Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Turbo ??

Chico

Chico

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
ENGINE WARNING / TURBO ??
Hi , my 2007 Cali 2.5 has the engine workshop light coming on . Its intermittent. tends to happen first thing when you start a journey. If you turn off the ignition and back on again it goes off and then can generally be fine all day . Just drove Pembrokeshire to Cornwall , 6 hours with no problems , no light . Drove to Edinburgh recently , no light . its totally random ? Ive had the van on a diagnostics and it said the turbo was faulty. The mechanic says the turbo is blocked or something along those lines , and instead of cleaning it out , just replace it , as cleaning it out may just result in the problem re-occurring ?? Any feedback on this issue ?
Also if i do need a new Turbo , where do i get one, the correct one , or any other suggestions ?? Oh finally the van doesn't go into Limp Mode !!

Hi , my 2007 Cali 2.5 has the engine workshop light coming on . Its intermittent. tends to happen first thing when you start a journey. If you turn off the ignition and back on again it goes off and then can generally be fine all day . Just drove Pembrokeshire to Cornwall , 6 hours with no problems , no light . Drove to Edinburgh recently , no light . its totally random ? Ive had the van on a diagnostics and it said the turbo was faulty. The mechanic says the turbo is blocked or something along those lines , and instead of cleaning it out , just replace it , as cleaning it out may just result in the problem re-occurring ?? Any feedback on this issue ?
Also if i do need a new Turbo , where do i get one, the correct one , or any other suggestions ?? Oh finally the van doesn't go into Limp Mode !!
I had this on my 07 2.5BNZ engined Transporter I converted. No one could tell me what the answer was apart from something to do with turbo. Cannot remember fault code (think it was to do with over-boost or under-boost). It would happen more in the winter months. Carried on driving it all over Europe for 4 years and sold it on when buying current Cali - I did inform new owner who wasn’t bothered as he was a mechanic. Still see it driving around locally 7yrs later.

I'm not familiar with that engine specifically, but if it is a variable came turbo, it might be that the variable vane part is sticking. I had an old Audi a4 years ago that did similar, it eventually got worse and would go into limp mode when pushing the car harder up a hill. But switching off and back on again would sort it all out. If it's the same problem then the variable vane bit gets briefly stuck which causes over boost and triggers limp mode. I was told then that it wasn't worth cleaning and wouldn't be possible to open, it would all be stuck etc. Noone would clean it, all wanted to replace the turbo. In the end I did it myself and it all went well but was a long job. It was fine all the time I had it after that, a couple of years and 40000 miles. But I can see the mechanics point it's an awful lot of labour to get them out usually and then if it does do it again you would be very disappointed and might blame the mechanic. Anyway might be worth checking your codes for under or over post and if it has variable vane turbo as it might be that.

Hello. I've got a 2007 2.5tdi with the BPC engine. I'm not sure how the mechanic could diagnose the turbo being faulty via a computer, it's an entirely mechanical device. The diagnostic machines only test sensors and electrical components. The variable vane on the turbo is controlled by vacuum from the 'moo' sensor. Various other pressure sensors sort everything else out.

Back