Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slidepod for the VW California Beach

Hi Steve39
fair size draw under the seat I use for food and kitchen equipment etc but with the pod you probably have storage in that so you could use the draw for other things. The 3 seat version doesn't have either of these fercilities .... My thoughts alone you will have fun which ever you choose.
My 3 seat beach has 3 small drawers in the bench, one under each of the seats. I use 2 64L really useful boxes in the boot , one full of cooking stuff, the other a canopy and a few other handy bits and bobs. Which still leaves a bit of space for water bottles and a bag for clothes etc..

We are currently developing this idea (the Slidepod compact) and are very close to releasing it. I will be looking for a demo van to have the first one we produce at a discounted rate (if your interested let me know on 07739508050) I have always been extremely uninspired by the conventional "behind the drivers seat pods" as they are all virtually the same as each other and prevent the drivers seat from swivelling. The one we are working on will be totally self contained (bar needing a 12v socket to plug it in to) extremely easy to remove to use in an awning etc and will slide out of the slide door allowing you to swivel the drivers seat and get some of the cooking smells out of the van. obviously it wont have the same size storage cupboard as a full blown slidepod or the same size fresh and grey tanks but will still make a great versatile compact kitchen for your camper van :thumb:thumb
would be up for this. Have you any drawings of how it might look ?

not at the moment but I can tell you it will have integrated gas, 10l fresh, 10l grey and a modest amount of storage.

Steve I will do my very best to help you. I obviously have an opinion on what is best for me and my family but I will do my best to help you make an educated decision as to what is best for you and your family! :thumb
I think I speak for everyone when I say you are welcome to elaborate on this more :)

Hi Kave I think that the 2 seat and 3 seat beaches both have their advantages and disadvantages and therefore its not a case of one vehicle layout is better than the other but one layout will suit an individuals needs better than the other will. This depends massively on your circumstances and requirements of the type of beach you are looking at. Therefore I only offer advice on an individual basis over the phone (I'm happy to take 10 mins out of my day to help someone with a £35,000+ decision ;)).

I would definitely recommend a chat with Jonny at Slidepods. We found him really helpful, he knows the vehicles inside out and has done a great job on our pod and hookup.

Hi Jonny, is the compact pod going to fit in any beach or specific for 2 or 3 seat beach? :)

I was very lucky to see one of Jonny's slidepods and I have to say it was excellent the quality and workmanship was superb, any body wanting to purchase one of these for what ever vehicle would not be disappointed and as said previously, Jonny is very knowledgable about all things California and more and very helpful.

BB

BeachyBird, I fully agree. We picked up our pod from Jonny last weekend on our way down to the West Country and are delighted with it. Build quality is excellent, his experience as a joiner shows through in the craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Here are some pics of the pod in action...image.jpgimage.jpg

Hi Jackie it was lovely to meet you guys the other day and I'm glad you liked the slidepod and could see the lengths we go to to produce a quality product.

It's great to see your making the most of your slidepod Tim and it looks the buisness in your van. I have to ask where is the beach your on? Looks like an amazing spot.

I will endeavour to get some pictures of the 2016 demo pod up on our website and into the forum so everyone can see the developments now available :)

Here are a couple of shots of the new 2016 version slidepod. We have managed to make the internal cupboard 50mm wider and 50mm deeper, we have also developed an optional removable cutlary roll with easy access side storage, new optional led pod lighting, updated super quiet pump, optional tailored high quality anti slip cupboard matting and several t weeks to the design here and there. We are also doing an optional table and I am looking into making the california table fit to the pod. :thumb

20150928_143842.jpg

20150928_144242.jpg

20150928_144032.jpg

20150928_143914.jpg

20150928_143956.jpg

2015-09-23 20.15.28.jpg

20150923_192208.jpg

Dear Father Christmas please may I have...

I take my hat off to you Jonny. These look fantastic. :thumb

Thanks very much they are due to be featured in VWBUS magazine this month and we also did a photo shoot for Martin Dorey last Friday as they will be featured in his latest book "The Campervan Bible" which will be released for summer 2016. We even talked about Martin having one for his next T5 ;)

Hi Tim, Just spotted your post before heading out into the workshop to start making your Slidepod.
I got most of the electrical bits out of the way yesterday so your van now has.....
240v hook-up, Intelligent 10amp 8 stage battery charger (under the drivers seat) and a 2 pole RCD (also under the drivers seat) also custom fitted is a polarity warning light to the RCD unit that will warn you if you plug into any dodgy (wired back to front) mains supplies as this is pretty common on the continent. I have located your hook up plug under the bonnet as in my experience this is the best place for several reasons.....
it keeps the connection nice and dry
You can see your van is connected so are unlikely to drive off whilst connected
It stays nice and clean so you don't get filthy hands every time you hook-up
I don't have to drill a great big hole in the quarter panel of your van and remove half the rear trim to run the cable
and..... no one can run off with your cable
View attachment 9835

On another note whilst installing your charger I spotted your vent pipe on your battery had come off...:eek: This is not good as whilst your battery is charging it will emit hydrogen gas. I obviously reconnected this for you so all is now safe and sound.
I will keep you posted as work progresses on your pod :thumb

Could you explain why reversed polarity is "dodgy" and why we need to be warned of it by an LED. Are we not supposed to use European hook ups? Isn't the California a German vehicle so it will have reversed wiring already? I take it by "front to back" you mean reversed live/neutral?
I assume you warn your customers not to use any Class 1 light fittings from the Uk?
(you know, the ones with the neutral connected to the metal bulb holder, now live from the reverse polarity - off course you do.).

