Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I Order a 4 Motion Tomorrow?

We've got ours on finance, and I dont agree with the sentiment of 'you cant afford one if you have to finance it'. Getting finance is a tool; a means to an end to achieve something which otherwise you might not be able to. If the buyer believes that finance (and the additional cost it brings) is worth it, then that's their personal perspective. If they can afford to get it on finance, then they CAN afford it. It's simply a matter of when.

For us, the reason we got ours on finance was because we wanted it whilst our children were young, not old. If we waited until we could buy it outright, our children would have lost years of potentially fantastic experiences, and our view was that (as parents) our role is to unlock experiences. That's far more valuable to us than a feelgood of buying a vehicle outright.
Agreed, everyone has a different level of risk they are willing to take on board. I don't dabble (except through my managed 401K) in the stock market and probably not acculmulated as much wealth as I could have over the years. But that suits me fine, same with not having a mortgage for the past 20 years. I live within my means and prefer to keep my stress levels to a minimum, especially when life changes can and do happen.

If you’re talking about interest rates and down payments, that suggests to me you can’t really afford one - I mean really afford one, not afford to borrow more money - so my advice is to save what you do have and really enjoy buying something outright further down the line. My experience is that it makes for a way more enjoyable and lasting purchase. YMMV.

Too simplistic. Clearly there will be some who bite off more than they can chew. However, there are many people who use finance and have full cash cover, but don’t want that liquidity tied up in a vehicle. Many business owners for a start. That capital is more useful in their business than sat in a leisure vehicle. Doesn’t mean they can’t afford it.

We've got ours on finance, and I dont agree with the sentiment of 'you cant afford one if you have to finance it'. Getting finance is a tool; a means to an end to achieve something which otherwise you might not be able to. If the buyer believes that finance (and the additional cost it brings) is worth it, then that's their personal perspective. If they can afford to get it on finance, then they CAN afford it. It's simply a matter of when.

For us, the reason we got ours on finance was because we wanted it whilst our children were young, not old. If we waited until we could buy it outright, our children would have lost years of potentially fantastic experiences, and our view was that (as parents) our role is to unlock experiences. That's far more valuable to us than a feelgood of buying a vehicle outright.
I bought mine outright but still have twenty years left on my mortgage, can I afford it according to the original post? Who knows! I got to the same point you did though…would like to make as many memories as I can with the kids while they’re young and can bear to be around us :D

Where I might agree ever so slightly is that Juan’s Cali is a couple of months old and £12k is a high change cost ‘just’ to get 4Motion. Totally up to Juan if he thinks that’s worth it though of course!

Especially as a second or third recreational vehicle. If its the primary means of transport the financing is a little more justifiable. I've never financed a single vehicle (car, motorcycle or campervan), 60 years old and have little grey hair. Its worked for me. Making smart choices early in life does pay off.
Just consider yourself very fortunate - not everyone may have been, through their life's choices or the hand they are dealt, in such a privileged position as yourself. Everyone has different circumstances and if there are other options that work for them, surely that's a good thing. I don't think anybody pays interest out of choice , but sometimes it may be necessary and shouldn't be judged.

I don't think anybody pays interest out of choice
Thats not the way I'm reading some of the responses. Its a calculated risk taken onboard. Sometimes unavoidable eg to get a mortgage but often discretionary, like to get a brand new Cali when a cheaper early model could be purchased. All personal choices of course and no judgements being made here.

Yeah, 12k is a high cost of change for something which (personally) we've never missed. No doubt it's a better driving experience, and so on. But equally, 4Motion means no 5th seat / third rail either, so it's not win-win. All depends on personal choice.

Not a fan of slip and grip awd systems. TBH, I wouldn’t want to put my van in situations which can’t be dealt with by 2wd and a set of all season tyres.

Thats not the way I'm reading some of the responses. Its a calculated risk taken onboard. Sometimes unavoidable eg to get a mortgage but often discretionary, like to get a brand new Cali when a cheaper early model could be purchased. All personal choices of course and no judgements being made here.
Due to the Cali residuals, quite often even older models are out of reach for many. For us to get a decent finance deal, we actually had to go newer (but we didn't go new - been burned once before there). Did we have to go that new? To get a Cali, yes. Alternatively, we could have just not gotten one. But then our kids wouldn't be having the fantastic experiences they've been having. And that's absolutely worth the interest cost.

Be kicking yourself now @JuanVecino2023, you could have had a Last Edition decal to go with your flower ones.

View attachment 122114
Did VW doing something similar for previous new model changeovers. I think this is VW acknowledging themselves that the era of the utilitarian Transporter based California is about to end, leaving only car based platforms to carry the flag. Would love to know how the MV California orders are stacking up.

Alternative perspective from an old fart (well, I’m 53):

The 4Mo is fab - we bought ours new 18 months ago. But it’s much more of a pleasure when you buy it outright. I wish someone had said more of this to my younger self. If I’d borrowed less money back in my 30s and 40s, I might actually have been able to afford one earlier on.

If you’re talking about interest rates and down payments, that suggests to me you can’t really afford one - I mean really afford one, not afford to borrow more money - so my advice is to save what you do have and really enjoy buying something outright further down the line. My experience is that it makes for a way more enjoyable and lasting purchase. YMMV.
A fair few assumptions there.

I bought my 24 plate FWD with cash and used VW’s free money for the other 50%.

Not driven by financial need. Just sound fiscal sense. Don’t turn down free money when base rate is 5.25%.

