like to see someone else make a post in another language that you don't speak well. I also don't have the language sense in English that you have because I speak Dutch and Flemish. That's why I change my post, I do this regularly, until I think that what I mean comes across that way and not in a wrong way. Try to understand this. Thanks.

Well, I wasn’t ready with my post; English is not my native language and I’m not that fast with it. I am not at all aggressive and frankly I think that's quite a bold statement. Anyway, I didn’t look at the profile but at what he wrote: a 16 month old california is a t6.1 + in post #13 the OP the op itself says it has a t6.1. So I go on with that info. Again: the electronic system of a T6 and T6.1 is completely different.
If you would feel better and if it is a t6, I’ll just take my posts away, good?
Greetings
Calibusje
What ?
Bold statement?
Your changes to your post made it less aggressive!
post 13 established a T6.1 correct, his profile still says T6, he hasn’t got constant charge ? He came here for help like others do, understanding the t6 & 6.1 are very different is important and is certainly not clear from this muddle of a thread.

What I want to achieve is an informative thread, that make it clear that there are differences between the T6 & T6.1 charging systems

You get what ? What’s Not nice ?

What ?
Bold statement?
Your changes to your post made it less aggressive!
post 13 established a T6.1 correct, his profile still says T6, he hasn’t got constant charge ? He came here for help like others do, understanding the t6 & 6.1 are very different is important and is certainly not clear from this muddle of a thread.

What I want to achieve is an informative thread, that make it clear that there are differences between the T6 & T6.1 charging systems

You get what ? What’s Not nice ?
Really? You still don’t understand? So you accuse me of not wanting to help; understood. Man, please put me on ignore. I’ve had it with people who do not understand sense.

Again: I wasn’t ready. What do you want to achieve? I'm trying to help here and I get this, not nice.
I would like to see someone else make a post in another language that you don't speak well. I also don't have the language sense in English that you have because I speak Dutch and Flemish. That's why I change my post, I do this regularly, until I think that what I mean comes across that way and not in a wrong way. Try to understand this. Thanks.
Really? You still don’t understand? Man, please put me on ignore. I’ve had it with people who do not understand sense.
Thank you for moderating your own posts.
I still don’t understand why you are coming on all aggressive In the subsequent posts ?
I admire that you take time to post in a tongue that is not your first language.
, at no stage have i rubbished your posts, I have merely added to the thread , if you are not ready to posts , you are under no time pressure to post until you are happy with the content.
I am guilty of correcting posts as I go, which is quite right To do so.

Im not sure what it is you think I don’t understand ? Or why indeed you appear have an issue with my posts ?

Thank you for moderating your own posts.
I still don’t understand why you are coming on all aggressive In the subsequent posts ?
I admire that you take time to post in a tongue that is not your first language.
, at no stage have i rubbished your posts, I have merely added to the thread , if you are not ready to posts , you are under no time pressure to post until you are happy with the content.
I am guilty of correcting posts as I go, which is quite right To do so.

Im not sure what it is you think I don’t understand ? Or why indeed you appear have an issue with my posts ?
You’re not sure what it is I think you don’t understand? Post something in Dutch without using a translation aid. See how smoothly it goes and don't overread anything (because apparently that's not allowed according to you). Don’t change anything.
I have an issue with your post because you said it was aggressive; It didn't come across that way (for me anyway but again: English is not my native language) and it certainly wasn't the intention! I have also clearly explained how I posted. Should this be done again? Never mind, its not what I wanted but it's maybe best that we no longer see posts from each other here. Peace of mind. Do not you think so? Now you try to be somewhat semi-understanding and then not at all, I don't get it. I can also respond to posts, including yours.
So, If you don't realize how you come across to me, I can't change that; you literally asked me: why so aggressive and I still think this is a bold statement.
This is how I post and I've been doing it that way since 2013. How long has it been bothering you then? I think you might have a concern with me and took that in consideration when you placed your reaction about me being aggressive. I now just want some understanding and if you cannot muster that, then it is best not to read anything more from me. I'm posting to help and thought you figured that out a long time ago.

Edit: if what I posted now doesn't come across well, I couldn't do better. In addition to giving (and also receiving) help and information here on the forum, I thought I would also practice my English well so that I can use it easily on the trips we sometimes make to the UK. Maybe it's best to practice my French (this is a joke just to be clear).

