Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pulled the trigger on my 6.1 Ocean 4motion

What are the first accessories I should get?

• Shoerack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bikerack

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Packing Cubes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Wind screen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
Genio works brilliant I bought one as have 2 Giant electric bikes and that hold both very very secure on towbar on my previous T5 conversion. I'd had the Strada but it wouldn't hold 2 lecci bikes. Genio is soooo easy to fit and when not in use folds to suitcase size. My bikes are 23.5kg each and no movement at 80 mph. Can't wait to try it on our new Cali which has factory fitted removable tow bar.
I have a factory fitted (removable) towbar, too. Let's see how it goes.

I’m moving from an I-Pace to a 4Motion too. I didn’t think I’d go back to diesel after having a PHEV then a BEV, but the ‘ID Buzz California’ is going to be a few years away and probably quite small, so I’ll use my bike and recycle more to ease my conscience :)
No way? What are the odds? Same here. I was quite disappointed by the id buzz. And the T7 Calif on PHEV will be most likely be overpriced in the Netherlands, so just decided to go for the last diesel then. (Our second will be a convertible - so my home charger will probably not be used for the next few years...)

I've actually just ordered an Atera Genio Pro tow bar carrier
I love mine. Once you've set up the wires to allow it to fold fully back 90 degrees (and allow access to the tailgate, its a cinch to fit. I got the extra rack to hold a third bike too, which works well. Great bit of kit. Just beware reversing as it obscures the camera, and beware it switches the rear radar off...

Which windscreen would you recommend?
Presume you mean windscreen cover? Your California definitely should have come complete with a windscreen!
Rainbow are great. Just wish I hadn't jumped in and bought a second hand one that doesn't have the 'screen dropdown' ability...

I love mine. Once you've set up the wires to allow it to fold fully back 90 degrees (and allow access to the tailgate, its a cinch to fit. I got the extra rack to hold a third bike too, which works well. Great bit of kit. Just beware reversing as it obscures the camera, and beware it switches the rear radar off...
Love ours - only downside is when folded down with 2 electric bikes on you you need strength to lift it back up and click into place - both bikes being 23.5 it's quite a heave but better than off and on with bikes!!!!

Love ours - only downside is when folded down with 2 electric bikes on you you need strength to lift it back up and click into place - both bikes being 23.5 it's quite a heave but better than off and on with bikes!!!!
Might want to double check the safety side of things on that. At that weight, your towbar would very likely be over it's limit.

Might want to double check the safety side of things on that. At that weight, your towbar would very likely be over it's limit.
I agree, but you can get e-bike specific carriers that have an increased weight limit. Although, two 23.5kg bikes would be approaching the limit of an e-bike one!!

Nope - It's perfectly ok and well within tow bar limits. Trust me I researched it first to find the perfect carrirer. It is specifically designed for 2 e-bikes up to 30 kg each rail with max load of 60 kg. The rails are spaced further apart to also take account of the bikes being wider. Carrier weighs 21.4 kg so total max loading on tow bar would be 81.4 kg. We're 68.4 kg (23.5kg x 2 plus carrier) so well within the 100 kg tow bar capacity. It's even within the tow bar capacity for our Golf est at 75 kg. It's really good and so quick to fit - simply lay onto tow bar, fold out the bike rails and number plate; square up and push down on locking bar till clicks and your done - no scary movement eirher when driving along on rogh roads. Just plug in and fit bikes. I can now do all of this in about 15 mins. Beauty is carrier folds up to suit case size when not in use.

Nope - It's perfectly ok and well within tow bar limits. Trust me I researched it first to find the perfect carrirer. It is specifically designed for 2 e-bikes up to 30 kg each rail with max load of 60 kg. The rails are spaced further apart to also take account of the bikes being wider. Carrier weighs 21.4 kg so total max loading on tow bar would be 81.4 kg. We're 68.4 kg (23.5kg x 2 plus carrier) so well within the 100 kg tow bar capacity. It's even within the tow bar capacity for our Golf est at 75 kg. It's really good and so quick to fit - simply lay onto tow bar, fold out the bike rails and number plate; square up and push down on locking bar till clicks and your done - no scary movement eirher when driving along on rogh roads. Just plug in and fit bikes. I can now do all of this in about 15 mins. Beauty is carrier folds up to suit case size when not in use.

