Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Should I Order a 4 Motion Tomorrow?

What's the delta between what you'll now get for your swamper Fauxcean and the real McCoy?

And do you actually go anywhere that even remotely requires 4Motion?

Those are the two questions I'd be asking myself.

Last edited:
If you can afford one and it ticks all the boxes for you, then do it.
If you don't, you will never get another chance to build one to your specification.

What's the delta between what you'll now get for your swamper Fauxcean and the real McCoy?

And do you actually go anywhere that even remotely requires 4Motion?

Those are the two questions I'd be asking myself.
No faux. Ocean is still stock.

Bummer is no 0% finance. 6.9% with £1.5k contribution best they’ll do.

Definitely will use the 4WD. Shouldn’t have been cheap out of the gate.

No faux. Ocean is still stock.

Bummer is no 0% finance. 6.9% with £1.5k contribution best they’ll do.

Definitely will use the 4WD. Shouldn’t have been cheap out of the gate.
Personally, as much as I like the appeal of a 4motion, we've rarely found a time when we'd use it. Twice we've been 'stuck in the mud' - the only time that was actually a problem perse was a pub overflow where they were just careless in their choice of 'spaces'.

If it wasn't end of Cali production and the books closing tomorrow, would you chop the van in today for a 4motion? If no, then my arguement would be that it's the wrong decision.

But that's based off my own perception (and knowing how I work under FOMO). Everyone is different.

Reactions: SFO
Personally, as much as I like the appeal of a 4motion, we've rarely found a time when we'd use it. Twice we've been 'stuck in the mud' - the only time that was actually a problem perse was a pub overflow where they were just careless in their choice of 'spaces'.

If it wasn't end of Cali production and the books closing tomorrow, would you chop the van in today for a 4motion? If no, then my arguement would be that it's the wrong decision.

But that's based off my own perception (and knowing how I work under FOMO). Everyone is different.
I would chop today.

I like to seek out the mud and off beaten track. A bit tricky in the UK.

I didn’t think I would want to do it in a camper. But I realise I do. We’ll see if Breeze came through!

I don’t think it’s quite that binary as he may have ended up chopping it in a month’s time and that option will no longer be available. Am in a similar position with a GC and Breeze have offered to refund my deposit in full if I wish to cancel my order prior to the van being built, and even once it’s built they’ll refund it in full once they’ve sold the vehicle to someone else if I don’t want it. That takes the immediate emotional pressure out of the decision for me.

Am not suggesting you muck them around - you definitely shouldn’t - but there will be a little bit of breathing space once the pressure of the order book closing has gone away. Conversely, if you don’t order one you may end up looking at used 4Motions this time next month, which you’ll probably end up paying more for. Personally I’d rather have the option on the table but appreciate everyone is different.

Last edited:
There is so much more to the 4Motion drive system than off-road or wet campsite ability. It is a very different driving experience all round.

Be even better when they release a twin motor E-Cali. Subject to a decent range.

Never been stuck....even on a very wet campsite, that quite a few got stuck on, even a 4 motion...... to be fair the campsite owner told the chap not to go on there and he said its alright I have a 4 motion and then got stuck.....lol. That said I cheated and reversed out from my pitch.

Not a great fan of the Haldex system. The only time it kicked in on my Volvo XC70 it was dumb beyond belief.....no traction / activate AWD / traction / deactivate AWD / no traction.......3miles on a snowy road going arghhh, yes, arghhh, yes, yikes, yes, whoops, yes, nooo, yes, arghhh

and I was on all season tyres....so slippy.

Back