Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Quickest drive away awning to erect

F

Foley100

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hey all,

I appreciate this topic has been flogged to death but due to the limited search functionality on this site, I thought I’d bring it up again ahead of the summer :D

I’m due to get my beach camper in a couple of months and I’m very keen to have expanded space for my small family straightaway.

I’m also been known on occasion to be pretty lazy and would rather not spend most of the day setting things up. Especially when the weather conditions turn…Are there any air awnings that you’d recommend for quality as well as speed for set up? It would be needed for 3 people and a dog. I know there are quite a few options out there but can’t see many reviews.

Cheers In advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all,

I appreciate this topic has been flogged to death but due to the limited search functionality on this site, I thought I’d bring it up again ahead of the summer :D

I’m due to get my beach camper in a couple of months and I’m very keen to have expanded space for my small family straightaway.

I’m also been known on occasion to be pretty lazy and would rather not spend most of the day setting things up. Especially when the weather conditions turn…Are there any air awnings that you’d recommend for quality as well as speed for set up? It would be needed for 3 people and a dog. I know there are quite a few options out there but can’t see many reviews.

Cheers In advance

Check out the Cinch Hub Pop-up Tent, you can get a Campervan connector but we don't bother, just tuck the entrance under the awning, makes for easy drive off & return. Big enough for 3 & dog.

We’ve just bought a Berghaus air shelter. Very quick to erect and put away. Not used it in anger yet though.

I've got one of these, full up in just over 5 minutes and down just as quickly

Not personal experience but the Isabella x tension looks really quick to put up and take down.

I’m thinking about a van go Hex / Hex Pro (2024 model) but a little on the expensive side.

We have a Vango Palm (air beam) quite small, two of us and large dog. Plenty room for table , chairs and dog bed on wet days.
Takes us about 20 minutes to erect and quicker to dismantle.

IMG_5204.jpeg

Cheers folks, this is great food for thought. Was considering this one initially https://www.attwoolls.co.uk/kampa-cross-air-vw-awning but will likely reconsider things.

We have a cross-air. It's a big item but simple to put up. Some fiddling around needed to get it ideally located alongside the van. I've put it up myself before - but it's easier with some help. Survived huge downpours and quite strong winds. If you want a separate sleeping zone you will need to look at something else.

IMG_0621.JPG

We have a cross-air. It's a big item but simple to put up. Some fiddling around needed to get it ideally located alongside the van. I've put it up myself before - but it's easier with some help. Survived huge downpours and quite strong winds. If you want a separate sleeping zone you will need to look at something else.

View attachment 122047

Cheers! Great to get a review from a current owner. Wouldn’t fancy something that takes up the whole boot to be fair. I’ll do a bit more digging and see how I get on.

I think I might purchase a cross air, I have a cotton touring air, it’s great for longer trips but does weight a lot, I was assuming eh cross air packs down smaller and is lighter to handle both packed and unpacked, I like that the cross air you can zip out all the sides to make it more like a gazebo

We used this. Like a cinch but bigger. I can pitch/put away by my self in under 10 mins.

I’m going to go for this. Seems to be a good starting point for the family. How did you find it got on in the rain or on windy days? It says it’s been stress tested but then I appreciate it’s probably better designed for warmer weather.

I often end up setting up a Kampa trip air by myself as family wander off to the playground/toilets/reception, so how many people needed to do it is definitely a factor.

I suspect it very much depends on how carefully you've packed it away after the previous use. Think of it like packing a parachute. We've used Vango Kela/Attar/Galli over the years & they're all quite quick if you pack them carefully to open out exactly in line with where you want them & peg out. I think '10 minutes' is a bit of a myth with the hand pump, but maybe 20 minutes is realistic if it's not too windy & you don't need to do much adjustment. Usuing footprints / groundsheets help. We've always used the supplied pumps, but if you don't mind the extra space/noise/expense an electric pump would speed things up.

