Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slidepod for the VW California Beach

Ahh that sink had no lid either. How easy is it to slide it forward on the rails? If the back is against the seat with the bottles then hidden but accessible by loosening the bolts and sliding?
I already have a cunning plan for the water and waste tanks.

If you've ever read the Drive Nacho Drive van that has some cool features :)

Last edited:
Here is this sink I use
http://xtc.aulich24.de/product_info.php?info=p206_Wasserversorgung-kpl---Set-1.html

To be honest, it's a bit too small to wash dishes. Depends on the amount of wild camping you plan to do, but for us, family of 5 it is too small.

My opinion
- I'm not convinced about that alcohol stove. Gas cartridges are readily available the cheap burners can be used outside as well, they are proven and tested and considered safe enough. When cooking you need ventilation either way.
- pod should not be too big but should also not be too small either. It should be able to hold all kitchen equipment (pots, pans, spices, cutlery, towels, ..)
- I still would love a fridge inside or close to it.

Must say I really like this pod (from the french forum)
t5_cuis0.jpg

t5_cuis1.jpg

t5_cuis2.jpg

t5_cuis3.jpg

t5_frigo.jpg

I does have the embedded fridge. It's a bit higher and if the cooking unit was embedded there would be more storage space possible. Right now it's just behind the fridge through a door that's not all that convenient to open when you have the table up.
I agree that it's probably a bit too heavy to take out frequently - a big drawback. The beach flexibility is an important thing to preserve. On the other hand, remove the fridge, add drawers there, and we can store the fridge on the left of it (under the table when eating), and move it on top of the pod when sleeping and the bed is made. It's better than having to turn the pod each time you make up the bed as with the Maxxcamp Compact.
variomodul-compact-gedreht-bei-umgeklappter-sitzbank-maxxcamp-db5de0af436cc4fg87571ff34776395b.jpg

variomodul-compact-in-multivan-laengs-eingebaut-maxxcamp-f907b09dffb992bg67c60fb6de5971db.jpg

I'm sorry to say that for me the fridge is definately a step to far as it will firstly increase the size of the pod considerably to then get any storage at all secondly it will dramatically increase the price due to a descent compressor fridge costing in excess of £400 and thirdly the weight issue when you start to add the components up....
Sink around 3k
1x full 10L tank 10 kg
Pod cabinate around 10 / 15 kg
Weaco cr40 18 kg
Stove 1/2kg
That's a total of 42 / 48kg before you consider any food or crockery and pots. It becomes to cumbersome to move making the passenger swivel almost permenant redundant.

I totally take on board what you are saying about the stove though.....
Perhaps it would be better if I just constructed a draw which "just happened" to fit both kinds of stoves very neatly ;) that would mean I can keep the cost down and people get the choice of stove they want to use.

As already stated gas stove much cheaper. Cool box or fridge needs to separate to keep room in pod. Whether you move the pod for the bed or not it needs to be compact. If you are struggling with a small sink with a lid you could make a board that just fits on top as per maxxcamp then it can be used as a cutting board.

I have considered that!
2 options I was thinking of were....
sink with toughened black glass flap
pro's - easy to clean, attached, very safe to put stove on
con's - struggling to source a good small one!

sink with custom cut engineered bamboo chopping board
pro's - more sink choices, brilliant chopping board, looks quality
con's - more expence (due to custom works), can be lost, can come loose!

most Beach I see in Germany have a pod, I think what slide pod is doing in the UK will be very popular. Most Pod suppliers have choice of three pods to suit most people. Small and compact for me so easy to lift in and out.

The KIP mini caravan next to you at the Liverpool show had the ability to lift out(side) just the top part of the kitchen pod. Having just a part of it easily removable is just another idea to throw into the pot!

Hotel California that maxxcamp is one of a pair of pods from maxxcamp there are a bit big. They also do the compact which is much better. A pod you can use outside would be good but not essential. We always have a spare second cooker if you need to cook more at once which you use outside. A sliding door would be very useful for the mornings when the bed is still down. As for cookers/sinks kiravans have a offer on the can fl 1323 which has a lid, just another option.

