Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 or T6.1 - Am I being thick??

Norfolk Jim

Norfolk Jim

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi All.

I might be having a senior moment but can you explain the difference betwen a T6 and a T6.1 please.

Am I right in thinking the T6.1 came in around end of 2019 and is actually the current model? For some reason I had in my head there was something between 2019 and 2021......... I know there were issues with the bellows from about 2021 but is that all?

Sorry if it's covered elsewhere as I'm weighing up whether to go for a late T6 or and early (70, 20 or 21 plate) T6.1......

Hi Jim,

Not a silly question at all.

The T6.1 did indeed appear around the end of 2019 and it replaced the T6. The T6.1 came with an exterior facelift and a modernised interior change. There was no model change (other than this) between 2019 and 2021.

Hope this helps!

Many thanks.

That's what I'd hoped for. I was alittle confused but it all makes sense now. My local VW dealer has 3 Oceans for sale. 2 in Ascot Grey (70 & 21 Reg) 150ps and a dark grey 21 Reg with 201ps all betwen 61 - 65k so in area I want to be

Hi All.

I might be having a senior moment but can you explain the difference betwen a T6 and a T6.1 please.

Am I right in thinking the T6.1 came in around end of 2019 and is actually the current model? For some reason I had in my head there was something between 2019 and 2021......... I know there were issues with the bellows from about 2021 but is that all?

Sorry if it's covered elsewhere as I'm weighing up whether to go for a late T6 or and early (70, 20 or 21 plate) T6.1......
This wikipedia-entry might shine some ligth on your question.

Not necessarily 100% accurate as I've only ever had a T6.1 and not exhaustive.

T6.1T6
Control panelColour LCDB/W LCD. Knob breaks.
Waterpump run dry protectionYN
Selectable charge levelYN but easy workaround
Comfort DashNY
Power managementBattery monitor on all three batteriesSingle shunt for both leisure batteries. Can fail and does not tell you if the cube fuse fails.
Dog with a bone lookYN
Roof corrosionPossiblyDefinitely
Overly complicated heaterYN
Dimmable lightsY Std on later oceansN Y credit FB
Split top for sink and HobYN (Y later models, credit FB)
Top bedFroli springsSlats
BellowsLate 2022+ potentially leaky
2019 - fold well
Easily pinched in the scissor mechanism
HeadlightsLater oceans std w LEDSSome have halogens and complementary white cane for driver.
ACCStd on later (all?) oceans?
Reverse cameraStd on later (all?) oceans?
Edit: power steering credit: @RedWhiteMonkeyElectric -- allows crosswind assist and some other features.Hydraulic
Lower cupboard lights [Corradobrit]Y
RHD footrest for DSG model [Corradobrit]NY
Tambour door on wardrobe [Corradobrit]NY
Lower bed recline [Corradobrit]YN
Lower bed lengthSlightly shorter than T6

Last edited:
I think this is the right way round, T6s have hydraulic power steering and T6.1s have electro-hydraulic power steering.

Having driven both I prefer the steering feel of the T6.1.

T6.1T6
Comfort DashNY
Power managementBattery monitor on all three batteriesSingle shunt for both leisure batteries. Can fail and does not tell you if the cube fuse fails.
Dog with a bone lookYN
Dimmable lightsYN
Split top for sink and HobYN
2019 - fold well
HeadlightsLater oceans std w LEDSSome have halogens and complementary white cane for driver.
I think the T6.1 top is now aluminium.

Some other changes have also taken place, albeit not necessarily linked to the 6.1, but worth being aware of such as the removal of sport mode, engine powers (204s, to 199s, back to 204s etc).

Also worth keeping in mind that a chunk of T6s succumbed to luxury vehicle tax too (UK specific ofcourse).

Unfortunately a bit of a minefield.

Looking at the list, I think there were changes to later T6's - my 2018 had A/C, reverse camera, colour control panel, dimable lights, LED headlights with DRL and split top for sink and hob.

T6.1T6
Comfort DashNY
Dog with a bone lookYN
Dimmable lightsY Std on later oceansN
Split top for sink and HobYN
2019 - fold well
Edit: power steering credit: @RedWhiteMonkeyElectric -- allows crosswind assist and some other features.Hydraulic
spot the 6.1 owner in that list who doesn't quite know what their talking about. dimmable lights on T6 by holding the switch(and they are so much simpler to turn on/off without faffing in touch screen menus ,split sink top on late T6 (which you're after). leaky bellows 'potentially' is an understatement unless sprayed with nikwax, alluminium roof on 6.1,they have always all been alluminium. control knob breaks on panel,maybe if you catch it yes,mine never has,even so an easy fix,unlike trying to fix a 6.1 touch screen that keeps freezing up. probably some other errors there too ,ignore that very biased list and get whats right for your budget. i'd be looking at price and mileage with good service history on both models.
good luck
ignore that list

Last edited:
T6 drives/feels more van like which I like, the dash has better usable storage on both premium/standard and not forgetting it’s still got CD. Not all T6 have CarPlay.
The t6.1 lots more gadgets and a car like feel when driving. Dash has has silly open storage in front of steering wheel (reflex’s onto windscreen so no point using) and has some super tiny storage slots/glovebox.
I’ve gone from t6 to t6.1 back to t6 and now back again to t6.1
Both great vans best to drive both and if your into your tech then t6.1

spot the 6.1 owner in that list who doesn't quite know what their talking about. dimmable lights on T6 by holding the switch(and they are so much simpler to turn on/off without faffing in touch screen menus ,split sink top on late T6 (which you're after). leaky bellows 'potentially' is an understatement unless sprayed with nikwax, alluminium roof on 6.1,they have always all been alluminium. control knob breaks on panel,maybe if you catch it yes,mine never has,even so an easy fix,unlike trying to fix a 6.1 touch screen that keeps freezing up. probably some other errors there too ,ignore that very biased list and get whats right for your budget. i'd be looking at price and mileage with good service history on both models.
good luck
ignore that list
As a MY22 6.1 owner:
You can dim/turn the lights off with the individual switches - no need for touch screen.
The bellows don’t leak, and have the superb panorama panel
My touch screen has never frozen.

As a MY22 6.1 owner:
You can dim/turn the lights off with the individual switches - no need for touch screen.
The bellows don’t leak, and have the superb panorama panel
My touch screen has never frozen.
wasn't having a go at 6.1s or trying to start a 6.1 v 6 argument.yes i believe the 6.1 single skin bellows are fine .but to say in his list they don't leak when there's a 140 plus page thread running about it i believe to be an understatement at best. imagine if he had said, should i get the ocean or the beach ?

RHD T6.1 lost the left foot rest on drivers side.

T6.1 has lights in the lower cupboards and T6 had tambour doors

T6.1 has a lower bed with a reclining feature.

says 'potentially' which ithinks an understatement for many late 6.1 owners
There are certainly T6.1 double skin bellows owners who don't have leaks. @andyinluton for example. The list more intended as a checklist of things a potential buyer might want to investigate further. A caveat emptor if you will.

Back