Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

roof bolt rust

Devaprem

Devaprem

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello,

Has anyone had one of the elevating roof bolts rusting? In checking the front passenger side drain hole to see nothing was blocking it, I noticed the front bolt that secures the elevating roof scissors mechanism to the main bodywork is rusting. There's minor rust further back too.

The corresponding passenger side roof bolt shows some very minor rust

Any comments / thoughts appreciated

CJ19 AVW roof bolt (driver's side) 03.jpeg

CJ19 AVW roof bolt (driver's side) 02.jpeg

CJ19 AVW roof bolt rust (passenger side).jpeg

CJ19 AVW roof bolt (driver's side) 01.jpeg

Hello,

Has anyone had one of the elevating roof bolts rusting? In checking the front passenger side drain hole to see nothing was blocking it, I noticed the front bolt that secures the elevating roof scissors mechanism to the main bodywork is rusting. There's minor rust further back too.

View attachment 108519

View attachment 108520

View attachment 108521

View attachment 108518
Personally not had this problem.
You could either replace or treat with a hefty application of ACF50, an anti rust agent used a lot on aircraft and motorbikes.

Hello,

View attachment 108519

View attachment 108520

View attachment 108521

View attachment 108518
One of my ones looks like that too, the others are all ok. I think it was passenger side front one thats rusty on mine. My drain pipe isn't blocked (but I guess it might have been in the past). I dont think it's a big deal, might just make it more tricky to undo if it ever needs to be, if it seizes in. I haven't done anything with my one, but coating it in somthing, or painting it would probably help stopping it from rusting further.

Hello,

View attachment 108519

View attachment 108520

View attachment 108521

View attachment 108518
Yes, I discovered just the same on both sides, around four months after delivery new. It appeared to be unique to these two bolts, which are not galvanised (whilst the other roof bolts are).

I removed each and coated them thickly with Unigel Turbo Gel (clear synthetic marine grade grease) then replaced.

Checked our T5.1. No corrosion at all, but galvanised.

I would remove them and put a small amount of copper grease on the thread, screw them back in..in case you ever need to remove them a future date. Or order replacment bolts.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies and suggestions. Welshgas - I'll get some ACF50 soon. I've discovered the tow ball is rusty too, so it will get the same treatment!

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies and suggestions. Welshgas - I'll get some ACF50 soon. I've discovered the tow ball is rusty too, so it will get the same treatment!
I am sure you are not meant to put anything on a towball.
Just give it a good rub with a dry microfibre cloth.
It must be metal on metal to work as specification.
No grease/ sprays, any type of anything on a towball.
With regards the rusted bolts.
I’d ask VW main dealer why one bolts rusted and the other not.
A case of, pick any bolt for manufacturings… one was galvanised the other not.
How olds the vehicle?

As said, Do Not use on the tow ball.

As said, Do Not use on the tow ball.
I think @WelshGas is right in the context of friction dependent bike rack or similar cantilevered tow bar device. When I had a farm, we were forever greasing all our towing balls to prevent them wearing out of shape, but that was actually for towing when the ball and socket were in constant axial/rotational movement.

Last edited:
If using with something like a al-ko hitch on a caravan don’t grease.
If using a normal hitch keep it greased with clean grease.

I’ve contacted Indespension to ask their opinion about greasing a towball.
I’m guessing there are sometimes you do and sometimes you mustn’t.
So, as with many engineering questions, there are a multitude of answers when asking grease or no grease and for what application.
I’ll also ask GDW, Westfalia and PFJones.

Thanks for all your tow ball comments. I realise this is off-topic (and I mentioned the tow ball in the first place!) but just to mention: the Caravan AL-KO stabiliser has pressure pads inside the tow socket that, if rust, paint flakes or other material get in, reduce the efficiency of the stabiliser. I was advised to remove the paint on the tow ball when it was new for this reason -the stabiliser pads would scrape the paint off. I'm not planning to use it for a while (on a seasonal pitch) , so will just use emery paper and a light machine oil to prevent rust, which I'll clean off before using.