I’m going to go for this. Seems to be a good starting point for the family. How did you find it got on in the rain or on windy days? It says it’s been stress tested but then I appreciate it’s probably better designed for warmer weather.

I've had no issues, rain definitely is kept out without further proofing. You can tell the wind is hitting it because it's quite flat sided. It also has a relatively low number of pegs relative to it's size. 4 corners. 4 rops and elastics in the middle of each panel. It's a very versatile space and very little fuss. The sides do flap a bit in the wind because of the size of them which is a consideration.

I use peggy pegs for my own piece of mind and they seem so solid in the ground I'd be surprised if they would pull out in any kind of weather that I would want to camp in.

When camping we tend to use it in the morning for kids breakfast and as a base for cooking in the evening. In the day it's mostly just to store stuff while we leave site etc.

For the price they aren't bad at all. I'm 6ft and can stand up in it. It also can be pitched in the garden and makes sense without a van. However there is no van attachment available. I don't mind as like the versatility of just pulling up and leaving. We have extended the awning out to reach the tent in the past.

If the budget was available the Vango airhub looks good. I pitched near one the other day and that did look like it would be sturdier in high winds due to slightly softer angles and more peg points. I imagine at the expense of taking a bit longer to set up. I wouldn't swap what I have untill it failed but if I did that's probably what I would upgrade to.

https://www.outdooraction.co.uk/van..._term=4575686358905726&utm_content=All Brands

I have a Vango Tolga but only have set it up once to try (went reasonably well).

As for speed: this Youtube-film convinced (a.o.) to buy it:

Quickest of all is no awning (and camp somewhere warm)!

I have a Vango Tolga but only have set it up once to try (went reasonably well).

As for speed: this Youtube-film convinced (a.o.) to buy it:
I have the Vengo VW one with air tubes which I assumed would be easy after seeing the you -tube. In reality I can just do it but very difficult as I am short , is better if there are 2 people. Would not put up on a windy day. Also you need to walk on it to push out the air to have any chance of folding it. I can not fold it and get it back into the bag by myself. It is heavy, I assumed that it was possible to remove the walls but they only fold so not possible to reduce the weight. I always have to position the van next to the folded one then carefully lift it into the van where it goes where it likes not the space it was in when bagged.

NIce to use and also fits my caravan but not when I am alone.

I suspect it very much depends on how carefully you've packed it away after the previous use. Think of it like packing a parachute. We've used Vango Kela/Attar/Galli over the years & they're all quite quick if you pack them carefully to open out exactly in line with where you want them & peg out. I think '10 minutes' is a bit of a myth with the hand pump, but maybe 20 minutes is realistic if it's not too windy & you don't need to do much adjustment. Usuing footprints / groundsheets help. We've always used the supplied pumps, but if you don't mind the extra space/noise/expense an electric pump would speed things up.
Had to get an electric pump and yes I can not repack it, mine goes home where my husband then repacks it. Mine is a vengo.

Sorry, should have mentioned when recommending a Cinch Hub earlier in thread, we have, previously had an Air-Beam Awning (Outdoor Revolution) it was very good, however for lazy sods like us a PITA to put up & take down, We soon realised the space it took up in the van (& the garage at home) was way too much & also heavy to lift back & forwards. So, additional benefit of the Cinch Hub is space saving & light weight. The carry bag has shoulder straps so you can carry it like a back pack, makes a great base for spending a day on the beach. Like you, we all seek to accessorize our vans for maximum benefit, and usually the first thing people buy is an awning, including us. Just look at the amount of used ones which come up for sale on this site. I bet the majority are jettisoned due to faff & space issues. (PS- I have no affiliation to Cinch whatsoever)

The good thing about the Cinch for us is the way it folds flat - so easy to put away. If you don’t want to put it up for any reason it’s easy to pop under the van or in the boot or on the upper bed (roof up obviously!) whereas most awnings take up much more space.

Back