Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar Camper Solutions Solar Panels

Little owl1963

Little owl1963

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Thinking of buying 2 x 100w Panels for my California ocean T6.1 , do i need a regulator to prevent my 2 x 75 amp hour battery's from overcharging ?.

Seen a calculation that says the rating of battery divided by 10 ? , if power of panel is lower , don't
need a regulator ?

So do i add the 2 battery's together which would be 150 divided by 10 = 15 ?
Then would it be 2 x 100 watt panels = 200
So 15 would be lower than 200 , have i done the calculation correctly ?.

Think i would be better to get the MPPT plus option , then it would charge both the leisure battery's , an also the engine battery ?
Not to fussed about having it on my phone , as can see figures on the screen .
Or is it better to get the standard MPPT controller with 20 % extra charge ?
Or is there any advantage of the Victron controller ?

Any advise welcomed ?

I presume would also be wise to but some anti tamper bolts , to fit the panels to roof .

Lastly seems more easier to fit the flexi coil through rear tailgate grommet ? its the easy way .
But long term would it be a better option to drill small hole through the roof , would it look better an be a more professional job ?
Or would it be over the top ? CT1 is really a first class long term sealant that could be used around the grommet , sure there would be no issues with leaking at all ?

If drilling hole through roof , were would best place to drill be ? , as i have pop up roof ?
Any photos appreciated , and advise on this thanks .

Welsh Gas your expert advise is needed !
I bought my kit from Roger at Solarcampersolutions. It included a MPPT controller with a remote LCD screen, which I rarely look at as the system just works.
The controller is in the top of the rear wardrobe which has direct access to the tailgate wiring gaiter.
Drilling through the roof is a much more convoluted entry. Aluminium roof panel - roof lining and then access down into the wardrobe or habitation area.

On the subject of solar, anyone know what the correct “mode” is for the Victron 75/15?

IMG_0237.png

I have a Victron controller which are great.

Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 100V 20 amp 12/24/48-Volt Solar Charge Controller (Bluetooth)​

BatteryLife tries to ensure that the battery will always be recharged to 100% SoC - every day. This is how it works: During periods of poor weather when solar energy is reduced, BatteryLife will dynamically raise the Low SoC limit which has been set. This has the effect of making less power available for consumption.

We had a panel fitted by Roger a couple of weeks ago very pleased with his workmanship we preferred the method of bolting the panel to the roof and the flex going through the grommet very much against drilling through the roof
Hi. Just checking if you get any wind noise or vibration from the panel?

Thinking of buying 2 x 100w Panels for my California ocean T6.1 , do i need a regulator to prevent my 2 x 75 amp hour battery's from overcharging ?.

Seen a calculation that says the rating of battery divided by 10 ? , if power of panel is lower , don't
need a regulator ?

So do i add the 2 battery's together which would be 150 divided by 10 = 15 ?
Then would it be 2 x 100 watt panels = 200
So 15 would be lower than 200 , have i done the calculation correctly ?.

Think i would be better to get the MPPT plus option , then it would charge both the leisure battery's , an also the engine battery ?
Not to fussed about having it on my phone , as can see figures on the screen .
Or is it better to get the standard MPPT controller with 20 % extra charge ?
Or is there any advantage of the Victron controller ?

Any advise welcomed ?

I presume would also be wise to but some anti tamper bolts , to fit the panels to roof .

Lastly seems more easier to fit the flexi coil through rear tailgate grommet ? its the easy way .
But long term would it be a better option to drill small hole through the roof , would it look better an be a more professional job ?
Or would it be over the top ? CT1 is really a first class long term sealant that could be used around the grommet , sure there would be no issues with leaking at all ?

If drilling hole through roof , were would best place to drill be ? , as i have pop up roof ?
Any photos appreciated , and advise on this thanks .
I bought from Roger and paid for him to install! Used the curly coil cable to come in via the tailgate grommet - never had any problems since fitting ….

Does the curly coil cable mark the paintwork when driving along?

I bought my kit from Roger at Solarcampersolutions. It included a MPPT controller with a remote LCD screen, which I rarely look at as the system just works.
The controller is in the top of the rear wardrobe which has direct access to the tailgate wiring gaiter.
Drilling through the roof is a much more convoluted entry. Aluminium roof panel - roof lining and then access down into the wardrobe or habitation area.
If I bought one panel would I be able to boil a low Wattage kettle via the onboard T6 inverter for a regular brew?

If I bought one panel would I be able to boil a low Wattage kettle via the onboard T6 inverter for a regular brew?
Would the kettle wattage exceed the power output of that socket?

A solar panel recharges the Leisure Batteries. The Leisure Batteries power the built in Mains Inverter which has an output of 150 watts or 300 watts on the T6.1.
This is a very inefficient method of boiling a kettle and very likely to damage the Leisure Batteries long term.

Hi. Just checking if you get any wind noise or vibration from the panel?

None whatsoever.

(Cali has the aerodynamic properties of a brick, so panels don’t make the wind / engine noise any worse.)

I bought from Roger and paid for him to install! Used the curly coil cable to come in via the tailgate grommet - never had any problems since fitting ….
What was his installation cost if you don't mind me asking, and was it done in a neat and tidy manner?

What was his installation cost if you don't mind me asking, and was it done in a neat and tidy manner?

In our case: the installation cost was negligible and the work was done fast and well. We were on holiday in the UK, contacted Roger and made an appointment before driving to the UK. We met him at the agreed time and within 30 minutes everything was installed, working and we were given instructions on how everything worked. The panel has been on the van since last summer and we're happy customers.

If the situation had been different, I would have liked the project to do the install myself, but to be honest, for the cost Roger charged for installing, I wouldn't have done it myself even though I would enjoy the project.

It was done to perfection, Roger knows that installation like the back of his hand - knows where to route the cable and where to clip-cleat etc. Time wise, less than 50mins, costs are on his site, or ping him? Was very reasonable cost from what I recall.

Back