Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear bench seatbelts seem twisted

Gazbibelots1860

Gazbibelots1860

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We have a 2011 T5. Something doesn’t seem right with both seat belts, we have kids car seats and when I belt them in I can never seem to do it without there being a twist in the belt (which isn’t advised).

I’ve tried turning the buckle round but that only seems to twist it more, I’ve followed the belt to the. Anchor point and it seems to not be twisted there. I can only think this is how they’re installed. Is this normal on all calis? When the belts are rested on the seats in their retracted positions they don’t sit flat on the seat, the ones in my car aren’t like this.

Thanks!

I had the same issue on mine. VW resolved it along with some other warranty work a few years ago, but now it’s twisted again. No idea how it happens, but no it’s not normal. They should sit flat against the seat.

We have a 2011 T5. Something doesn’t seem right with both seat belts, we have kids car seats and when I belt them in I can never seem to do it without there being a twist in the belt (which isn’t advised).

I’ve tried turning the buckle round but that only seems to twist it more, I’ve followed the belt to the. Anchor point and it seems to not be twisted there. I can only think this is how they’re installed. Is this normal on all calis? When the belts are rested on the seats in their retracted positions they don’t sit flat on the seat, the ones in my car aren’t like this.

Thanks!
I had the same issue on mine. VW resolved it along with some other warranty work a few years ago, but now it’s twisted again. No idea how it happens, but no it’s not normal. They should sit flat against the seat.
Probably the seat belt has been twisted in the spring loaded canister on the back of the seat.

Plug the affected seat belt clasp in. make sure the lap portion is correctly positioned. Gently pull out the upper portion of the seat belt to its maximum. Untwist it and then gently allow it to rewind whilst making sure it remains untwisted as it rewinds. Maybe easier with 2 people, one in the boot making sure the belt rewinds properly into the canister.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 22.51.06.jpg

It’s also possible for them to get twisted in the guides at the top of the seat, especially when setting up the bed. Check there first.

Probably the seat belt has been twisted in the spring loaded canister on the back of the seat.

Plug the affected seat belt clasp in. make sure the lap portion is correctly positioned. Gently pull out the upper portion of the seat belt to its maximum. Untwist it and then gently allow it to rewind whilst making sure it remains untwisted as it rewinds. Maybe easier with 2 people, one in the boot making sure the belt rewinds properly into the canister.

View attachment 120848
Thanks @WelshGas thats really helpful. I will give it a go.

This is great thanks all for this, going to go and check this morning!

View attachment 120848
Hi, @WelshGas - Cani just check do I have to take the canister off/apart to do this?

Hi, @WelshGas - Cani just check do I have to take the canister off/apart to do this?
No. The belt probably got twisted going into the canister. Just pull the belt right out. Make sure it is untwisted and then allow it to return to the canister.

Ok, I pulled the belt out as far as it comes and it doesn’t come out twisted

@WelshGas - this tip is magic, thanks, it was so easy I had to check that I’d actually don’t it properly!

Back