Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The "things going wrong" thread

KernowLad

Gone, but not forgotten!
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Much as we love our vans to pieces, stuff isn't always 100% perfect.

I've had a couple of slight hiccups to date:

1) Polishing the Cali yesterday, the side indicator popped out!! Went back in fine but still a bit odd.
2) Smelt clutch a few times but been reassured that this is just it bedding in (!). This ISN'T a manual bashing point for DSG owners though... ;)
3) The whole van is very well fitted out. But the glovebox- no light, not lined and rather low rent looking. Same with the stalks. A wee bit cheap feeling - the rest is very well appointed.
4) MPG is a bit shocking so far but been reassured that it improves massively with some miles on it.
5) Stone chip - I've done all the driving but didn't hear anything hit it. The stone chip suggests a pretty large whack. Is the paint thick enough?
6) The rattling table - I've had to stick Blu tak to the bit/stopper that sticks out (attached to the van) to silence it! Just bought some furniture leg sticky things but there's no sign of anything fitted by VW to stop the noise. There's a pad on the table leg but it's completely in the wrong place for our specific rattling noise!

Okay, enough moaning - the rest of it is FAB! :D :D

Having had my Cali for almost three years:-

I've had a few stone chips to the bonnet paintwork and the plastic bumper. Being silver paintwork, I put it down to the metallic paint, having had other silver cars, inc VWs, which seem to suffer paint chips all too easily. It is sickening :cry: , I remember our first trip touring Europe for 5 weeks only to get a stone hitting the bonnet, chipping the paintwork, 5 miles from home. You can buy a bonnet bra, but do you really want to drive around with one fitted all the time :lol: .

Strangely also had two windscreen chips (both repaired easily and now invisible) one of which was done in a 20 zone and both myself and what I believe was the offending vehicle were travelling at the speed limit :eek:

I think the clutch smell is just "bedding in" also had this on new cars especially first time reverse used for any distance.

Mileage definitely does improve once the engine has been "run in". Owning a motorbike I still believe in "running in" engines. You could say I'm mechanically sympathetic, can't bear to hear engines being over-revved. In the end it's all down to your right foot ;)

You have to remember that whilst the California may cost as much as a luxury car, it is a camperVAN and is based on a workhorse, not designed from the outset for luxury.

Hubert

Ref the pop up table, mine rattled a bit at first until I realised that there is a catch that you have to lift up and slide the table as far towards the rear of the vehicle as possible. It will then fit pretty snug and should not rattle, if it still does then I'd visit the dealer. I've alo noticed that if you have stored something in the gap between the rear seat and side cupboards it can stop the table going back too far or even from going past the locking mechanism.

In terms of slightly shoddy items, I'd add the roller blinds to this list, great invention but they seem to catch and scrunch up unless you are really careful particularly the big one over the sliding door. Another is the cup holders, real cheap feeling and they seem to have quite an agressive snap shut when you take a drink out and it is quite difficult to get a drink back in there one handed when driving.

Still love the Cali though despite a few niggles!

Ian - I'm definitely pushing it fully back (the table) and it sort of clicks into place. There a plastic stopper near the bottom of the table (attached the the cupboard) that rests against the bottom of it - that seems to be the culprit. Took ages to work out where the rattling comes from. I expect a bit of creaking but this was a proper "drive you nuts" rattle! Even our little boy was worried about it.

Agree about the cupholders - they seem to like to ping cups of coffee across the cabin! Just a few reminders that the fairly luxurious vehicles we drive are based on basic work vans I guess?! :lol:

Our Defender was the XS model - sort of poshed up a bit with aircon, ABS brakes, heated seats (and a very handy heated windscreen), half leather, etc but it was a LOT more obvious how basic the vehicle it was made from was - 1970s British Leyland stalks and mirrors anyone?! Almost no rustproofing? No airbags? :crazy :lol: :lol:

True, cab exactly the same as the local plumbers van!

I'd get your dealer to look at the table then, definitley not right, mine is silent unless I haven't clipped it in properly.

We got our 2010 model 17 months ago and have approx. 5k miles on the clock. The issues we’ve had so far:

• Knocking on the steering wheel – resulted in new steering column fitted
• Dashboard heating / aircon control replaced – sometimes no heat / sometimes stuck on full heat
• Rear high-level brake light detached on one side
• Plastic flashing under driver’s seat detached on one side

Fortunately the warranty has covered everything so far. Still a fabulous van though!

Agreed re the blinds Ian - but - I complained to the garage (Preston Van Centre) about the same blind and they took it apart and refitted - its much better now!

Ian

Another niggle - the slide out one legged table- is an accident waiting to happen in my view. That is, it's only going to take someone pushing it along when the leg is extended in position for it to be loosened from its rivets in the table top. We try to guard against this by when practicable, having the table slid out to its maximum position so that at least it can only be pushed in one direction. If only VW had provided some kind of catch to lock the table in position!

Moan over!

Ian, I too have a knocking on the steering but only at parking speeds. Have it booked in next week for service and for this to be looked at so hopefully the dealer will sort it out. Wonder if this is a common problem??

anybody noticed the black gromets missing on the poptop arms they seem to stick to the bottom arm then fall in the gutter rather than stay in the holes on the upper arms,same on all my old vans too, also noticed rubber bungs rollin around in the boot the other week they are the seat stops ,if you dont pull the seat forward before pulling it up it knocks the bungs out... everytime the mrs does it they are there on the boot floor,just little niggles but can get annoying keep putting them back in apart from that its great i do agree about the cup holders there not the best are they

CalifornIAN said:
Ian, I too have a knocking on the steering but only at parking speeds. Have it booked in next week for service and for this to be looked at so hopefully the dealer will sort it out. Wonder if this is a common problem??

