Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using normal plug socket on non electric pitch

S

Steve Hart

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi all,

Still fairly new to the Cali world and last week we went off electric hook up for the first time. We couldn't use the normal plus sockets, they just didn't work, am I missing anything? The fridge was still working but couldn't get the normal plus socket to work for hairdryer etc?

Any help appreciated.

Steve

Hi all,

Still fairly new to the Cali world and last week we went off electric hook up for the first time. We couldn't use the normal plus sockets, they just didn't work, am I missing anything? The fridge was still working but couldn't get the normal plus socket to work for hairdryer etc?

Any help appreciated.

Steve
You got be hooked up to 240v to use the plug socket behind passenger seat on side of kitchen unit I’m afraid.

You got be hooked up to 240v to use the plug socket behind passenger seat on side of kitchen unit I’m afraid.
Ok many thanks Azteccamper. Is there a way you can get an adapter for the 12 volt or the 2 pin behind the seat do you know?

Ok many thanks Azteccamper. Is there a way you can get an adapter for the 12 volt or the 2 pin behind the seat do you know?
Yes I think you can. It’s a euro plug I think. We plug an EU mozzie plug in it sometimes.
Hairdryers use an epic amount of power so my wife often uses power in shower block instead.

Yes I think you can. It’s a euro plug I think. We plug an EU mozzie plug in it sometimes.
Hairdryers use an epic amount of power so my wife often uses power in shower block instead.
You’re definitely right @lamberthcali I thought the shop sold adapters but cannot find one. There is 150w limit though I believe which really limits its use to minor electrical items.
Just say her hair looks lovely when she lets it dry naturally @stevehart ;)

Brilliant thank you for responding Lambeth Cali

You’re definitely right @lamberthcali I thought the shop sold adapters but cannot find one. There is 150w limit though I believe which really limits its use to minor electrical items.
Just say her hair looks lovely when she lets it dry naturally @stevehart ;)
That hilarious will let her know, thanks both

Hi all,

Any help appreciated.

Steve

As others have commented, the 13 pin 230v socket only works when you are hooked up to a 230v power supply.

The fridge is 12v powered off the leisure batteries.

The invertor will only give you 150 w which is pretty well useless for anything domestic and will flatten your leisure batteries quick time if used to max. My hair is also "Air dried" when off grid :)

As others have commented, the 13 pin 230v socket only works when you are hooked up to a 230v power supply.

The fridge is 12v powered off the leisure batteries.

The invertor will only give you 150 w which is pretty well useless for anything domestic and will flatten your leisure batteries quick time if used to max. My hair is also "Air dried" when off grid :)
Many thanks GrannyJen, love this forum.

Appreciated all.

Steve

I resorted to the manual on my first trip in our new 6.1 last week and discovered that the 3 pin socket on the side of the kitchen is only useable when on EHU but the one on the side of the driver's seat works on leisure batteries. It worked fine for laptop charger (not enough hair for hair dryer).

I resorted to the manual on my first trip in our new 6.1 last week and discovered that the 3 pin socket on the side of the kitchen is only useable when on EHU but the one on the side of the driver's seat works on leisure batteries. It worked fine for laptop charger (not enough hair for hair dryer).
OOOH! I did not know there was a plug socket on the side of the drivers seat! Am off to look......thank you as wondering how to charge a laptop when away! (resorted to wearing hats when away ;-) )

Be careful using the 150w socket, it can destroy certain electrical items. It has ended the life of the following for us:

1. Oral B Tooth brush charger
2. Electric blanket controller

definitely don’t need an electric blanket, definitely need a well charged tooth brush.

Andrew.

Be careful using the 150w socket, it can destroy certain electrical items. It has ended the life of the following for us:

definitely don’t need an electric blanket, definitely need a well charged tooth brush.

Andrew.
Not sure if people are aware that the 2 pin “euro“ socket on the B pillar is not the same as a 2 pin shaver socket. The plug pins are a different size and spacin.

Andrew.
USB toothbrush charger should be far more efficient than stepping to 240v and then back again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FH7M2P1/?tag=eliteelect-21

I personally find that the inverter is an unsung hero for low wattage items. Often hang a 4 gang extension of it (via adaptor cable), and run Ikea lamp, tv, tv aerial, charge phones etc when not connected to mains. Never had a problem with it draining the leisure battery. In face never left an overnight stay with less than 80% battery reserve showing. The batteries are 9 years old this month but still going strong, and I very rarely charge them for 24 hours as is suggested. Treat 'em mean keep 'em keen seems to work for me!

Andrew.
You can get a USB charger for your toothbrush on amazon.

OOOH! I did not know there was a plug socket on the side of the drivers seat! Am off to look......thank you as wondering how to charge a laptop when away! (resorted to wearing hats when away ;-) )
I have just been to take a look and can't find one, I have an Ocean Cali 16 plate?

I have just been to take a look and can't find one, I have an Ocean Cali 16 plate?
Yours would be a 2 pin socket on the passenger side B pillar, at the end of the kitchen.

Back