Hotel California that maxxcamp is one of a pair of pods from maxxcamp there are a bit big. They also do the compact which is much better. A pod you can use outside would be good but not essential. We always have a spare second cooker if you need to cook more at once which you use outside. A sliding door would be very useful for the mornings when the bed is still down. As for cookers/sinks kiravans have a offer on the can fl 1323 which has a lid, just another option.
This pod will use a removable stove rather than an untegrated burner.

I would consider a more permenant pod for the 2 seater beach with an integrated burner but not for thid specific pod.

That French pod is very cool but very big.

I personally agree that my fridge would be separate too to maximise the pods utility.

Agree space for either gas cartridge or alcohol stove would give people the choice. Lots will already have a stove of some sort.
On the sink my experience has been that small ones are a waste of space and of little use. I would prioritise worktop area and have a removable washing up bowl instead, maybe even a collapsible one. Washing up can then be done outside or at the campsite facilities. A pumped fresh water supply is useful though, simple submersible pump feeding a modified shower head is what I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me any sink with water would be great. Just need something to wash a cup, get a drink and wash teeth. I would still use campsite washing facilities unless I was off for the odd night wild camping. More a dream than reality with 3 kids though!

Right..... I think I have finalised the spec of the compact Slidepod that will go inside the 3 seat beach :thumb
It will have......
X1 10l fresh tank (can be filled without moving the pod)
X1 10l waste tank (can be emptied without moving the pod)
ample storage cupboard that will still be accessible when the bed is down
small table flap
integrated, removable cutlery roll
storage compartment / draw that will fit both gas cartridge or alcohol gel stoves.
ability to attach the pod to the floor rails
ability to position the shelves at different heights in the cupboard.
X2 year guarantee

Did I miss anything???

Lastly I need to know what people would be happy to pay for a well made pod like this.... (there would be no point manufacturing it if it will be to expensive for everyone.) Also would you prefer it was only manufactured in say..... gloss white, gloss black and driftwood and was about £50 cheaper or pay the extra to have what ever colour you fancy??

Right..... I think I have finalised the spec of the compact Slidepod that will go inside the 3 seat beach :thumb
It will have......
X1 10l fresh tank (can be filled without moving the pod)
X1 10l waste tank (can be emptied without moving the pod)
ample storage cupboard that will still be accessible when the bed is down
small table flap
integrated, removable cutlery roll
storage compartment / draw that will fit both gas cartridge or alcohol gel stoves.
ability to attach the pod to the floor rails
ability to position the shelves at different heights in the cupboard.
X2 year guarantee

Did I miss anything???

Lastly I need to know what people would be happy to pay for a well made pod like this.... (there would be no point manufacturing it if it will be to expensive for everyone.) Also would you prefer it was only manufactured in say..... gloss white, gloss black and driftwood and was about £50 cheaper or pay the extra to have what ever colour you fancy??
Sounds good.
I like the idea of choosing whatever material I like but it depends on the overall cost. What are you guessing it might be at this stage - I'm not sure what it is worth...

(by the way, really impressed at your willingness to work at a solution for us on this)

Until I make the first one I couldn't possibly give a finalised price...
At a guess I would expect it to be around the £1000 mark + delivery including a x2 year guarantee.

I understand you can't give an accurate figure but that ballpark one helps. Look forward to seeing the prototype. :)

Sounds fantastic, you certainly don't hang around.

Definitely interested here. Excited to see what your final design is. What does drift wood look like out of interest?

I would say arround 1000£.
Regarding colours, I would say matched to the interior of the beach is enough which is the colours you speced.
Will you ship outside UK or is it to heavy for that to make sense?

My Can alcohol gel burner arrived today. Will unbox and have a look later. I seem to have ordered a double though doh.

I would say arround 1000£.
Regarding colours, I would say matched to the interior of the beach is enough which is the colours you speced.
Will you ship outside UK or is it to heavy for that to make sense?
I will ship anywhere in Europe.

Back