Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Use camping gaz CV300 as emergency spare gas bottle?

edocali

edocali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
With the search function gone again I can't find what I am looking for ...

Can I use one an adapter like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001HXM0XO/?tag=eliteelect-21
to connect a small CV300 gas bottle to the California ?
It can not attach to the regulator, perhaps it can be used to screw the valve that sits on top of the 907 to a CV300 ?

I would like to keep a small CV300 gas bottle as emergency spare to simply finish cooking a meal if my large 907 bottle runs out.
I do not want to carry a 2nd 907 or 904.

Can anyone help please?
I would just need to find the right connector/adapter to use a small gas canister (eg a CV300) temporarily when my campingaz 907 runs out of gas.
I don't want to cut the pipe and replace the existing cali regulator, ideally just connect to it.

Hi @edocali
As an alternative I carry a Jetboil in the drawer under the rear seats. Been doing it for ~9years now.
I never worry about running out of gas. It happened to me this week so I just used the Jetboil for a brew.

Its also handy if you want to cook something outside with a strong aroma or something that spits to keep your Cali pristine.

If I am going on a long trip I always put a new 907 on, and use up the partially filled bottle on my return for day trips, overnighters or a weekend trip.

The Jetboil is always in the Cali as redundancy in case your regulator fails or some other issue arises.
Jetboils have all different sizes of bottles readily available.

Would carrying a 901 cylinder not be easier than fiddling around with adaptors?

Might take a bit of searching to find a 901.

Would carrying a 901 cylinder not be easier than fiddling around with adaptors?

Might take a bit of searching to find a 901.
Can they still be exchanged in the UK? I've got one but I think I read on here they're EU only now. Certainly none of the local suppliers advertise stock.

Hi @edocali
As an alternative I carry a Jetboil in the drawer under the rear seats. Been doing it for ~9years now.
I never worry about running out of gas. It happened to me this week so I just used the Jetboil for a brew.

Its also handy if you want to cook something outside with a strong aroma or something that spits to keep your Cali pristine.

If I am going on a long trip I always put a new 907 on, and use up the partially filled bottle on my return for day trips, overnighters or a weekend trip.

The Jetboil is always in the Cali as redundancy in case your regulator fails or some other issue arises.
Jetboils have all different sizes of bottles readily available.
My approach is the exactly the same. We carry a Soto Fusion Trek stove - tiny, brilliant bit of kit. Our Cali is just coming up to 4 years old and at Easter the regulator packed up. We just cooked on the little emergency gas stove instead. Not the cheapest gas stove, but totally worth it.

Thanks all,
I'd rather not get a campingaz 901 or 904 as they're large, expensive and I would rather refill my 907 as soon as possible. Just swapping in a small canister to finish off whatever was boiling that evening, inside the van. For outdoor use I carry a snow peak firepit :)
So I was intrigued by using an adapter as a stopgap. Is it doable ?

Not sure you can do this as the CR300 is presumably High Pressure whilst the campingaz 907 is Low Pressure. The GOK regulator is presumably not designed to receive HP. Cadac do an HP to LP converter but you would probably need a quick release in the existing pipe to then swap it over. Safer to just do as already suggested and have a back stove until you can get the bottle replaced.

thanks @pastyman - I had hoped I did not need a pipe change just using some magic connector between the existing one and a cheapo small bottle

I just refill my 907 from a 15kg Calor …….. we have two cylinders so just swap out for a full one if away on a long trip.

If you don’t want to do that another choice is weigh the cylinder……. they hold 2.7kg and the tare weight is stamped on the side so deduct one from the other.

I get over six refills for £53 :thumb

Thanks @chockswahay yes I do weigh my 907.
I would just like to be able to let it run till empty
and have a safe/super small backup solution for the contingency.

I once had a spare 904. Not what I want to carry around anymore.

Thanks @Offbeatexploring !
I had the CHF AV 121 valve but it did not connect to the Cali regulator. I suppose the 'craft' adapter is what I need to add ! I'll see if I can find one in the UK
If you find one and it works please update this post. There must be others thinking the same.

My approach is the exactly the same. We carry a Soto Fusion Trek stove - tiny, brilliant bit of kit. Our Cali is just coming up to 4 years old and at Easter the regulator packed up. We just cooked on the little emergency gas stove instead. Not the cheapest gas stove, but totally worth it.

I was a bit shocked by the price but it looks well designed and compact. What gas canisters do you use. Was looking for Soto gas but not many places have it.

With the search function gone again I can't find what I am looking for ...

Can I use one an adapter like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001HXM0XO/?tag=eliteelect-21
to connect a small CV300 gas bottle to the California ?
It can not attach to the regulator, perhaps it can be used to screw the valve that sits on top of the 907 to a CV300 ?

I would like to keep a small CV300 gas bottle as emergency spare to simply finish cooking a meal if my large 907 bottle runs out.
I do not want to carry a 2nd 907 or 904.

This is what I did - simple and you can easily use the big bottle outside or whatever combination you want.

I just refill my 907 from a 15kg Calor …….. we have two cylinders so just swap out for a full one if away on a long trip.

If you don’t want to do that another choice is weigh the cylinder……. they hold 2.7kg and the tare weight is stamped on the side so deduct one from the other.

I get over six refills for £53 :thumb
Hello

Can you explain how to do this, it sounds like a major money saver. Thank you

Hello

Can you explain how to do this, it sounds like a major money saver. Thank you
I have detailed how to do it on another thread. When the search function is working again have a look (I think it was under diy refill or refillable gas cylinder….. some thing like that). I am not at home where the kit is right now so can not quote the bits of kit you will need. It is easily done with care and an accurate set of weighing scales. You will need the correct fitting to go from Calor 15Kg to the nozzle on the Camping Gaz cylinder.

@paddymounter

I was a bit shocked by the price but it looks well designed and compact. What gas canisters do you use. Was looking for Soto gas but not many places have it.
Soto is roll royce, look for

HIKENTURE Camping Stove on amazon. any gas cartridge with screw mount will fit. Primus, soto , …​