Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS-510 a £2k option! Whats the RCD-310 with sensors like?

Re: RNS-510 a £2k option! Whats the RCD-310 with sensors lik

Hi,

The rcd510 was a direct swap for the rcd310. It took around 10 mins to do. just plug it in and input the radio code.

As for sound quality, I really can't remember what the 310 sounded like as I swapped it out as soon as I got the van. the 510 is plenty load enough though. Caravelles have 8 speakers from what I remember (I don't know about Cali's) so sound fills the van completely.

The reason I bought it was because I wanted a 6cd changer but didn't like the under seat option. Also, the SD slot is fantastic. We have most of our albums on a 16gb card. Navigating to which album you want is pretty easy.
My RCD510 doesn't have DAB but I do see them on Ebay for around £200 inc the DAB. You'd just need a glass mount DAB antenna and you'd be away.

Someone mentioned not wanting a window mount satnav with wires trailing etc. I don't like that either so I use my phone.
I have a brodit clip http://www.brodit.com/productList.h...=Volkswagen&model=Caravelle&year=2010&pn=prod which clips onto the dash. You can then get the appropriate holder for you particular smart phone. Get an active one which you can hard wire in so you have charging whilst docked. This worked great on a 2k mile trip throughout France a few summers ago.

I've attached a few pics below. It was dark when I took them so sorry about the quality.

DSC_0090.jpgDSC_0098.jpgDSC_0100.jpg
DSC_0096.jpg

Pity the graphic showing a car rather than a Cali! :D

drmw1335 said:
Pity the graphic showing a car rather than a Cali! :D

Every chance that would be fixed when it was coded properly.

Deedee - I'm probably being thick, but I don't understand "plenty load enough"?

IanE said:
Deedee - I'm probably being thick, but I don't understand "plenty load enough"?
Oops, sorry, 'loud' enough :oops:

Looks like I missed the window to edit it now?

Thanks for that Deedee (it's more the clarity that I'm interested in, so I guess I won't bother)

The RNS510 offers good sound in my opinion and has Dolby DTS.

If I was feeling a little over encumbered with cash I'd probably go for one of these
DABVW_Banner.jpg

http://www.vau-max.de/news/news_artikel/id=2729
Kenwood dnx521dab

I think retail's around £1000

Try and buy one at £800?

Does everything you could want. Dab radio, satnav, bluetooth , DVD player, and works in harmony with your Vw, showing parking distance control graphics and the climate control info etc.

I believe and have read that the problems of the last model the 520 having sluggish touch screen responses have been addressed.

That kenwood does look lush I must admit ... I would be tempted on a used Cali as an upgrade ,but I do like the vw blended in factory install look ,as its designed fir the vw dash with colours,knobs and buttons being vw and sure the 510 would give more selling power after market
I've just got a brand new 510p to go in my Cali :)

choplee said:
That kenwood does look lush I must admit ... I would be tempted on a used Cali as an upgrade ,but I do like the vw blended in factory install look ,as its designed fir the vw dash with colours,knobs and buttons being vw and sure the 510 would give more selling power after market
I've just got a brand new 510p to go in my Cali :)

I don't think I've seen the 510p?? Is at a new one out?

The Kenwood unit is designed to integrate with VAG vehicles. You can change the colours of the background leds to suit which model you fit it in, be it VW, Skoda or SEAT to tatally match your dash.
You can also change the start up splash screen to depict which marque.

BTW, anyone who was considering this Kenwood, bear in mind that it only fits the California/Transporter T5 GP 2010 onwards :thumb

Production date on unit is end of oct ... Not sure of changes to the unit just probably firmware updates...
Agreed that kenwood is a lovely unit and worth a look if your out for an upgrade on the standard 310

Just following this thread and thinking of doing the same upgrade. Have the 310 currently with f+r sensors BUT but no Bluetooth or multi-function steering wheel.

If I put in the 510 will this mean I get Bluetooth or do I need to fit another module? Also, do I need to fit a GPS antenna or is this integral to the 510, is there any coding required in my situation (re. note from Stu) and finally where do I buy from if I self install?

Thanks!

Caliburt said:
Just following this thread and thinking of doing the same upgrade. Have the 310 currently with f+r sensors BUT but no Bluetooth or multi-function steering wheel.

If I put in the 510 will this mean I get Bluetooth or do I need to fit another module? Also, do I need to fit a GPS antenna or is this integral to the 510, is there any coding required in my situation (re. note from Stu) and finally where do I buy from if I self install?

Thanks!

RNS510 does not have bluetooth built in so you will need an to buy this seperately.
GPS antenna comes with unit & sits under the top of the dash.
It will need coding with vcds to work fully.

Stu can give you details as to where best to buy.

The Kenwood unit is the factory model installed into Sportlines by VW - it does look an awesome unit, with integrated Bluetooth & displaying VW-specific info like air conditioning/heated seats on the big screen and that split screen nav looks very cool

kenwood-dnx521dab-klima-neu.jpg

There's some kind of iPhone app control on there, but details are a bit sketchy

http://www.kenwood.eu/products/car/navigation/navigation/DNX521DAB/

I'd be very tempted on this for around £800 over the factory unit.

Back