Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Range Rover Wheels - Tips on fitting.

comfortz

comfortz

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Hi Everyone, I just though I’d add my experience of upgrading the wheels on the Cali to Range Rover (RR) wheels (20”). The reason I’m writing this is post is after reading many threads on other forums the matter of alloys wheels seems quite a mine field! And little confusing to say the least.

This is my own view of why I went down this route but I appreciate there’s a massive choice out there, everyone has a different view and a different set of needs-in terms of how they use their California.

Personally I like to have something that looks a little different so the wheels were a good opportunity to put my own stamp on the Cali. My three main considerations were Cost, Style & Safety. I ruled out in my own mind aftermarket wheels pretty quickly as I wasn’t convinced on some of the manufactures claims or lack of them on weight ratings - upon asking the question. So I was really torn between the matt black 18” VW sportline alloys or the 20” RR alloys. The VW ones obviously fit no problem are load rated etc – job done. But I knew at the back of my mind I’d always be thinking "I wish I’d of gone 20’s"

So I bit the bullet and delved into the Range Rover (RR) option a little further. Most recommendations are that with the RR wheels the tyre option should be 275/35/20 and these apparently don’t catch but you still need to have RR/VW special bolts and spigot rings fitted, as the center bores are different. I think the 275/35/20 is the option that is preferred when lowering the bus quite a bit – but I don’t really plan on lowering mine too much - if at all - to be honest.

The other option is to have 275/40/20 tires but for these not to rub on full lock you need to have 10mm spacers fitted. I’d heard a lot of comments about how hard the ride would be with 20” wheels on so I wanted the biggest profile Tyre I could get away without any catching. So this is the option I went for, a little more expensive but it gave the results I was after.

So in summary,

I’m very happy with the look, the RR wheels are load rated (its clearly stamped on the back) but it cost a little more than expected in getting the good quality spacers, center bore adapters and longer wheel bolts and of course locking wheel buts. I’m more than happy with the ride, its marginally harder than before but I cant tell a huge difference. I was expecting it to be horrendous but that's not the case.

Here’s a couple of pictures of the spaces and bolts and final results. I’m booked in for a for wheel alignment check just to ensure everything’s ok.

Before
View media item 714

After
View media item 711
10mm spacers
View media item 713
RR to VW bolts
View media item 712

Top work Nick your Cali looks ace :thumb

Didn't know it's possible to install RR wheels. Probably I'll change my 17" steels with other (also 17" steels) more off-road. Maybe I could get more options looking for some RR ones.

Be careful if your vehicle is still under warranty, unless the replacement wheels are approved by VW they could cause problems.

Mines an 06 so no worries there! But good point! Just had the front whishbone bushes replaced before the wheels were fitted as they were a little tired (or tyred -:D sorry couldn't resist!)

Just part way through retrimming the seats now :headbang trying to get things completed whilst we're quiet!

What will you be using for a spare. Spare wheel/tyre or Slime Kit?

What will you be using for a spare. Spare wheel/tyre or Slime Kit?
I'm sure you could just use the standard spare as a get you home tyre, spacesaver wheels are different widths etc to normal wheels /tyres.

I have the steel spare and kept a set of old wheel bolts. but I'll have to get a tape measure out to see if I can fit a larger spare under there.

Sorry Kave I've not been on the forum for a couple of weeks - they're genuine RR wheel - refurbished though not brand new. I'm not convinced on some of the aftermarket wheels to be honest!

Do you know if they have they effected economy at all? The reason I ask is that a friend has RR wheels on his T5 and they are really wide tyres. He is pondering removing them in the belief they are impacting his MPG. Any info might help his decision. :)

They are quite a bit wider yes but I haven't noticed a difference on the economy - I did 400 miles over The new year and didn't really tell a difference to be honest. Mind you with the van full of camping gear, 3 passengers, fuel and water tanks full - not sure if I'd notice :)

I've not worked out the MPG on mine but I swapped from using the Mazda bongo as a daily driver which was averaging 20 mpg - so the Cali feels very frugal on fuel in comparison!

Wheel spacers and long wheel nuts. Nice!!

Can you send me where to get these parts and the cost? I have found some used in sweden and I am considering buying them. Range rover is not as common in sweden as in the uk.

I'm going from 18" to 20" but not only going for a wheel (and tyre) with correct loading for a California but one with correct PCD Offset so no need for special spacers, spigots or whatever to get them to fit. Calibre Exile's are the name and I'll pop up my thoughts and pics once they are on. Should be in next day or two as they are enroute to me now from supplier.

Be careful if your vehicle is still under warranty, unless the replacement wheels are approved by VW they could cause problems.
There's also the insurance company side of things, initially they were funny about changing from summer to winter wheels/tyres; this is a whole new ball game. Did your premium go up?.

There's also the insurance company side of things, initially they were funny about changing from summer to winter wheels/tyres; this is a whole new ball game. Did your premium go up?.
No idea, sorry. Some companies will accept it some will with a premium increase and others refuse. I'm happy with 17" VW alloys. I find the ride very acceptable. Having had a RX8 with large wheels and slim tyres the road holding was good on good roads but anything else, where you were not travelling at high speed, was like driving on solid tyres. Very uncomfortable.

You could always tell the insurance co that you've increased the loading on the wheel studs by virtue of fitting spacers ( without any corresponding increase in collective stud cross section).

I'm sure they would then be justified in doubling your premium.

I'm going from 18" to 20" but not only going for a wheel (and tyre) with correct loading for a California but one with correct PCD Offset so no need for special spacers, spigots or whatever to get them to fit. Calibre Exile's are the name and I'll pop up my thoughts and pics once they are on. Should be in next day or two as they are enroute to me now from supplier.
So they are on. Cali is lowered 30mm on correct California VW springs and it runs and rides just fine. Well happy!!
1f7ec650e2c24a21390b0dfad006e73a.jpg
890c933f96e1848d53386a8826bffe9d.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Looks good! What profile tyre are you running?mine are 45's and the ride is fine...not too hard at all :)

Looks good! What profile tyre are you running?mine are 45's and the ride is fine...not too hard at all :)

Well i wanted 45's but was advised against it for fear of tyre contact / rubbing on full lock especially as i have had it lowered slightly. I think i had an over cautious supplier as he said go with the 255/35 profile instead. I would have preferred the 45's which would have given me more piece of mind should i be negotiating curbs or potholes but alas i took his advise and have these now, it rides fine and cornering is feel more precise.
I am curious though to know what psi your running your tyres at please? Currently i have 44 in the fronts and 40 in the rear set.

Back