Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I Order a 4 Motion Tomorrow?

Not a great fan of the Haldex system. The only time it kicked in on my Volvo XC70 it was dumb beyond belief.....no traction / activate AWD / traction / deactivate AWD / no traction.......3miles on a snowy road going arghhh, yes, arghhh, yes, yikes, yes, whoops, yes, nooo, yes, arghhh
The cali system is far better than the Volvo one.
I had V70 cross country xc70 & it was exactly as you describe, seemed to change from a front wheel drive understeering with a bit of wheelspin to a rear wheel drive oversteering tail happy thing with zero notice. I can assure you the Cali is nothing like that.

Not done. The email didn’t reach me in time!

Still, save me a fortune in cost of change. I’ll get something used in time.

Sad times

Not done. The email didn’t reach me in time!

Still, save me a fortune in cost of change. I’ll get something used in time.

Sad times
If you are like me you get 'show room fever' and 'FOMO'......... save the money, enjoy what you have and next time take time to really enjoy the buying experience without feeling rushed! (I did nearly go down a similar rabbit hole but Breeze offered a stupidly low trade in so I was saved from myself........ thankfully)

The cali system is far better than the Volvo one.
I had V70 cross country xc70 & it was exactly as you describe, seemed to change from a front wheel drive understeering with a bit of wheelspin to a rear wheel drive oversteering tail happy thing with zero notice. I can assure you the Cali is nothing like that.
That's interesting. I thought being a Haldex arrangement it would actually be the same. Haven't looked but it would be nice to have a software adaption for the Volvo that allows you to override / engage the system.

That's interesting. I thought being a Haldex arrangement it would actually be the same. Haven't looked but it would be nice to have a software adaption for the Volvo that allows you to override / engage the system.
There are several generations of Haldex with varying functionality and refinements. The SW will also be important factor too and that is proprietary the the vehicle manufacturer.

Haldex Gen 4 for my Volvo .....even though it 2013 it hasn't got the digital dash. Kicks in pretty quick nearly as fast as it kicks out...

Haldex Gen 4 for my Volvo .....even though it 2013 it hasn't got the digital dash. Kicks in pretty quick nearly as fast as it kicks out...
Which Volvo model do you own? 2013 was a cross over year to gen 5 haldex for most Volvo models. Biggest difference between Gen 4 and Gen 5 was the former is mechanically activated while the latter was controlled electronically.

Its the 5 pot 2.4 litre D4 not the 4 pot 2.0l, no digital dash, euro 5etc.... Its gen 4 as its have dimpled controller but I will look back at the photo I took.....I did service it last year but cant remember

Its the 5 pot 2.4 litre D4 not the 4 pot 2.0l, no digital dash, euro 5etc.... Its gen 4 as its have dimpled controller but I will look back at the photo I took.....I did service it last year but cant remember
Yep dimpled controller = Gen 4

"Last Edition" decal. That's sure to shift a few units.

1500 T6.1 Calis still to roll of the assembly line. I guess the Sharavan Concept wasn't the hit VW hoped it would be.
Probably more to do with the 0% finance deals and warranty extensions.

"Last Edition" decal. That's sure to shift a few units.

1500 T6.1 Calis still to roll of the assembly line. I guess the Sharavan Concept wasn't the hit VW hoped it would be.
that number matches the final two weeks of production.

No faux. Ocean is still stock.

Bummer is no 0% finance. 6.9% with £1.5k contribution best they’ll do.

Definitely will use the 4WD. Shouldn’t have been cheap out of the gate.
Alternative perspective from an old fart (well, I’m 53):

The 4Mo is fab - we bought ours new 18 months ago. But it’s much more of a pleasure when you buy it outright. I wish someone had said more of this to my younger self. If I’d borrowed less money back in my 30s and 40s, I might actually have been able to afford one earlier on.

If you’re talking about interest rates and down payments, that suggests to me you can’t really afford one - I mean really afford one, not afford to borrow more money - so my advice is to save what you do have and really enjoy buying something outright further down the line. My experience is that it makes for a way more enjoyable and lasting purchase. YMMV.

Alternative perspective from an old fart (well, I’m 53):

The 4Mo is fab - we bought ours new 18 months ago. But it’s much more of a pleasure when you buy it outright. I wish someone had said more of this to my younger self. If I’d borrowed less money back in my 30s and 40s, I might actually have been able to afford one earlier on.

If you’re talking about interest rates and down payments, that suggests to me you can’t really afford one - I mean really afford one, not afford to borrow more money - so my advice is to save what you do have and really enjoy buying something outright further down the line. My experience is that it makes for a way more enjoyable and lasting purchase. YMMV.
Especially as a second or third recreational vehicle. If its the primary means of transport the financing is a little more justifiable. I've never financed a single vehicle (car, motorcycle or campervan), 60 years old and have little grey hair. Its worked for me. Making smart choices early in life does pay off.

We've got ours on finance, and I dont agree with the sentiment of 'you cant afford one if you have to finance it'. Getting finance is a tool; a means to an end to achieve something which otherwise you might not be able to. If the buyer believes that finance (and the additional cost it brings) is worth it, then that's their personal perspective. If they can afford to get it on finance, then they CAN afford it. It's simply a matter of when.

For us, the reason we got ours on finance was because we wanted it whilst our children were young, not old. If we waited until we could buy it outright, our children would have lost years of potentially fantastic experiences, and our view was that (as parents) our role is to unlock experiences. That's far more valuable to us than a feelgood of buying a vehicle outright.

Back