Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for a Folding E-Bicycle.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We are approaching that age when hitching up a tow bar bike rack and loading 2 adult bikes is becoming a bit of a hassle.
We have full sized bikes we use at home but are looking for a folding e-bike x 2 that we can pop in the van when going away for use at our destination , popping to the shops cycling on cycle ways or towpaths etc.
Weight is not a problem . Just need something we can pop in the van, unpack when we get there and use or chain upto the vehicle if not using.
So hybrid use and a 20 mile ( 40 Km ) range or so for occasional use.

Plenty of Chinese imports around, not all legal in the UK, but really want a UK seller rather than Amazon .

Any recommendations?

We are approaching that age when hitching up a tow bar bike rack and loading 2 adult bikes is becoming a bit of a hassle.
We have full sized bikes we use at home but are looking for a folding e-bike x 2 that we can pop in the van when going away for use at our destination , popping to the shops cycling on cycle ways or towpaths etc.
Weight is not a problem . Just need something we can pop in the van, unpack when we get there and use or chain upto the vehicle if not using.

Plenty of Chinese imports around, not all legal in the UK, but really want a UK seller rather than Amazon .

Any recommendations?
I was looking at folding ebikes for some time and was originally going to get a Tern S10 (cheaper models available). They are made in Taiwan and use top shelf components. I was really hoping they would develop a belt driven folder but so far that hasn't happened. If you are OK with greasy chains I would say they are currently the best option.
In the end I decided on a T-Line Brompton and have had no regrets.

Have a look at Decathlon, they sell a number of folding e-bikes.
Agreed Decathlon are such good value the alternatives look either crappy or exorbitant - but if you can get to a Brompton financially (and the residuals are as good as a California):

I would probably look at either Brompton's own electric version or, if I fancied the project, the ARCC conversion.

If genuine this looks cheap:

Last edited:

Any recommendations?
IMG20240415130649.jpg
MiRider Battery in the frame, seat removable to put in a bag (supplied) to transport. Rack and bags (removable) extra. UK made. Battery removable for charging or while in bike.

View attachment 122007
MiRider Battery in the frame, seat removable to put in a bag (supplied) to transport. Rack and bags (removable) extra. UK made. Battery removable for charging or while in bike.
Was just going to suggest these. Uk made, good range. Saw them at NEC campervan show.

Was just going to suggest these. Uk made, good range. Saw them at NEC campervan show.
I saw them in use at a campsite in London. The couple with them had spare batteries and went out all day doing about 40 miles while I was only doing 15 miles a day on my normal bike. Gave me an reason to buy one. I am very pleased with the bike but not sure about the bag on the rack as it is not as flexible as others I have which unfortunately do not fit on the rack.

I now get up hills really quickly and am more confident on roundabouts and roads as can keep up a good speed. Range depends on speed, gradient and weight of rider but has a display to monitor battery state.

A friend has a gocycle G4i, see Gocycle Webstore
I borrowed it for a day and really enjoyed it. The fold / unfold was quick and I particularly like the fully enclosed chain and it's easy to clean. My friend said he couldn't find a computer mount to fit a garmin or similar cycle computer and the gocycle app is a bit rubbish, which I would agree with. Having said that, I would get one if I could justify the cost, unfortunately I just can't at the moment.

Currently looking at an estrali e20.8 for the exact same reasons you've quoted. Quite fancy the 20" tyre over the 16". Need to demo one and also the cheaper e20.7.

We just bought two ADO Air 20 bikes - very good, but bigger & heavier than the MiRider mentioned above.

If money isn't an object then it has to be a Brompton, they fold smaller than any other fold-able bike available. They're exceptionally well built and anything else will be cheaper but ultimately be a compromise on quality, size and weight.

This isn't a market that I have looked into for my self however I used to work in the industry.

The whole market is flooded with upstarts and niche kickstarters. The market booms and contracts continually. The absolute most important thing with an ebike is after sales.

Firms go bust, they don't stock spares and you are out on your own. If I was buying an ebike. It would be Brompton or something with a Shimano or Bosch electric kit. When they work anything all BUT the budget end of the market is good. When things break you quickly find out the difference.

I have seen internal frame batteries from manufacturers go from ÂŁ200-400-600 then bust and irreplaceable rendering the whole bike time limited.

Last edited:
This isn't a market that I have looked into for my self however I used to work in the industry.