Last edited:
You’re not sure what it is I think you don’t understand? Post something in Dutch without using a translation aid. See how smoothly it goes and don't overread anything (because apparently that's not allowed according to you). Don’t change anything.
I have an issue with your post because you said it was aggressive; It didn't come across that way (for me anyway but again: English is not my native language) and it certainly wasn't the intention! I have also clearly explained how I posted. Should this be done again? Never mind, it's best that we no longer see posts from each other here. Peace of mind. Do not you think so? Now you try to be somewhat semi-understanding and then not at all, I don't get it. I can also respond to posts, including yours.
So, If you don't realize how you come across to me, I can't change that; you literally asked me: why so aggressive and I still think this is a bold statement.
This is how I post and I've been doing it that way since 2013. How long has it been bothering you then? I think you might have a concern with me and took that in consideration when you placed your reaction about me being aggressive. I now just want some understanding and if you cannot muster that, then it is best not to read anything more from me. I'm posting to help and thought you figured that out a long time ago.

Edit: if what I posted now doesn't come across well, I couldn't do better. In addition to giving (and also receiving) help and information here on the forum, I thought I would practice my English well so that I can use it easily on the trips we sometimes make to the UK. Maybe it's best to practice my French (this is a joke just to be clear).
Wow !
thanks for the non aggressive explanation :thumb

If your California just stands still for weeks (even 5 weeks), closed without further action, the vehicle will use little of the battery(s). However, if you open doors and turn on the interior lights and so on as many times as you describe (multiple times), you would be better off using camping mode: this, as it were, disconnects the car part from the camping part and will significantly save your batteries (all of them). First thing when ‘camping’: activate camping mode.
You did not mention in your original post that you are on EHU, but yes you are apparently: well then it could be something else because normally you charge all batteries via the cable (unless someone refutes this because I am not 100% sure about this , I should look it up). Anyway: good luck with it.
Edit: you don’t have camping mode?
I can only speak for a T5 but the EHU does not charge up the engine battery. You must drive it to charge it, or take it out and put it on a battery charger.

I can only speak for a T5 but the EHU does not charge up the engine battery. You must drive it to charge it, or take it out and put it on a battery charger.
T6.1 it does. All in the manual; Electronically it is a completely different vehicle, everything else is pretty much the same ;)

Just get one of these and plug one into the leisure 12v dash socket, the other into the main battery 12v dash socket; Will then trickle charge the engine battery from the leisure. Its easy to shorten the cable to make it more compact. (We had one on our old van as the victron solar would only charge the lesiure battery):

Hi, I’m currently down in Spain on a campsite . I’ve been static for two weeks . Today, I checked to make sure the vehicle started . It didn’t . My assumption was that the vehicle battery was flat . However , nothing was on that should have drained it ( ie lights etc)
I borrowed a battery charger from a neighbour on the campsite . When I checked , the battery was flat . It’s now charging overnight , and it appears to be charging up — will retry starting tomorrow morning
However my question is what could have caused the battery to go flat .? The vehicle is only 16 months old , so would have thought the battery was ‘ healthy’ .
I’m just wondering if it’s to do with 2 things :-
The constant opening and closing of the door .( have power latching)
The antitheft alarm system is switched on every time we lock it .
????

Would be interested in people’s thoughts

Mike
Are you not married?

Doesn’t your wife insist on you driving to a local village for lunch every 3 days? Mine does.

What’s good for the battery, is good for the marriage!

Last edited:
Just get one of these and plug one into the leisure 12v dash socket, the other into the main battery 12v dash socket; Will then trickle charge the engine battery from the leisure. Its easy to shorten the cable to make it more compact. (We had one on our old van as the victron solar would only charge the lesiure battery):

@Ch1pbutty now this is interesting. You own and tried one of these with a T5? I'd be interested to know how exactly to use it. You mention which 12v sockets to use, but I must confess I don't understand right away which sockets you are referring to. Would you be so kind to elaborate so that I could understand better?
plug one into the leisure 12v dash socket, the other into the main battery 12v dash socket; Will then trickle charge the engine battery from the leisure.

@Ch1pbutty now this is interesting. You own and tried one of these with a T5? I'd be interested to know how exactly to use it. You mention which 12v sockets to use, but I must confess I don't understand right away which sockets you are referring to. Would you be so kind to elaborate so that I could understand better?
12v socket powered from Engine Battery.20240307_085237.jpg

Dashboard 12v socket powered by Leisure Batteries. 20240307_085243.jpg