Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Running different tyres front and back?

V

very long username

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi,

I recently got a sidewall puncture on one of the front tyres on Beach 6.1 (not repairable). All tyres have done ~8K miles. Plenty of tread.

Current Tyres (from factory): Bridgestone Duravis 215/60R17. 6.5 mm tread remaining.

Rather than replacing the tyre like for like I was thinking about replacing both fronts with all/4 season alternatives (suggestions welcome - cross climates??). I have found that the current tyres are no good at all in anything resembling soft ground, and we have got stuck a couple of times outside of the summer months on verges/fields etc.

My question is - are there any downsides to running different fronts and backs given that the van isn't a 4motion? If I have to replace all four, then so be it. But if I can get away with running all-seasons on the front and the current ones on the back until they're due to be replaced that would save a bit of money and be less wasteful. I'd change the rears to match all-season fronts when they were due for a replacement (which I guess would be another 8–10K miles or so.

Last edited:
My understanding is the the tyres with the most/best grip should always be on the back (regardless of FWD or RWD) so you could put the new ones on the back for now then when you replace the other two swap the back ones to the front.

Note I am not a tyre expert and I am sure many will on here will contradict what I have said, so do a quick Google search and you will see that this is general wisdom amongst tyre manufacturers and experts.

Hi,

I recently got a sidewall puncture on one of the front tyres on Beach 6.1 (not repairable). All tyres have done ~8K miles. Plenty of tread.

Current Tyres (from factory): Bridgestone Duravis 215/60R17. 6.5 mm tread remaining.

Rather than replacing the tyre like for like I was thinking about replacing both fronts with all/4 season alternatives (suggestions welcome - cross climates??). I have found that the current tyres are no good at all in anything resembling soft ground, and we have got stuck a couple of times outside of the summer months on verges/fields etc.

My question is - are there any downsides to running different fronts and backs given that the van isn't a 4motion? If I have to replace all four, then so be it. But if I can get away with running all-seasons on the front and the current ones on the back until they're due to be replaced that would save a bit of money and be less wasteful. I'd change the rears to match all-season fronts when they were due for a replacement (which I guess would be another 8–10K miles or so.
If you go for the same size it shouldn't be an issue but not ideal as the grip might be different.

If same size etc shouldn't be a problem. I'm with chockswahay, new tyres on the rear. Ask your tyre fitter if they can do it, they might do. My last lot of tyres they wouldn't swap round as they said it would upset the tpms, it doesn't on my cars, they just couldn't be arsed with the extra work.

Hi,

On normal (summer) tyres, there is absolutely no problem with different tyres front and back (FWD).
But as you say it now, you will be having a different type of tyres front and back. That will be bad for grip/traction.
If you change your Bridgestones for GoodYear, for example, there is no problem. If you put 4-season at the front or back, and summer on the back or front, this I wouldn't recommend. Apart for having trouble at the MOT possibly, the difference in grip will be treacherous.

Hi,

Do you not have a matching spare ? use that for now & buy a first cross climate to use as an emergency spare. Then when all 4 wear down replace them as a set.

As others have said you don't strictly need to.

However some sites do extra discount for 4, sometimes with vouchers codes etc.

Also vehicles always feel better with 4 matching tyres as they behave far more predictably. You would benefit even more by swapping all four for the better sized 235 tyres and benefiting from better comfort for the next 10k miles.

Just not worth it...If you're going to swap just do all 4

I would get all 4 changed for CC2's and put the remaining set up for sale to get some money back. Note that CC2's are directional tires and therefore not ideal as a spare.

Change all four and retain the best ones to sell on, you’ll also save the tyre fitters disposal charge.

As others have said you don't strictly need to.

However some sites do extra discount for 4, sometimes with vouchers codes etc.

Also vehicles always feel better with 4 matching tyres as they behave far more predictably. You would benefit even more by swapping all four for the better sized 235 tyres and benefiting from better comfort for the next 10k miles.

Sounds like it’s not worth the faff of doing a pair at a time and I should just do all four.

I didn’t realise there were two possible tyres that might be put on the same rim (to be honest I didn’t actually realise there was tolerance for different width tyres on the same rims!).

I read up on the cross climate 235s and it sounds like folks prefer them.

Now I need to decide whether to just bite a bigger bullet and get 18” alloys while I’m replacing everything anyway

I would get all 4 changed for CC2's and put the remaining set up for sale to get some money back. Note that CC2's are directional tires and therefore not ideal as a spare.
You’ve got a 50% chance of it being a perfect spare, & just as good as any other tyre for the other 50% if stuck abroad you stand a far better chance of getting a tyre fitter to turn the tyre round on the rim than you would have of finding a matching replacement in stock.

It's better to have 5 matching tyres, rather then trying to save a few £. You can always sell the old tyres to offset the cost.

Normal ‘Summer’ tyres generally have a shorter stopping distance in the wet versus all season / winter tyres. So avoid mixing tyre types as might result in unpredictable handling in a 3 ton van under heavy braking.

Always fit deeper tread tyres on the rear as its easier to control a front end slide, if the worst happens you might end up in the hedge/kerb on your side of the road. If the back end goes then you more likely to stray into oncoming traffic so the the combined impact speed will be far higher.

Sounds like it’s not worth the faff of doing a pair at a time and I should just do all four.

I didn’t realise there were two possible tyres that might be put on the same rim (to be honest I didn’t actually realise there was tolerance for different width tyres on the same rims!).

I read up on the cross climate 235s and it sounds like folks prefer them.

Now I need to decide whether to just bite a bigger bullet and get 18” alloys while I’m replacing everything anyway

Alloys / tyres is a mine field and requires a fair amount of research. Especially as prices have increased over the last 5 years. They aren't quite as disposable as they used to be.

Now is definitely the time to decide if you want 18s or not. Your old 215 tyres will be alot easier to sell on rims

You’ve got a 50% chance of it being a perfect spare, & just as good as any other tyre for the other 50% if stuck abroad you stand a far better chance of getting a tyre fitter to turn the tyre round on the rim than you would have of finding a matching replacement in stock.
Slightly astray from the topic here: all the times in my life that I’ve needed the spare, it’s been on the right hand side (we drive on the right here). The side of the road seems to be where all the nails are, and sometimes you need to get into the verge for passing and parking. So now I had my spare kitted out for right side use, hoping to increase my chances above that 50%.
In the UK that should be left side of course.

I didn’t bother with a new spare, if I get a flat it will get me to a tyre shop in the same way the ‘emergency’ spares do on cars. I certainly wouldn’t be driving it like I stole it on my way to the tyre shop so not really an issue (to me).

I did all 4 and got a discount for a cash refund. Check out deals for Michelin. As said do 4 and sell the others on ebay or such

Back