I think e-bikes are coming for us in the not too distant.
Is there a way of charging the bikes from the van? I presume you can’t get a feed from the towbar connection…

CAn't charge from van unfortunately; well you can't our Giant bikes. However when on a site we can take batteries out and charge off bike through the 3 pin socket. Mind you our bikes have quite a range of somewhere around 120 miles in lowest eco mode; even in mid range Active the range is around 75 miles so I'm not too worried - we have 2 of these and they are superb

After renting various campers (from T2B to Integrals), and spending lots of time camping in tents over the years, I decided to replace my Daily Jaguar iPace for a Cali.
(And switching back from EV to Diesel... I know). Decided to go for the 4Motion because I got used to it in the jag and a bit of #Yolo. Can't wait for the first trip(s) (two adults, two kids) and figuring out how to optimize with accessories for max family fun?

View attachment 123359
Best thing you will do for sure !! I traded my Range Rover sport in for the Cali , only slight difference is the comfort of the seats! I’m now looking to upgrade them , the standard seats a a bit flat , also had some issues with the electric roof but was resolved by VW

comfort of the seats! I’m now looking to upgrade them
I’d be interested to hear what you go for. I find the seats ok, but the Mrs is a little short. She uses a foam wedge but an upgrade would be interesting.
Looking forward to seeing the T7 seats

CAn't charge from van unfortunately; well you can't our Giant bikes. However when on a site we can take batteries out and charge off bike through the 3 pin socket. Mind you our bikes have quite a range of somewhere around 120 miles in lowest eco mode; even in mid range Active the range is around 75 miles so I'm not too worried - we have 2 of these and they are superb
Wow! I can’t believe how expensive bikes are nowadays! 10 years ago I had a custom designed and built titanium audax bike including full ergo bike-fit for less than £3k!

Best thing you will do for sure !! I traded my Range Rover sport in for the Cali , only slight difference is the comfort of the seats! I’m now looking to upgrade them , the standard seats a a bit flat , also had some issues with the electric roof but was resolved by VW
Seats are awful aren’t they!
I had a great chat with
Unfortunately he has wound up the business as people do not want to pay to have a quality product.
He reckons the MAN / Crafter MY20 onwards seats might fit onto the transporter base.
The MAN seat in a Sven Hedin is sublime.
Height adjustable, squab seat base adjustment.
4 way lumbar.

I had a great chat with
Unfortunately he has wound up the business as people do not want to pay to have a quality product.
He reckons the MAN / Crafter MY20 onwards seats might fit onto the transporter base.
4 way lumbar.
Sounds like you are getting the itch for a bigger van Bill :)

I had a great chat with
4 way lumbar.

Did I read somewhere that Audi RS seats will fit in the Transporter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are getting the itch for a bigger van Bill :)
Think it’s on the cards, spoke with Ade from Mid England retrims and he said he went with a bigger 6m Fiat, in 2020, after having a T4 for 10 years. Said he loves it, being able to stand up without putting the roof up. Uses it as a daily, has no issues with parking it. I’m writing up the proposal to get the agreement from the project manager, aka other half ;)

Think it’s on the cards, spoke with Ade from Mid England retrims and he said he went with a bigger 6m Fiat, in 2020, after having a T4 for 10 years. Said he loves it, being able to stand up without putting the roof up. Uses it as a daily, has no issues with parking it. I’m writing up the proposal to get the agreement from the project manager, aka other half ;)
I think being able to stand up properly without putting the roof up makes the biggest difference!
Would you be looking at a self-build, converted or factory build?

I think being able to stand up properly without putting the roof up makes the biggest difference!
Would you be looking at a self-build, converted or factory build?
The Sven Hedin ticks most of my box’s.
I can then add solar, laser lamps, might go for the eco flow air con unit.
With the added EF Delta add on battery.

Wow! I can’t believe how expensive bikes are nowadays! 10 years ago I had a custom designed and built titanium audax bike including full ergo bike-fit for less than £3k!
We managed a special deal that Giant had on last Sept and got them for £2399 each! They really are worth it especially as my wife has an iffy hip which meant she couldn't pedal hard on her lightweight MTB

Back