Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pulled the trigger on my 6.1 Ocean 4motion

What are the first accessories I should get?

• Shoerack

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bikerack

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Packing Cubes

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Wind screen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
L

Larzzzzzz

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
After renting various campers (from T2B to Integrals), and spending lots of time camping in tents over the years, I decided to replace my Daily Jaguar iPace for a Cali.
(And switching back from EV to Diesel... I know). Decided to go for the 4Motion because I got used to it in the jag and a bit of #Yolo. Can't wait for the first trip(s) (two adults, two kids) and figuring out how to optimize with accessories for max family fun?

Afbeelding 29.jpg

Nice one, looks good!

With regards to your poll, it looks like your van came with a windscreen so I've gone bike rack, as that's looking likely to be my next purchase too (though my wife is very keen to get packing cubes for some reason) :D

Not very exciting but a decent set of seats covers provide peace of mind, especially if you have the lighter fabric. Allow time to fit.

Nice one, looks good!

With regards to your poll, it looks like your van came with a windscreen so I've gone bike rack, as that's looking likely to be my next purchase too (though my wife is very keen to get packing cubes for some reason) :D
In fact, i negotiated a backdoor bike rack. But now realize it might add too much to the height? Should I go for the towbar version?

Which wind screen would you recommend? (and then one or both sides?)

In fact, i negotiated a backdoor bike rack. But now realize it might add too much to the height? Should I go for the towbar version?

I've actually just ordered an Atera Genio Pro tow bar carrier for that reason and also I want to be able to access the boot without taking it all off. Also I feel tow bar ones may be a bit more secure but that might be a misconception, I haven't used a rear (non-tow bar) carrier for years, only roof mounted on my recent vehicles.

That said if I had got a good deal on a tailgate rack I would probably use that at least for the time being, as they are very expensive!

The extra height won't be a problem as long as you remember it is on there, and I speak from bitter (not to mention expensive and quite embarrassing) experience :D

Won’t be able to access tailgate and boot without unloading bikes.

Voted bike rack, but also other for:
Seat covers
Wardrobe shelves
Kitchen drawers

+ Loo tent and portapotti

Welcome!

Oooh family Cali *wanders in with a cocky swagger*.

We've had ours for four years now, and are still learning - so in no way is this 'expert' advice. Equally, we all have different use cases, and with the kids constantly growing up, it constantly changes year on year (we started with a 1 and a bit year old, and now we have a 5 and a bit and 3 and a bit year old).

First rule of thumb is find a use case for an accessory and THEN buy it - otherwise you'll end up with tonnes of accessories that all do things slightly differently/better than the other, and end up juggling both or more.

For us, we're really keen on space utilisation but wouldn't recommend any of our tried/tested upgrades to a brand new owner. The ones I can suggest though are a bit more mandatory:
1. Some form of boxes for the cupboards. They just need to fit into the cupboard space so you can pull things out in one go to rummage around. Expensive upgrades exist (50Nord), but certainly not something to splash on before you know you want or need to.
2. Carpet. My word, this was a gamechanger for us. Take a look on the club store for Brandrup carpet (German made). It turns the entire living area (and boot for that matter) into a far more livable area. The same goes for the front, albeit you can use cheap/nasty ones for there given the pummelling it gets. Our T6 has a light beige carpet which was a terrible choice for a camping leisure vehicle.
3. Seat Covers. On the same vein as the terribly coloured driver cabin floor, so too are the chairs. They all stain incredibly easily and as ironic as it is, to protect them they need to be covered. With kiddos, the chairs are constantly climbed on (mine wander over them to get into their car seats for example). I took them off the other day for a gander, and they're still immaculate underneath. VW do some 'cheapo' ones that we're still using. More expensive ones exist like Brandrup Second Skin, etc
4. Windscreen Wrap - the blinds in the Cali do a good enough job, but on a campsite you might want a full windscreen wrap - it can keep the heat out better, and additionally is far more private (the built in ones still have the odd peep hole.
5. Packing Cubes - a good shout, but dont let it fool you into overpacking. If you have the wardrobe filled to the top with cubes (often happens with a family, trust us :D), then it all needs to come out to get to that one at the bottom and all that faff can really kill the fun.

Onto your specific ones:
1. Bikerack - we run both a tailgate one and a towbar one. Our reasoning was simple; We use the tailgate for bikes, and the towbar for a storage box. If you have a tailgate rack and dont have a towbar, it's probably worth off skipping the towbar for now. They're expensive to fit aftermarket and the only downsides are that you need to pick it up higher to load on, that they sit proud of the roof, and you cant open the tailgate with them on.
2. Shoerack - dont bother. Those corner ones are so small that they barely hold two peoples shoes, let alone four, and they take up valuable space. You'll quickly find you want every nook and cranny for storage and shoes can live in a variety of different places on the floor.
3. Windscreen - If you do, dont spend alot. This is one of those 'too many accessories' bits. When we go away, we almost always take either a pop up tent (2-3 day trips) for car seats, or a full blown drive away awning (4+). The awning is a godsend on space - but it's just more faffy. But a wind break on the awning would be pointless with a full drive away awning. It depends on whether you're doing short trips or long trips I guess.

Hope some of these help.

Welcome!

We've had ours for four years now, and are still learning - so in no way is this 'expert' advice. Equally, we all have different use cases, and with the kids constantly growing up, it constantly changes year on year (we started with a 1 and a bit year old, and now we have a 5 and a bit and 3 and a bit year old).

First rule of thumb is find a use case for an accessory and THEN buy it - otherwise you'll end up with tonnes of accessories that all do things slightly differently/better than the other, and end up juggling both or more.

