Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6.1 Ocean kitchen tap not working “Error: fresh water pump. Please visit workshop”. Any obvious tips before I return it to the dealer? Thanks

WaikatoCalifornia

WaikatoCalifornia

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hi all, our T6.1 Ocean kitchen tap is suddenly not working. Our Cali is around 9mths old and we have had no issues to date. However, today, as we go to set off, I refilled the water tank and then got this message - “Error: fresh water pump. Please visit workshop”. When I turn the tap on, instead of hearing the pump whirring up like it usually does, all I get is a high pitch whining noise a bit like what used to happen in the old days when a camera flash was recharging ready to go, followed by the error message. It seems to me the pump isn’t spinning at all, hence no normal pump noise (and obviously no pressure). I can return to the dealer as it is under warranty, and I am booked in next week, but we want it ASAP, and taking back to the dealer doesn’t just mean a wait, it is also a logistical pain in the neck. I have done the obvious things like check the electric connectors, as per other threads, but was wondering whether anyone else with troubleshooting experience had any ideas? Thank you.

IMG_1579.jpeg

We had exactly the same when our my23 was 9 months old. In the end they changed the pump but still struggled to get it working. After that they tried the old unplug (the battery) and reboot the system and eventually they got it working. in the end they said the original pump was faulty but the control system didn’t see the fault was gone until the reboot. Hope that helps?

It's not obvious but once the fault is corrected you probably need to press the "ok" part of the message. I suspect this may have tripped up @CampervanFlattie 's dealer.

The pump does not appear to be directly fused. The error message is certainly caused by j608 sensing a short circuit or open circuit where the pump should be.

If the fault was transient pressing ok might clear it. Otherwise a new pump is likely the fix.

It took us nearly 3 months to get sorted as we had to book it in for them to agree the pump was faulty and again once they had the part in from VW. Seems to be working ok now but we have only used the van a couple of times since it was repaired.

Never thought about pressing the ok!

Not sure what parts are like in NZ but for 30 quid over here I’d be tempted to buy a pump and replace myself.

Back