Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for a Folding E-Bicycle.

There are some pretty expensive bikes being suggested here. OP (if you're still reading this thread), what is your budget?

There are some pretty expensive bikes being suggested here. OP (if you're still reading this thread), what is your budget?
£3000 for 2 bicycles.

I agreee with your comment. I'm looking for a folding bike for trips away in the California. It will not be a commuting bike. I won't be carrying it on the bus/train. I want to be able to do basic servicing on it . It has to be UK/EU approved especially battery and charger. It doesn't need to be made of rare metals so that it is the lightest bike on the planet, just a basic folding bike that has E assist for 2 elderly users who don't want a bike rack.

At the moment the ADO Air 20 - International version is top of the list.

Probably the opposite of the carbon fibre folders that have been suggested but two of these would come in well under your budget. They fold pretty small.

Not much of a budget. You gets what you pays for! Not criticising, but management of expectations etc.

Not much of a budget. You gets what you pays for! Not criticising, but management of expectations etc.
Not really. We have full sized ebikes at home for use at home. Spend 5 weeks a year down under and probably 2 months plus sleeping in the California and 50% of those trips we take the bikes at present.
So for 30 days a year a folding ebike to tootle around on is all that's required. Might encourage us to take them more often rather than the fuss of fitting the rack and bikes for use or just in case. Long distance cycling and cycling holidays are in the past as we both approach our 80s.

Proper party poopers in the EU when it comes to ebikes. Reiss and Mueller sells some really tasty models capable of 45km/hr plus. Can't use them on the cycle paths and there is no way I would ride an e-bike on the the road. 25km/hr is the limit and then it's all you. Peddling a 25kg bike isn't much fun.
I ride my non-electric bike on the road, mostly below 25km/hr. Why wont you ride an e-bike on the road?

Why wont you ride an e-bike on the road?
Because of all the distracted numpties on their cellphones. I almost got flattened today as I was traversing a pedestrian/cycle crossing. She with a cellphone in one hand, steering wheel in the other. Good thing her brakes were working.

Not really. We have full sized ebikes at home for use at home. Spend 5 weeks a year down under and probably 2 months plus sleeping in the California and 50% of those trips we take the bikes at present.
So for 30 days a year a folding ebike to tootle around on is all that's required. Might encourage us to take them more often rather than the fuss of fitting the rack and bikes for use or just in case. Long distance cycling and cycling holidays are in the past as we both approach our 80s.
What I was meaning is, for £1500 spend on a folding ebike you’re not gonna get much more than oriental mediocrity. Something to be avoided at all costs.

What I was meaning is, for £1500 spend on a folding ebike you’re not gonna get much more than oriental mediocrity. Something to be avoided at all costs.
Many of the components are made in the middle east or China. As long as there is support from a recognised company in the UK then I don't see the problem. The California is not manufactured in Germany. It is assembled in Germany from parts made all over.

The whole idea of China only producing cheap and nasty parts is very outdated. Setting aside anyone's personal stance on China's politics they decided several decades ago to generally aim for quality over cheap mass production. Yes, there are still nastily made products coming out of China but some of their precision CNC type production is the best in the World.

I think you'd struggle to find a bike manufacturer that isn't heavily reliant on Chinese made parts, hence why lots of manufacturers prefer to place the emphasis on "assembled in the UK" or similar.

It’s not about the small components, they’re simple and rarely go wrong. It’s about the motor/battery.
Bosch, Shimano, Brose and Yamaha. The rest are questionable and lack dealer support.

I would suggest you look at the likes of an e-Brompton how you'd look at a California; face value seems a lot (well, it is!), but very strong residuals so if/when you decide to sell, you're likely to recoup a fair chunk. I wouldn't dream of spending 4 figures on anything from DeCathlon, let alone begin to imagine what the residuals look like.

I get it though, there's a budget and Bromptons are expensive. I acquired mine (non-electric!) when a high spec Brompton was still in 3 figures and on the CycleScheme but times have moved on since then!

It’s not about the small components, they’re simple and rarely go wrong. It’s about the motor/battery.
Bosch, Shimano, Brose and Yamaha. The rest are questionable and lack dealer support.