Back to the roof bolt topic: Californication69, my vehicle was first registered in June 2019, so manufacturer's warranty has expired. I do have an All-in Plan but I don't think that covers rust.

Thanks for all your tow ball comments. I realise this is off-topic (and I mentioned the tow ball in the first place!) but just to mention: the Caravan AL-KO stabiliser has pressure pads inside the tow socket that, if rust, paint flakes or other material get in, reduce the efficiency of the stabiliser. I was advised to remove the paint on the tow ball when it was new for this reason -the stabiliser pads would scrape the paint off. I'm not planning to use it for a while (on a seasonal pitch) , so will just use emery paper and a light machine oil to prevent rust, which I'll clean off before using.

Back to the roof bolt topic: Californication69, my vehicle was first registered in June 2019, so manufacturer's warranty has expired. I do have an All-in Plan but I don't think that covers rust.
I’d be really cheesed off if they (VW dealer) tried to fob me off with why a bolt should rust.
Why’s the other one not rusted ?
Makes no sense!
Unless you’ve cleaned and protected just one bolt for the 4 years the vehicles been registered !
And that’s not the case, so obviously the wrong bolt was installed whilst it was manufactured.
Get cross with the dealer, and demand it’s fixed.
I really hate shoddy workmanship.
Especially when we spend our hard earned money!!
Let us know how you get on …

Thanks for your comments. My vehicle’s is booked in for its service, this roof bolt rust and some other inspections / work in about a month’s time. The dealer, Citygate in Wooburn Green, has given very good service so far. Hopefully the same will be the case for this problem (and any others). I’ll update this post when I have news

Apologies for the delay to anyone watching this thread. Citygate did indeed replace the roof bolt but that one has become rusty. I should have sprayed it with ACF-50 that Welsh Gas suggested. I now have a new bolt (all of 67p to buy!) and some ACF-50. I’m thinking to replace it myself. Has anyone removed this roof bolt for this or any other reason? I don’t want to just unscrew it as it bears some of the load of pop-up roof. Perhaps some support is needed before replacing?

Apologies for the delay to anyone watching this thread. Citygate did indeed replace the roof bolt but that one has become rusty. I should have sprayed it with ACF-50 that Welsh Gas suggested. I now have a new bolt (all of 67p to buy!) and some ACF-50. I’m thinking to replace it myself. Has anyone removed this roof bolt for this or any other reason? I don’t want to just unscrew it as it bears some of the load of pop-up roof. Perhaps some support is needed before replacing?

No, will be fine

Once you have replaced the bolts put a good dab of grease over the top to keep water from pooling around the bolt head, mine van purchased second hand came like this, probably done by the previous owner, then check every year wipe clean and re-grease as needed.

Thank you. I'll add that to my yearly maintenance list

I bought the new bolt from Citygate VW St Albans, having given them the part number that Citygate Wooburn Green had for the one they replaced last year. I then took off the old one and found that it is much shorter and has an integrated washer. I could cut the new one to length (and perhaps add a suitable washer) but would prefer one that's exactly the same. Has anyone bought a replacement bolt that was the same length and has an integrated washer? The part number for the one I have is WN 105 211 02.

IMG_6414.jpeg

IMG_6411.jpeg

I’d go to an Iron Mongers and show them the bolt.
They’ll source you a replacement and maybe take a picture of what it bolts into.
Body or aluminium, so the two don’t fuse together and have a chemical reaction.
They know their “nuts and bolts !”
I can’t believe VW got it wrong (sarcasm ;)

Thanks. I'm not sure of the metal it screws into - part of it rests on the mounting base for the roof scissor mechanism (steel perhaps?) and then it goes omit the bodywork (aluminium, I guess).

sorry - typo 'omit should be 'into'!'

With the help of Citygate VW in St Albans (thanks to Mark), we identified that the part number for the correct bolt as WN 908 973 05 "TR12C1 SCREW' (photo attached). One thing, though - there's a minimum order of, I think, 20! Fortunately, Mark was able to find just one at another VW / Skoda garage nearby. So, in case anyone else needs to replace their roof bolt, this is the part number.

Roof bolt screw.png