I think it is pretty common. A mate has a 140 Transporter (61 plate too) and had his replaced twice.

I've had my Cali for just over 2 years. So far I've had it back to have the blind above the sink replaced as it kept rising up about 2 inches; the blind over the sliding door replaced as it wasn't closing properly; a few annoying rattles/squeaks; the 'moo cow' valve replaced (something to do with the turbo apparently) and the most significant job was to have the rubber seal around the base of the roof replaced as it had actually corroded. The seal was quite a straightforward job in the end but worth keeping an eye on when you are washing the roof. My worry now is that the warranty expires on the 20th February. Can't decide if I should go for the extended warranty, an aftermarket warranty or none :?:

Despite these issues, I still love the van and am looking forward to another year of camping trips in it. :thumb

Martin

KernowLad said:
CalifornIAN said:

I think it is pretty common. A mate has a 140 Transporter (61 plate too) and had his replaced twice.

Snap! Mine is doing this also, going in next week to be looked at.

Also window blinds not recoiling properly. And one of the seat belts on the rear bench is a bit loose so I can't get the child seat in tightly enough.

Anyone know the price of the VW extended warranty?

I think from the FB thread that the extended warranty is about £1600 a year !!!, at that premium it makes sense to ' self insure ' and take the risk.

There was a guy on FB who owned a T4 Westie for years and now has a Cali. He was adamant that the Cali is not robust enough on the internal fittings bearing in mind that you would expect the vans to have a very long life prior to ending up as scrape. Having covered 40000+ miles in mine since March 2010 I have to say he has a point. On the other hand think of the amount of old VW campers you see about, some of them in very worn out condition, perhaps we have to accept that the Cali's in years to come will end up like that. The main worry is the cost of replacing expensive parts such as heater, fridge etc.

The stearing clunck at low speeds is a known issue. My dealer knew exactly what it was when I mentioned it and I've had a new stearing column as a result. I asked about it and was told the by the engineer that the part number had changed indicating a revision. All fine now.

I've a 61 plate 2012 version btw

Re: The

BerndRos said:
I think from the FB thread that the extended warranty is about £1600 a year !!!, at that premium it makes sense to ' self insure ' and take the risk.

There was a guy on FB who owned a T4 Westie for years and now has a Cali. He was adamant that the Cali is not robust enough on the internal fittings bearing in mind that you would expect the vans to have a very long life prior to ending up as scrape. Having covered 40000+ miles in mine since March 2010 I have to say he has a point. On the other hand think of the amount of old VW campers you see about, some of them in very worn out condition, perhaps we have to accept that the Cali's in years to come will end up like that. The main worry is the cost of replacing expensive parts such as heater, fridge etc.

I guess similar could be said of any conversion though - certainly not seen any as robust looking as the Cali. Its all fairly "no nonsense" with stuff like hard flooring rather than carpet, blinds instead of curtains, etc. You have to remember that stuff has moved on too - no remote heaters, efficient fridges, etc in the old days!

Compared to a previous
photo.jpg

...which was a tough as
old-boots-andrew-lever.jpg

Our Cali is pure luxury & infinitely more superior & usable than a:-
13562951_1.jpg

The flexible light did break at the mounting & has been replaced under warranty.

My word that motorhome was/is HUGE!! :eek:

Have a 07 174bhp manual and have had the burning clutch problem since new - even after a long run on the motorway slow down to drive in town and the gear box gets sticky (clutch plates??) there is a grating noise followed by burning smell - this also happens on a cold engine after a short run.. Other problems to watch for leaky windows - sliding windows leaked from new have had then replaced and still leak resealed and still leak - this causes problems with sliding door water leaks into this causing rust inside the door and on the clip holding the extra table... Watch your sliding door handle these become loose and can develop a rust bubble under the handle... Other than that the vehicle is the best multi purpose vehicle available the engine is superb (174bhp) and is made for long distance touring 38-40 mpg but around town 25-30 if you drive carefully... Happy camping!!

Hi, has anyone had any issues after using the diesel heater? We have large clouds of diesel fumes that appear and when driving off they enter the inside cab especially when stationary- this happened for a good 20 miles of driving. It was so overpowering we had to open all the windows and turn the fan on full blast! We have an 11 plate Cali and also have problems with the knocking steering column (have noticed that this seems to be a common problem)
Will take it back to be looked at under the warranty but just wondered if anyone else had the diesel fume issue?
Many thanks!

I once had a billow of smoke come out of the side about 10 mins after stopping and turning off the heater and engine. Not seen it since.

KernowLad said:
I once had a billow of smoke come out of the side about 10 mins after stopping and turning off the heater and engine. Not seen it since.

The UAZ Camper Van is the solution
509655438_356a438d9a.jpg

4WD & no worries when in the supermarket car park.
3614049254.jpg

Perhaps there should be a 'Mary Poppins' award for the worst bit of kit: - SuperCaliFragilePlastic ..... (somone more clever than me can finish this off)

TheFinishIsAtrocious....

MichaelB said:
The stearing clunck at low speeds is a known issue. My dealer knew exactly what it was when I mentioned it and I've had a new stearing column as a result. I asked about it and was told the by the engineer that the part number had changed indicating a revision. All fine now.

I've a 61 plate 2012 version btw

I've got a 140 transporter for my work, same age as yours Michael. I also have the steering "clonk" as I call it. Also had it on my previous transporter 5 years ago! Thought VW might have sorted it by now.
Back then it was CV joints if my memory serves me right, is this a new type of clonk then?

Back