Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side door

Defender90

Defender90

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Just interested to know if my side door is the same as others the door is smooth running when opening but a bit lumpy as if something is in the tracks,more so if you slowly pull the door closed.

Just interested to know if my side door is the same as others the door is smooth running when opening but a bit lumpy as if something is in the tracks,more so if you slowly pull the door closed.
Ours (electric) opens smoothly but ‘shudders’ a bit as it reaches the fully open position.

Last edited:
I had mine serviced (I guess that means: Cleaning and properly adjusting) because we had some problem when closing the door standing on an uneven ground. It always sounded like "scratching".

Thanks guys yes not sure it just sounds a bit rough ,if you hold the roller unit in the middle of the door when closing
it sounds perfect

@Defender90 , if you look at the door supports, you will notice white coloured rollers at the end. These can easily gather grime and dust, which then stick on it and form lumps. When moving the door fast, this is not noticeable, but when you move the door slowly, it will feel lumpy.

The bottom roller is easy to get to ... and the one that gets dirty the fastest. Keep the door partially open and try to use a flathead screwdriver to scrape the dirt from the white rollers.

You can see (kind of see) the rollers in the pic below.

PXL_20210405_174955070.jpg

After the rollers are clean, use any dry lube to lube the slider area (not the rollers) and lightly wipe of any excess from the slider area after a few minutes. I use WD40 Dry PTFE Spray.

I also carry a small 2 inch painting brush with me always in the drivers back seat pocket. Especially useful if near the beach to get sand and dirt out of the roller tracks before moving away from location.

1626126606566.png

@Defender90 , if you look at the door supports, you will notice white coloured rollers at the end. These can easily gather grime and dust, which then stick on it and form lumps. When moving the door fast, this is not noticeable, but when you move the door slowly, it will feel lumpy.

The bottom roller is easy to get to ... and the one that gets dirty the fastest. Keep the door partially open and try to use a flathead screwdriver to scrape the dirt from the white rollers.

You can see (kind of see) the rollers in the pic below.

View attachment 81441

After the rollers are clean, use any dry lube to lube the slider area (not the rollers) and lightly wipe of any excess from the slider area after a few minutes. I use WD40 Dry PTFE Spray.

I also carry a small 2 inch painting brush with me always in the drivers back seat pocket. Especially useful if near the beach to get sand and dirt out of the roller tracks before moving away from location.

View attachment 81440
Great idea to carry a brush to prevent build up.

Could the mechanism be different on the T6.1 compared to T6? Here is a photo of my bottom hinge/roller/bracket. It looks rather different to yours. Looks like some kind of protection cap to help keep dirt, sand, etc away from the mechanism. Not sure if that is significant but thought you might find it useful. My Cali is a MY19 T6 Ocean.

IMG_5261.JPG

I think the difference is that one is manual, the other power operated door

See post # 4058

some have reported the cover is missing from some T6.1’s !

IMO there should be a factory fitted cover

See post # 4058

some have reported the cover is missing from some T6.1’s !

IMO there should be a factory fitted cover
Yes @Perfectos the cover was missing from our T6.1 (MY21). Bought one from JustKampers for a few quid rather than ‘negotiating’ with the dealership.

Could the mechanism be different on the T6.1 compared to T6? Here is a photo of my bottom hinge/roller/bracket. It looks rather different to yours. Looks like some kind of protection cap to help keep dirt, sand, etc away from the mechanism. Not sure if that is significant but thought you might find it useful. My Cali is a MY19 T6 Ocean.

View attachment 81447
The bottom roller is the same on all models. Below is my runner full open - similar to your pic.

PXL_20210714_130333914.jpg

The plastic cover is missing and plan to now get that from JustKampers. I think about £12 incl postage.

The bottom roller is the same on all models. Below is my runner full open - similar to your pic.

View attachment 81514

The plastic cover is missing and plan to now get that from JustKampers. I think about £12 incl postage.
The body shell and sliding door on T5, 5.1, 6 & 6.1 should all be the same (with a cover over the rear bracket).

another thing to add to the collection check list !

Thanks guys yes not sure it just sounds a bit rough ,if you hold the roller unit in the middle of the door when closing
it sounds perfect
Our Cali power door always had a bit of a “shudder” when nearing fully open or a few centimetres after starting to close ( bought 6 months old. However, this became worse and latterly accompanied by a grating noise when closing. There was also signs of paint damage on the rear wheel arch and the grey door moulding where the table stows had been polished.

Fortunately, at 2 years and 360 managed to get it to the dealer who diagnosed a worn centre drive roller (behind the removable plate with Ocean decal) Replaced under warranty.
Door much quieter in operation, no shudder at end of travel or starting to close and no more paint damage which was able to be machine polished out.

Our van is used most days as daily driver and door used frequently, so may be wear prone. I used dry lube occasionally but will keep a closer eye on this aspect of the power door and odd noises

EFF3AFE4-1C9B-4F29-AA4A-05851D8DE1FA.jpeg

F00F2F99-A4F1-4871-8FD6-43562E0DA910.jpeg

Back