I have never bought another car on finance. I own the others outright. Apart from a lease car my business pays for.

Personally, as much as I like the appeal of a 4motion, we've rarely found a time when we'd use it. Twice we've been 'stuck in the mud' - the only time that was actually a problem perse was a pub overflow where they were just careless in their choice of 'spaces'.

If it wasn't end of Cali production and the books closing tomorrow, would you chop the van in today for a 4motion? If no, then my arguement would be that it's the wrong decision.

But that's based off my own perception (and knowing how I work under FOMO). Everyone is different.
I have a 4 Motion and the only time we needed it, it didn't work. We had to flag down a passing farmer who went home to get a tow rope. We had the Haldex box/whatever serviced bu now we also carry a tow rope, and sand mats.

Pulling away on wet steep slopes, no wheel spinning which happened a lot on our 2WD T5. If you tow (a caravan) then I wouldn't buy anything else than the 4MO. (Also considering the extra cost of the 4wd, a diff lock-if you did ever get stuck with the 4MO then you'd be forever wondering if it would have made the difference!)

I have a 4 Motion and the only time we needed it, it didn't work. We had to flag down a passing farmer who went home to get a tow rope. We had the Haldex box/whatever serviced bu now we also carry a tow rope, and sand mats.
The VW Transporter 4Motion system is ALWAYS engaged and working but with the wrong tyres no better than 2wd in mud.

Permanent 4MOTION

All-wheel drive is engaged whether you’re on or off-road. In normal circumstances, the Torsen differential distributes power 40:60 between the front and rear wheels, but when off-road, the system automatically distributes power to the wheels with the most grip. When combined with other systems such as Hill Start and Hill Descent Control, you’ll find your vehicle virtually unstoppable.

Permanent 4MOTION all-wheel drive system is available as standard on Amarok and also available as an option on selected Caddy, Transporter, Crafter, California and GrandCalifornia models.

I have 4motion Ocean and love it. There are a couple of drawbacks though. 1) it's less efficient, not by much much but it's good to know. 2). I came a cropper when I tried to fit an extra seat so I could give lifts to the kids friends. 4 motions don't have the extra seat rail that you need to do this so in an Ocean you are stuck with a 4 seater.

On the plus side, I've slithered out of some muddy places where others didn't.

Pulling away on wet steep slopes, no wheel spinning which happened a lot on our 2WD T5. If you tow (a caravan) then I wouldn't buy anything else than the 4MO. (Also considering the extra cost of the 4wd, a diff lock-if you did ever get stuck with the 4MO then you'd be forever wondering if it would have made the difference!)
Think a diff lock is a must if buying 4MO. When the cost of speccing 204 PS/4 MO is £7k upspend vs FWD, daft to penny pinch and not spec diff lock.

It would be my only must have if/when I buy a 4MO.

Think a diff lock is a must if buying 4MO. When the cost of speccing 204 PS/4 MO is £7k upspend vs FWD, daft to penny pinch and not spec diff lock.

It would be my only must have if/when I buy a 4MO.
All depends where you plan to go. Sure for real off-roading over boulders or extreme elevations I can see the advantage. For places I'd be willing to drive my Cali its an expensive component when it goes wrong and likely rarely if ever used, adding unnecessary weight. YMMV.

All depends where you plan to go. Sure for real off-roading over boulders or extreme elevations I can see the advantage. For places I'd be willing to drive my Cali its an expensive component when it goes wrong and likely rarely if ever used, adding unnecessary weight. YMMV.
For real off roading I would only use a real off roader :cool:

For real off roading I would only use a real off roader :cool:
Exactly, making the diff lock unnecessary. Regular 4Mo with appropriate wheels/tyres (reduce tyre pressure if losing grip) and it's going to be good 99.5% of the time.

Exactly, making the diff lock unnecessary. Regular 4Mo with appropriate wheels/tyres (reduce tyre pressure if losing grip) and it's going to be good 99.5% of the time.
It’s the sub 1% moment when the parsimony may be regretted!

Horses for courses and all that.

I had no hesitation in ordering the diff lock option on our 4Motion along with all season tyres.

Not planning on doing any serious off roading but it could make the difference in bad snow or muddy fields.

And my gut feel was that it would enhance the value of the Cali as and when we come to sell it.

I totally agree, there's also the point that if you don't save quick enough the price rises each year increase by more than the value of the savings pot.
A carefully financed cali generally depreciates at a slower rate than the finance is paid off so it is in effect a savings scheme.

I totally agree, there's also the point that if you don't save quick enough the price rises each year increase by more than the value of the savings pot.
A carefully financed cali generally depreciates at a slower rate than the finance is paid off so it is in effect a savings scheme.

You just hand the van back and default on the finance (eg - if you are made redundant), loss/
cost to you has been the monthly finance until this point, any penalty for ending contract early & possible black mark on your credit file.

Versus if you paid cash & own the van.
Then you can just sell on for a profit. No money lost.

You just hand the van back and default on the finance (eg - if you are made redundant), loss/
cost to you has been the monthly finance until this point, any penalty for ending contract early & possible black mark on your credit file.

Versus if you paid cash & own the van.
Then you can just sell on for a profit. No money lost.
If it's worth more than the amount owed less the rebate for settling early ( there's no penalty) you flog the van pay off the finance with the some of the proceeds & keep the rest. No black mark on credit file.
Before someone chips in about not being able to sell a van on finance, you can as long as the finance is paid off at the moment of sale.

Back