Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear tailgate heavy!

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi I'm a fit guy but still find closing the tailgate on our 2019 Beach a struggle, my wife is unable to close it all together!
Is this normal and why this set up, is there a reason barn doors are not used on the California?
Many thanks
Paul

In the hot weather the gas strut pressure increases a little. With some extra weight in or on the tailgate it is easier and in fact in winter they sometimes hardly hold themselves up.put some stuff in with the chairs. I store my roof topper and screen cover in there. Also a bike rack helps too , although dont put one on just for that reason. The cali has uprated gas struts compared to a normal transporter I believe

Hi I'm a fit guy but still find closing the tailgate on our 2019 Beach a struggle, my wife is unable to close it all together!
Is this normal and why this set up, is there a reason barn doors are not used on the California?
Many thanks
Paul
Install a bike rack or stuff heavy items in between the chairs in the tailgate bag.

Alternatively you can downgrade the gas struts.

Yes, if you have no plans for a bike rack, then downgrade the gas struts. This is a simple job.

Try opening it empty. I thought it was going to catapult me across the campsite went I tried it.

Many thanks
Paul
Hot weather and it is very heavy, especially if left open for a while. As others have said, load stuff between the stowed chairs. For me it carries my hook-up cable and running shoes as well as screen cover.

Barn doors would be nice if you didn't want stowage space in the door for chairs and you were quite happy standing out in the wet with rain pouring down your neck whist searching around the boot looking for all those essentials that you put in a safe place :D

Last edited:
And rear door frames to look at through your rear view mirror, if you use it of course.

What gas struts do you have? 1250N or 920 (or 950?)?
The 1250N on each side is really needed when having the chairs in place.
With them out in sunny weather, it is nearly impossible to close the tailgate, but in winter, you have to push the lid up to the top to get it all open.
It is meant to be, so don't worry. And everything holds well, even after 10 years of use (and a lot longer, if you will ask T5 owners).

Mine is nearly impossible to close at the point where pulling down becomes a push forward in temperatures above 28C. So much so that my feet slide on gravel.
Think that the tailgate's related to Granville's cash register in 'Open all hours'

It was the exact opposite with us. When the van was new especially in the cold weather I just couldn’t get the rear door to stay up. I put it down to the fact that we had the 2 sides for our Awning were stored in the chairs. It was better in the warm weather but not brilliant. Anyway we had to take the van back to the dealer to have the leisure batteries replaced and while that was being done the door came down and hit the guy that was replacing the batteries on the head. VW then replaced the 2 struts as they said they were faulty. Needles to say the door stays up now no problem.....

My tailgate stays open with two bikes on the rack and the chairs stored, so for me it’s a good design.
Yes, I was amazed to find it still holds it all up even after 10 years use. Still I do get my wife to put a hand on it just in case it decides to come down while I’m looking in the back!!

Many thanks
Paul
Try this as a suggestion...
Instead of getting hold of the rear door directly behind it - in line with the VW roundel - stand to one side and put your hand(s) on the side lip of the door where the crease is about 18" above the lowest door lip and then pull down and past the mid point and then you can finish the closure one handed on the main part of the door.
I have used this method all the time since I founld the "stand directly behind the door" method was too awkward and put a lot of srain on my back.
My wife has found she is perfectly able to close the door this way whereas the other method was nearly impossible for her.
Hope this helps :)

I had the same issue with my ‘68 Beach. I fitted the VW bike rack a month ago, which fixed the issue completely. As others have suggested, the struts are evidently designed to support the weight of the door plus bike rack. Without the rack it feels like you’re fighting the door shut!

I had the same issue with my ‘68 Beach. I fitted the VW bike rack a month ago, which fixed the issue completely. As others have suggested, the struts are evidently designed to support the weight of the door plus bike rack. Without the rack it feels like you’re fighting the door shut!
Any tips for closing the tailgate without chairs in? I just cant do it alone. And even 2 of us oldies struggle a fair bit.
I don't suppose there is any option for having it motorised?

Any tips for closing the tailgate without chairs in? I just cant do it alone. And even 2 of us oldies struggle a fair bit.
I don't suppose there is any option for having it motorised?
Surprising what's out there, looks like lifter can be fitted to either side.

Wow. Thanks. Will enquire. Wonder if it works with the ocean - all that bulk and weight in the chair storage? Has anyone fitted this kind of thing on cali ocean?

I would guess you could replace the struts with standard vw transporter struts, which are not designed for the additional bike rack weight (assuming you don’t intend to fit the bike rack).

Very same
Many thanks
Paul
It’s the very same for us in our Cali Ocean 6.1 , particularly without the chairs in. Impossible to pull down and close, any advice is appreciated.

Very same

It’s the very same for us in our Cali Ocean 6.1 , particularly without the chairs in. Impossible to pull down and close, any advice is appreciated.
Just swap the gas struts for standard vw transporter ones, I need to go the other way as can shut my joker tailgate with one finger!
No good when I add my rack box setup.

Closing is a problem especially as the temperature rises. A case of pull down as far as possible then hold whilst you get your body/arms repositioned to push it closed, all without losing your foothold.

If pockets are deep there is a solution

Possible alternative source of a solution

I've now solved the problem, again expensive solution!
Purchased a Hymer Grand Canyon S.
Just got back from South of France in it, absolutely brilliant!