Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stinging eyes

Daisymaisy

Daisymaisy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Over the last few days when we get in the van all our eyes/nose start to sting. We cannot smell anything. It’s worse when we first get in the van and after a few minutes driving gets better. We have the MOT on Wednesday so will get it looked at the same time but has anyone had this problem? Thinking possibly could be something like coolant leaking in

Could be exhaust gas. Cracked egr pipe. Manifold leak etc. It won't be a coolant leak causing that. Coolant leaking into the cabin can only come from the heater matrix and you would notice it on the header tank level . Do the windows mist up easily?

No the windows don’t mist up and it happens as soon as we get in the car even before the engine is turned on!

Well that is odd. I'm now thinking you may have a battery gassing into the van. They have vent hoses to vent the gases when charging. Do you leave it on hook up? I would check the batteries now you say that. Check there is no swelling or strange powder around the battery as these are signs of leaking. There are 2 batteries inside the cabin. One under the Lh seat and one in the wardrobe.

Thanks yes it’s very odd, it does feel acid like if that makes sense! No way can we use the van in anyway at the moment! Will have a look at the batteries. I can’t see that anyone else has had this sort of problem especially when the engine is off.

I have been reading and possibly Freon gas leak from the A/c or fridge. Freon gas poisoning would cause these symptoms. It’s odourless as well! Will buy a Freon gas detector tomorrow. Very worrying would could of been sleeping in it

I have been reading and possibly Freon gas leak from the A/c or fridge. Freon gas poisoning would cause these symptoms. It’s odourless as well! Will buy a Freon gas detector tomorrow. Very worrying would could of been sleeping in it
Your fridge and vehicle aircon are unlikely to contain Freon (r22), more likely R134a. Make sure your detector works for the refrigerant you have.

Update just incase anyone should have this happen!!

We emptied out the whole van and in the cupboard at the back in the boot had a bottle of camper blue toilet fluid that had leaked and then with the heatwave caused it to evaporate (we normally go green but got last year as none others available at the camping shop). Had a look at the ingredients and it contains formaldehyde that causes stinging eyes, coughing, wheezing, nausea. We bought from our local camping shop for the porta potty and did not realise it contained such dangerous chemicals. We won’t be using that stuff again but it seems pretty standard.

I’m no gasist but is Freon not inert and would therefore sink out via the vent under the fridge?
Where’s WG when you need him?

We emptied out the whole van and in the cupboard at the back in the boot had a bottle of camper blue toilet fluid that had leaked and then with the heatwave caused it to evaporate (we normally go green but got last year as none others available at the camping shop). Had a look at the ingredients and it contains formaldehyde that causes stinging eyes, coughing, wheezing, nausea. We bought from our local camping shop for the porta potty and did not realise it contained such dangerous chemicals. We won’t be using that stuff again but it seems pretty standard.
It seems very much like you found your answer..

Good find. Formaldehyde is one of the more toxic "home" chemicals. If the aldehyde has been out in the air a while some will have oxidised into formic acid, just as nasty but now more corrosive - similar to acetic acid. Watch out for long term corrosion of sensitive electronics over the next 6-18 months. As hydrated vapour (stinging eyes) it will have found it way into all the crevices. It won't do the steel bodywork any favours either.

I’m no gasist but is Freon not inert and would therefore sink out via the vent under the fridge?
Where’s WG when you need him?
Formaldehyde is a very different beast from Freon. Freon is inert, except in the upper atmosphere, while formaldehyde is not.

Back