The whole market is flooded with upstarts and niche kickstarters. The market booms and contracts continually. The absolute most important thing with an ebike is after sales.

Firms go bust, they don't stock spares and you are out on your own. If I was buying an ebike. It would be Brompton or something with a Shimano or Bosch electric kit. When they work anything all BUT the budget end of the market is good. When things break you quickly find out the difference.

I have seen internal frame batteries go from manufacturers go from ÂŁ200-400-600 then bust and irreplaceable rendering the whole bike time limited.
One of the reasons I want a U.K. or EU maker.

If money isn't an object then it has to be a Brompton, they fold smaller than any other fold-able bike available. They're exceptionally well built and anything else will be cheaper but ultimately be a compromise on quality, size and weight.
I’ve ruled out the Brompton as it is overpriced for my intended use. I won’t be commuting or taking it on the bus or train. It’s just for use when using the Campervan. We have full size bicycles for use at home.

One of the reasons I want a U.K. or EU maker.

Should be a short list for you to look at then. Especially without Brompton on it.

Some of the best bikes are made in Taiwan and i'd have no qualms buying a good bike from an Asian factory. It's just the spares are alot more accessible if the same battery/motor/sensor is the same on the folding model as it is the hybrid/MTB/road bike.

I always liked the Bosch equipped bikes the best as Bosch were fantastic to deal with. If you get a fault on an electric part of an ebike the fault/RMA goes back to the electric kit manufacturer and not the bike manufacturer or seller.

Still looks cheap:

Still looks cheap:

It’s an auction with 20 hours left to run, so could end up not cheap, it’s also quotes cash on collection only but postage is listed at £16.94, with no returns accepted

Having owned dozens of Bromptons over the years, including 2 x Brompton electrics, I currently have an electric Cytronex converted 3 speed Brompton plus a manual 6 speed. They are excellent bikes, great back-up from dealers and fun to ride.

However for your use case I would go for a MiRider. British made, established brand and as far as I understand, reliable. Fold up pretty small too - smaller than any 20” wheel bike I know of - quite important in a Cali!

I would suggest you try out any foldable small wheel bike before commiting yourself. If you are used to full size bikes the feel of a small wheel bike can come as quite a surprise.

I would suggest you try out any foldable small wheel bike before commiting yourself. If you are used to full size bikes the feel of a small wheel bike can come as quite a surprise.
Used to have some Dahon folding bikes in the past . Very good. Fitted nicely in the back seats of the RX8.

I think you need first to decide if , using whilst camping, you need 20" wheels , bigger and wider, so that they are much better than 16" on gravel/uneven terrain, grass, depending where you camp.
The Brompton is wonderful, maybe regular Brompton+Switch kit instead of electric Brompton, but I see the 16" thin tyres as a limitation in a camping use, while in a city-commuting and pack small environment it would be the best.
The Vektron 20" have been around for ages and it shouldn't be a Problem with spares at all....

I think you need first to decide if , using whilst camping, you need 20" wheels , bigger and wider, so that they are much better than 16" on gravel/uneven terrain, grass, depending where you camp.
The Brompton is wonderful, maybe regular Brompton+Switch kit instead of electric Brompton, but I see the 16" thin tyres as a limitation in a camping use, while in a city-commuting and pack small environment it would be the best.
The Vektron 20" have been around for ages and it shouldn't be a Problem with spares at all....
Pardon me, I meant Tern bikes, of which the Vektron is a model. Bosch batteries and motor..

Should be a short list for you to look at then. Especially without Brompton on it.

Some of the best bikes are made in Taiwan and i'd have no qualms buying a good bike from an Asian factory. It's just the spares are alot more accessible if the same battery/motor/sensor is the same on the folding model as it is the hybrid/MTB/road bike.

I always liked the Bosch equipped bikes the best as Bosch were fantastic to deal with. If you get a fault on an electric part of an ebike the fault/RMA goes back to the electric kit manufacturer and not the bike manufacturer or seller.
Should have explained better, my fault. Not so much a UK /EU maker but distributer/dealership and warranty etc. I realise many are made in the far east but backup on some is very poor.

No need to down size to folding. There is a good selection of latest gen super light e-bikes out there now which means there is no need for the ridiculous over designed heavy tow bar rack nonsense, just use the stock Cali rack.

Mirider manufactured in Wigan, Lancs. You can visit the factory for demo, servicing and repairs.