Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service interval question

How does the van measure the viscosity of the oil?

Don't know. I assume there is a sensor of some sort in the sump somewhere. The dealer told me this when I was enquiring how the variable servicing works.

Don't know. I assume there is a sensor of some sort in the sump somewhere. The dealer told me this when I was enquiring how the variable servicing works.

Mmmmm not sure about that, I thought it was calculated on time, distance and lenght of journies.

Anyone else know about this?

I was talking to an experienced mechanic yesterday. The sensor passes a current through the oil/ contaminants and flags up when it fails parameters.

I was talking to an experienced mechanic yesterday. The sensor passes a current through the oil/ contaminants and flags up when it fails parameters.

If VW can put software in to mislead the emmision tests ....who knows what other gadgets are built in our Cali's
:)

That sounds better then testing the viscosity, is it testing for contamination caused by short journeys perhaps?

What will they think of next, lights that turn on when you go around bends------my pet hate.:mute

I agree, makes more sense, perhaps that's what they meant by viscosity as I suppose the oil could get thinner with contamination. Anyway, dealers are never wrong, are they??? :headbang

My Wife's X5 (now replaced) went from 4000mile to an oil change to 700 overdue in the space of 1000miles driving. The garage wasn't too worried. The reason for the rapid decline was the degrading of the oil due to short journeys.

Up to you what you do,most blown turbos and cam wear problems occur on vehicles with long life servicing .like I said oil is cheap,engines aren't.
What I find interesting is that there are people who think nothing of paying several thousand pounds for auto gearboxes ,and 4 wheel drive systems and dont mind the increased maintenance and subsequent costs involved but seem to give less thought to what is arguably the most important component in your vehicle..the oil..it only takes about an hour ,a set of ramps and a spanner or two,it really is very very simple.but maybe its not for some,
But thats fine we are all free to spend or not .

I agree on the effects of poor or inadequate oil quality or supply but I still wonder as to the proportion of engines that fail for this reason as this has not been my experience albeit my sample may not be representative.

Regards 4WD, gearbox and transmission oils, although generally diferent to engine oil are frequently neglected with expensive consequences as you say.

At risk of violently agreeing - oil change is easy for those who are willing to have a go.

I still stand by the point that sticking to the manufacturer's service schedule should not be a problem but as we've both said if people are happy to spend the money that's their prerogative.

Back