Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

So this happened today......

Bravo!!

If the roof doesn't fully close at the back, you can just pull down the rubber sealing a bit. I did the same on the right rear corner, where the rubber didn't touch the roof of the van because of the awning bracket. Just put a small light under the roof, then close it. If you see light shining through, just pull the rubber a bit down until you don't see any light anymore.
Great tip. Thank you. I'll give it a go tonight

That’s an amazing job you have done! Looks like you have the curve of the roof spot on. Let’s hope it’s watertight so you can avoid a new roof and the accompanying new leaking bellows!
I hope so as I've heard a lot of negativity about the newer bellows.

That's what I'll be looking out for. A new roof alone will be in the region of £2.5k
I thought in Belgium it was about 5000 for the roof alone. Without spraying and mounting.
If it starts flaking, go to a good bodyshop, and let's put on a spot repair.

sorry about your T5 lets hope you don't need a new roof, but going off topic I have a T6 and thinking about getting bumpers for the side of the van to stop car doors dinks, don't know why they they stopped putting them on, do yours make any difference if a door hit the side of you van? Thanks

I thought in Belgium it was about 5000 for the roof alone. Without spraying and mounting.
If it starts flaking, go to a good bodyshop, and let's put on a spot repair.

Needs a dedicated oven / spray booth for Alu, if if goes back to bare metal. Any steel particles in the atmosphere can mess up the paint job…and cause corrosion.

sorry about your T5 lets hope you don't need a new roof, but going off topic I have a T6 and thinking about getting bumpers for the side of the van to stop car doors dinks, don't know why they they stopped putting them on, do yours make any difference if a door hit the side of you van? Thanks
On mine it does. My plastic side strips have caught a lot of other's-doors-marks. Put on a little paint, and it's good to go again.

I'm guessing the long term challenge will be the paint starting to flake and the bare metal may start to corrode.

Bare aluminium will just weather & go a dull grey rather than corrode, but will bubble when it in contact with another metal or chlorides.
The important thing to check is the rubber real to see if you have split it & exposed the steel reinforcement in it, that in contact with aluminium is what will cause the problem.

Thanks all. In this instance it was the only time I've not put the bikes on myself.
You poor darling, but huge congrats on the reshaping you have managed to do.

Once upon a time, pre-VW, I had a caravan. Hated towing, constantly aware of all the things which could go wrong so I checked, and checked and checked everything again before setting off.

Except for the one time I did not check when the Spousal Unit had 'helped'. And halfway down a busy A road with no place to pull over the jockey wheel fell down because he'd not tightened it up properly. I was alone (he'd had to go off in a different direction for work). It was a stressful nightmare. And once I eventually limped home it was the last time I ever towed that damn white box.

If it is important check it yourself.

Thanks all. In this instance it was the only time I've not put the bikes on myself.

We had 2 hours to do an emergency campsite flood evacuation in the Lake District so I'd dealt with the awning, kayak, child, equipment etc whilst the husband put the bikes on.

We got it to the second site fine and I opened the roof without problem. Not sure how it opened without problem?

When packing away from out second site however, I checked the roof twice as I lowered it, as I always do from the front end of the vehicle. I'd totally forgot the bikes hadn't been put on as I would usually.

The roof made all the usual sounds on the final close and I didn't suspect anything until I stepped out to check. My heart broke.

I managed to re open it and remove the bikes. Surprisingly, it closed just fine, enabling me to drive home just fine

I'm a gold/silversmith which is a helpful skill and this is how it looks now after a bit of malleting!

Not sure yet if it will be water tight but a lesson has been learned.....

... I'll put the bikes on myself next time! ‍♀️View attachment 121982
Wow!! Brave. Hope it work ok and that no rain gets in. Good luck.

were you atC and C derwent water when you got the evac order ? that is common there. i never stay there anymore,too expensive and often floods when evacuate order given (usually not needed in my opinion) you have to go home or find somewhere else,not ideal if you've been down the dog n gun all afternoon because of the rain. better up hill at castlerigg hall or farm.
good work on the fix though,like it

Back