Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

RNS-510 a £2k option! Whats the RCD-310 with sensors like?

A

AndyFromTheBrac

Guest User
Sorry fellas I have caught the Cali bug BIG style now I'm gonna have so many questions....

I do like the look of the RNS 510 Nav setup, but NOT at almost £2k

Hazzy Dayz (have a decent rep on the T5forums) retro fit new units for £1090 http://www.vwcruise.com/Vw-RNS-510-Sat-Nav-Golf-Passat-EOS.html or refurbs for £800, so what does the factory unit offer over this for £900 more? (If I wanted the rear cam it's close to £3k from VW, half that from these guys :? )

I think if I go new, I'll retro-fit that or just have the RCD-310 with sensors. Does anyone have a pic of the parking sensors that use the standard RDC-310 unit, or is it just acoustic (no display)?

I've been having a look over here http://www.vag-tec.com/vw-commerical/california but nothing other than acoustic sensors

thanks, Andy

Re: RNS-510 a £2k option! Whats the RCD-310 with sensors lik

This is what you get
With an obsticle
The bar get nearer the closer you are

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352646730.066033.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352646773.112648.jpg

Cheers Kev, I think that looks pretty neat!

I really wish car manufacturers would start printing stuff that matters and not lots of arty farty shots of cars on country lanes!

RNS510 is nothing short of the best OEM Nav I have ever used.

I bought a brand new one for a little over £600 a while back and more recently I've just arranged two for other members here and they were £640 each.

Fitting is around 10 mins.

There's a saving already!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stu said:
RNS510 is nothing short of the best OEM Nav I have ever used.

I bought a brand new one for a little over £600 a while back and more recently I've just arranged two for other members here and they were £640 each.

Fitting is around 10 mins.

There's a saving already!!

Agreed with Stu. Best sat nav OEM on the market. I have it in my wifes ED35, and its just such a great piece of kit.

Stu where are you getting them from for £640 new?

Ed has them.

The one Lee has just got was only manufactured a couple of weeks ago according to the labels on it.

Do the sensors fit the 510 with minimal fuss? So if I were to retro fit one after buying, the sensors can be plugged in?

I agree they look very nice, but seems silly VW ask £2k for em if they're under £700 new?

You will still need F&R sensors fitted to the van. The sensor image is delivered over CAN so the RNS510 reads that in the same way the 310 does it just displays in in a nicer way.

There aren't any wiring changes required to install an RNS510.

We went for front and rear sensors on our Cali with the 310 head unit. I plan to upgrade with a hazy dayz 510 sometime next year

I've been looking at these on ebay, whats the model number and version I need to be looking for..?? From what I can see the latest version is MFD3 LED"E" H70.....

Many thanks

Lee got has just -

1T0 035 680 P

HW08
SW 5128

Manufactured 17/10/12

Can't remember what mine is off the top of my head but it's a little older than that, 680 E HW74 I think.

Stu,
Do you know if a dealer-fitted MDI would still work if I swapped out my 310 for a 510? I have F&R sensors but that sound like it should be okay. I have Premium Bluetooth too - would that all work still?
Thanks,
--Nick

BillyBain said:
I've been looking at these on ebay, whats the model number and version I need to be looking for..?? From what I can see the latest version is MFD3 LED"E" H70.....

Many thanks

I paid the extra and got brand new one billy ....I tried eBay ,but when I enquired they didn't really know much about what they was selling and found it wasn't going to fit my Cali when they said it would ...be slightly eBay aware

nickstjt said:
Stu,
Do you know if a dealer-fitted MDI would still work if I swapped out my 310 for a 510? I have F&R sensors but that sound like it should be okay. I have Premium Bluetooth too - would that all work still?
Thanks,
--Nick

I have mdi on my 310 and swopping out for my new 510 and will work ,as stu has done :)

nickstjt said:
Stu,
Thanks,
--Nick

Should be just fine Nick, the only thing to tidy everything up properly is a little bit of VCDS coding and I can help you with that. Do you have a MFSW?

Hi Stu,
Yes, I have the MFSW - I presume that is ok as it looks like you have pretty much the same kit as me. Thanks for the very kind offer of help with the coding - I may well take you up on that (and some advice on where to source a 510)! Now I need to work out whether I can justify the money! I currently use CoPilot on my iPhone to navigate which is fine but I'm not keen on all the dangling wires and the mount stuck to my windscreen :doh

Absolutely would not pay £2k, but this is getting into more realistic money :D
Thanks!
--Nick

I currently use CoPilot on my iPhone to navigate which is fine but I'm not keen on all the dangling wires and the mount stuck to my windscreen :doh

That is exactly why I bought an RNS510 for my Cali. Did not like idea of wires everywhere in a £43K vehicle.

It is quite a lot of money but it is also a great device. I now have the latest V9 maps on mine which seem to be quite up to date too.

How much do map updates cost?
Thanks

They are about £140-£160 retail I think.

I removed the rcd 310 from our van and fitted an rcd510.
A nice unit with built in 6 disk changer and an sd slot for your mp3's. Takes a 16gb card with thousands of albums.

I use my phone as the navigation.

A greatly cheaper suggestion maybe? As you can get the rcd510 for around £200 and my phone nav updates are free.
photo3.jpg

deedee said:
A nice unit with built in 6 disk changer and an sd slot for your mp3's. Takes a 16gb card with thousands of albums.

A greatly cheaper suggestion maybe? As you can get the rcd510 for around £200 and my phone nav updates are free.
photo3.jpg

Fair enough, each to their own !

deedee said:

photo3.jpg

At around £200 each, those units seem to be a bargain, if you're not looking for Nav. I'm assuming a straight swap? Good shout.

Dee dee - is there any noticeable improvement in sound quality from the rcd310 to the 510? That would be the main motivation for me to swap.

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Like the idea of the RCD 510 myself.

Back