I was under the impression the blue commando plug/sockets are IP44 rated? In other words perfectly waterproof for the external use they're designed for..

The under bonnet area is pretty mmuch the dirtiest place on my van.

"You don't have to drill a great big hole etc...." Do you mean doing the job properly?

I've never had a hook up cable stolen.

Pod.

The reversed polarity light is there to warn you if you plug into a hook up that has the live and neutral wired in reverse (as you rightly pointed out). If you would like to refine your knowledge further as to why this can be hazardous there is plenty of information on the web about it. I would recommend reading this thread in the caravan club website as it gives a great explanation of the potential hazards associated with reversed polarity AC electrics and where we could potentially come into contact with them. I do not charge for adding a reverse polarity light so it cant hurt.

You are quite correct that the blue plugs are IP44 rated. However I will continue to fit them under the bonnet "properly" as I have learnt through experience that it is the best place to fit them. Especially as when we fit hook-ups to £30,000+ California beaches our customers tend to prefer we don't stick a hole saw through the rear quarter panel then proceed to remove a large quantity of their rear internal trim when we can do it better, faster, cheaper and more discretely another way.

I am sorry to hear how dirty it is under your bonnet.

I am glad you have never had a hook up cable stolen long may this continue, I realise that people would be unlucky if their hook up cable was stolen. I also realise it is impossible to steel a hook up cable from any van I have fitted the hook up to.

I am very sorry that I seem to have offended you and have taken the trouble to re read all of my posts in this thread and some others to see how I might have done this and have been un able to work it out???
Perhaps it would be best to clear the air and start over?

There is nothing more infuriating than a tradesman/salesman trying to blind a customer with tech-talk. Not even good tech talk in this case.

There are some pretty naf van conversions out there but never have I seen such a crazy location for a hook up. Why would you want to have to open the bonnet to plug in a cable? Don't even get me started on the the suitablity of those plugs for the hot engine bay environment. Heat cycling of plastic? A live cable draped over a hot engine? potential damage to the insulation of the hook-up cable?

Why bother? If you're going to have a cable stuck through a gap in the vehicle why not make it a door or tailgate. Equally rubbish.

Do it properly or dont bother.

S.

@SlidePods
I like the design of your products! Keep going!
Especally the colour-fitted to the Cali is great!

I found on:
http://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de/info/Elektrik.html
also some great ideas! I guess someone just had the same great idea as you had!
Wish you and your company all the best!

sapto
...and as soon I change my Comfort into a Beach I let you know ;)

Thanks Sapto

The electrical installations we install are made by Travel Volts. Martin is well known within the T4, T5 world as the name in leisure electrics and we are proud to install his top quality products in the manner he designed them to work. If it makes you happy I will now offer a 5 year guarantee on all the blue IP44 plugs I install with my hook-ups nationwide.

Sidepod I find the tone of your reply's offensive. I would ask you to refrain from your campaign to sully my work / reputation. Especially as you have never seen any of my work in the flesh. All the work I do is carried out to the highest standards with the best quality materials I can source.

I cannot fathom what has driven you to have such a problem with me?.

I just find it utterly bizzarre.

Imagine the scenario. A live hook up cable on a hot engine. The insulation melts exposing a live conductor.
The unsuspecting camper lifts the bonnet to unplug and receives a potentially lethal shock.

The wiring regulations go to great lengths to ensure cables aren't installed in proximity to hot/potentially damaging materials. You wouldn't get away with installing a cable like that in a building so why do it on a campsite?

Here's another one. The cable melts through to the live conductor only. In other words the circuit proctective device (cct breaker) doesn't see the fault.
The engine/vehicle is now sitting at 240v relative to earth insulated on its 4 tyres.
The happy camper approaches the vehicle, touches the door, earths the vehicle through his body and gets a belt.!

All highly unlikelt but that's how stuff happens.
For a little extra work put the hook up in a sensible place surely?

Your arse potentially in court not mine.

Last edited:
Thank you for your concern it is appreciated and duly noted :thumb.

I will test a length of arctic cable sometime to see if it is even possible to melt it in my engine bay.

Wow -
Dear Father Christmas please may I have...

I take my hat off to you Jonny. These look fantastic. :thumb

Absolutely - looks great ...... how much is one of these slide pods Jonny (that one in particular) - how easy it is to fit in and out of the vehicle. Thanks

Hi Tim glad you like the product. They start from £1750
They are really easy to install and remove and can also be used as a free standing kitchen in a driveaway awning :thumb.
The grey demo one is fully loaded bar a double USB point, 12v auto socket and the shower. In this format it would cost £1870 + fresh water tank (we offer several kinds from 10l to 70l) which we modify and supply at cost. This is also without the table which you wouldn't need in a beach.
A fully spec'd pod for a beach with .....
shower
double USB
12v auto socket
LED Lighting
Removable cutlery roll
tailored antislip matting
would retail at £2120 (we do always try to look after our customers from the cali club though ;))

Back