For us, we're really keen on space utilisation but wouldn't recommend any of our tried/tested upgrades to a brand new owner. The ones I can suggest though are a bit more mandatory:
1. Some form of boxes for the cupboards. They just need to fit into the cupboard space so you can pull things out in one go to rummage around. Expensive upgrades exist (50Nord), but certainly not something to splash on before you know you want or need to.
2. Carpet. My word, this was a gamechanger for us. Take a look on the club store for Brandrup carpet (German made). It turns the entire living area (and boot for that matter) into a far more livable area. The same goes for the front, albeit you can use cheap/nasty ones for there given the pummelling it gets. Our T6 has a light beige carpet which was a terrible choice for a camping leisure vehicle.
3. Seat Covers. On the same vein as the terribly coloured driver cabin floor, so too are the chairs. They all stain incredibly easily and as ironic as it is, to protect them they need to be covered. With kiddos, the chairs are constantly climbed on (mine wander over them to get into their car seats for example). I took them off the other day for a gander, and they're still immaculate underneath. VW do some 'cheapo' ones that we're still using. More expensive ones exist like Brandrup Second Skin, etc
4. Windscreen Wrap - the blinds in the Cali do a good enough job, but on a campsite you might want a full windscreen wrap - it can keep the heat out better, and additionally is far more private (the built in ones still have the odd peep hole.
5. Packing Cubes - a good shout, but dont let it fool you into overpacking. If you have the wardrobe filled to the top with cubes (often happens with a family, trust us :D), then it all needs to come out to get to that one at the bottom and all that faff can really kill the fun.

Onto your specific ones:
1. Bikerack - we run both a tailgate one and a towbar one. Our reasoning was simple; We use the tailgate for bikes, and the towbar for a storage box. If you have a tailgate rack and dont have a towbar, it's probably worth off skipping the towbar for now. They're expensive to fit aftermarket and the only downsides are that you need to pick it up higher to load on, that they sit proud of the roof, and you cant open the tailgate with them on.
2. Shoerack - dont bother. Those corner ones are so small that they barely hold two peoples shoes, let alone four, and they take up valuable space. You'll quickly find you want every nook and cranny for storage and shoes can live in a variety of different places on the floor.
3. Windscreen - If you do, dont spend alot. This is one of those 'too many accessories' bits. When we go away, we almost always take either a pop up tent (2-3 day trips) for car seats, or a full blown drive away awning (4+). The awning is a godsend on space - but it's just more faffy. But a wind break on the awning would be pointless with a full drive away awning. It depends on whether you're doing short trips or long trips I guess.

Hope some of these help.
Allow me a bit of a reposte. Packing cubes. Arranging them vertically rather than stacking them one on top of the other makes extraction far easier especially if you colour coordinate.
Shoe box. Disagree the stacking of storage spaces makes far better use of the back of the step. It can accommodate (neatly) a pair of shoes, the crocs and the pee bottle. Adding the electrical option adds more power points in the leisure area. Never a bad thing.
Stock blind is an expensive failure waiting to happen. Doesn’t even work well with light leakage and virtually zero thermal benefits.

Some good advice from @CamperFam with his ‘cocky swagger’ ;)

I would suggest the first rule of thumb is to use items you already have before buying anything. Obviously that doesn’t work for everything but, for cooking equipment, bedding etc, for example, use what you have and then decide what you want to do.
And take your time :)

Oh there is one must have of course.. that sandwich toaster thingy that doubles up as a couple of frying pans… I forget the name but I’m sure someone will pop along soon and mention it :cool:

Some good advice from @CamperFam with his ‘cocky swagger’ ;)

I would suggest the first rule of thumb is to use items you already have before buying anything. Obviously that doesn’t work for everything but, for cooking equipment, bedding etc, for example, use what you have and then decide what you want to do.
And take your time :)

Oh there is one must have of course.. that sandwich toaster thingy that doubles up as a couple of frying pans… I forget the name but I’m sure someone will pop along soon and mention it :cool:
Ridge monkey! Lots of people recommended it to me on my first post, however I'm still deliberating on which model to go for!

I decided to replace my Daily Jaguar iPace for a Cali. (And switching back from EV to Diesel... I know). Decided to go for the 4Motion…
I’m moving from an I-Pace to a 4Motion too. I didn’t think I’d go back to diesel after having a PHEV then a BEV, but the ‘ID Buzz California’ is going to be a few years away and probably quite small, so I’ll use my bike and recycle more to ease my conscience :)

I've actually just ordered an Atera Genio Pro tow bar carrier for that reason and also I want to be able to access the boot without taking it all off. Also I feel tow bar ones may be a bit more secure but that might be a misconception, I haven't used a rear (non-tow bar) carrier for years, only roof mounted on my recent vehicles.

That said if I had got a good deal on a tailgate rack I would probably use that at least for the time being, as they are very expensive!

The extra height won't be a problem as long as you remember it is on there, and I speak from bitter (not to mention expensive and quite embarrassing) experience :D
Genio works brilliant I bought one as have 2 Giant electric bikes and that hold both very very secure on towbar on my previous T5 conversion. I'd had the Strada but it wouldn't hold 2 lecci bikes. Genio is soooo easy to fit and when not in use folds to suitcase size. My bikes are 23.5kg each and no movement at 80 mph. Can't wait to try it on our new Cali which has factory fitted removable tow bar.

Welcome!

Onto your specific ones:

Hope some of these help.
Super helpful, thanks! picking her up next week :)

Back