Fair comment on the main components. We have two e-bikes in our immediate family, both using Bosch motors for the reasons you say.

I would suggest you look at the likes of an e-Brompton how you'd look at a California; face value seems a lot (well, it is!), but very strong residuals so if/when you decide to sell, you're likely to recoup a fair chunk. I wouldn't dream of spending 4 figures on anything from DeCathlon, let alone begin to imagine what the residuals look like.

I get it though, there's a budget and Bromptons are expensive. I acquired mine (non-electric!) when a high spec Brompton was still in 3 figures and on the CycleScheme but times have moved on since then!

I get that Bromptons are brilliant bits of kit (brother in-law has one) I just checked out the price of an electric one and they start at nearly 3 grand. The OP wants to spend up to that on two bikes for occasional use.

In general, Decathlon do have a very good reputation for value. The quality often surprisingly good for the price.

My recommendation would be that local service support is a big factor. A good local bike shop that has been selling e-bikes for a while and is fairly accessible would be my priority. Not a pop-up quick cash in type place, but an established place.

£3000 for 2 bicycles.

I agreee with your comment. I'm looking for a folding bike for trips away in the California. It will not be a commuting bike. I won't be carrying it on the bus/train. I want to be able to do basic servicing on it . It has to be UK/EU approved especially battery and charger. It doesn't need to be made of rare metals so that it is the lightest bike on the planet, just a basic folding bike that has E assist for 2 elderly users who don't want a bike rack.

At the moment the ADO Air 20 - International version is top of the list.
It looks pretty good. The advantage over the Declathon offering is 2.6 kg less and more than double the range. The downside is the single gear; how hard would it be to pedal once the battery is flat?
Is it the 30kph that attracts you to the international version?

It looks pretty good. The advantage over the Declathon offering is 2.6 kg less and more than double the range. The downside is the single gear; how hard would it be to pedal once the battery is flat?
Is it the 30kph that attracts you to the international version?
Not really. It's a no cost option that can be switched on if the extra power is needed off public roads . Some owners found it useful occasionally.

I personally wouldn’t touch a Decathlon bike. I find a lot of their products are poor quality.
I would say a key consideration with a fold up bike, is not having a chain. Carbon belt is cleaner and maintenance free.
The Ado is insane value considering what it offers. Typical Chinese affair.
Like the car industry, the big bike industry brands need to wake up and start competing with Chinese pricing…

I personally wouldn’t touch a Decathlon bike. I find a lot of their products are poor quality.
I would say a key consideration with a fold up bike, is not having a chain. Carbon belt is cleaner and maintenance free.
The Ado is insane value considering what it offers. Typical Chinese affair.
Like the car industry, the big bike industry brands need to wake up and start competing with Chinese pricing…
Slightly larger than some companies,
Screenshot_20240419_091633_Chrome~2.jpg

Main prob with small folders is they run hub motors which are just not part of mainstream dev with the main players.
Hub drives tend to be cheap and cheerful/bolt-on/Deliveroo bike.

The main consideration here, aside from WG’s spending policy is to get something that won’t spontaneously combust which brings us back to quality brands/££.

I had a Wisper 806 a while ago and sold it on this site. A very good , well made folding bike. The ad is still accessible.

We are approaching that age when hitching up a tow bar bike rack and loading 2 adult bikes is becoming a bit of a hassle.
We have full sized bikes we use at home but are looking for a folding e-bike x 2 that we can pop in the van when going away for use at our destination , popping to the shops cycling on cycle ways or towpaths etc.
Weight is not a problem . Just need something we can pop in the van, unpack when we get there and use or chain upto the vehicle if not using.
So hybrid use and a 20 mile ( 40 Km ) range or so for occasional use.

Plenty of Chinese imports around, not all legal in the UK, but really want a UK seller rather than Amazon .

Any recommendations?
Estarli. See Jake. Uk firm based in Buckinghamshire. Just bought 2 at the recent nec show

Not really. It's a no cost option that can be switched on if the extra power is needed off public roads . Some owners found it useful occasionally.
Capture1.PNG
Not what I was expecting. I assumed it was just a power boost.