Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sundowner.

S

Sundowner

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Finally decided to join the club. We have had our Cali for some 6 years now. Bought it new and we were both truly ecstatic with out purchase. As others have mentioned we have been plagued with the roof corrosion issue. We have been waiting for over 3 years to have it rectified, and finally have had the call:cheers. This is on the top of a £500 bill to have the rear springs replaced along with the front strut top mounting.

I cannot complain too much about the suspension issue as these are the first problems we have had. We do still love our Cali and are thinking about a T6. However the roof corrosion issue is still a worry.

We went to see the Mercedes Marco Polo recently and although it is very nice, there are some issues we would find hard to live with.

Our Cali is finished in Reflex Silver on a 61 plate. Sometimes towing an Airstream. Just a little one!! Had a conversation a couple of weeks ago with a white van man on the M5 while stuck in a queue with the Airstream on the back. We think he was highly impressed with both.

Give us a wave if you see us.

Hello and Welcome.

Welcome on board !

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
Love to see some photos of your California + Airstream.

:welcome

Do you think that the front struts and rear springs are related to towing the airtream ?

:welcome

Do you think that the front struts and rear springs are related to towing the airtream ?

Not according to VW & Caravan club. The van has heavy duty springs and the towing limit is related to the kerb weight of the vehicle. I tow at approx 62% of the kerb weight. The airstream weighs in at MTPWL of 1.7 Tons which we generally don't get anywhere near. I believe in travelling light, shorts and tee shirts all day:).

It is only one spring at the rear which is apparently broken and the top strut mount which is possibly broken, which is yet to be confirmed. It is more likely to be due to the state of our lovely highways which nobody appears to care about. ( Also had two springs go on the other halfs Yeti ). I was told a little while ago that the way some springs are finished at the top can also contribute to failure. i.e not finished flush.

One thing I have noticed recently is that more T5's in their various incarnations are being used to tow much heavier vans than mine. I would be concerned about towing the twin axle Airstreams with a Cali.

Thanks to all for the replies and likes. Nice to know we made a good decision which has taken 10 years to achieve.

:thanks