Pothole rant

• Thread starter Mansfieldman750
  • Start date
M

Mansfieldman750

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We came down through the Netherlands, Germany, part of France, now in Spain.
We haven’t seen a pothole yet, even on the backroads.
We are a G7 country with third world roads. It’s a national disgrace. My wife has an Up Gti, great little car but no good in pothole Britain. That goes for anything with stiff suspension and low profile tyres really.
Nottinghamshire is probably the worst. Nottingham City Council is bankrupt and the County Council is not much better. Where’s the money coming from to fix the roads ? It has to be central government.
Never mind the tax cuts, fix the roads first. Make every motorist in the country a little happier.
Rant over.

You haven't been on the road in Belgium yet I presume...

Everything can be fixed, potholes, NHS, Social Care etc if you are prepared to pay for it. Double taxes , Council taxes, VAT etc. After all Governments and Councils only spend YOUR money, they don't have any of their own. Give them more of it and Everything can be sorted. NO council employee or Public service employee or Civil Servent should be paid more than the Prime Minister for doing their job.
So just vote for Councils that will double Council Tax and Parking Fees and a Government that promises to double Income Tax, VAT and NI get rid of all public employees who earn more than the PM and Utopia beckons.

Everything can be fixed, potholes, NHS, Social Care etc if you are prepared to pay for it. Double taxes , Council taxes, VAT etc. After all Governments and Councils only spend YOUR money, they don't have any of their own. Give them more of it and Everything can be sorted. NO council employee or Public service employee or Civil Servent should be paid more than the Prime Minister for doing their job.
So just vote for Councils that will double Council Tax and Parking Fees and a Government that promises to double Income Tax, VAT and NI get rid of all public employees who earn more than the PM and Utopia beckons.

I don’t want Utopia, I want to drive from A to B at a normal speed without landing in a pothole and damaging the car. Like you used to be able to do.
Not suggesting doubling all taxation, that would be a bit silly. Councils don’t have the ability to double Council tax anyhow, 5% increase is their ceiling for 24/25. Thats why I said the money has to come from central government.
The problem started in George Osborne’s austerity era when spending on roads was slashed. It’s like when you don’t have your Cali serviced, you save in the short term and end up spending a lot more further down the line. It’s a false economy.
What’s your pothole solution ? Leave them as they are ?

I don’t want Utopia, I want to drive from A to B at a normal speed without landing in a pothole and damaging the car. Like you used to be able to do.
Not suggesting doubling all taxation, that would be a bit silly. Councils don’t have the ability to double Council tax anyhow, 5% increase is their ceiling for 24/25. Thats why I said the money has to come from central government.
The problem started in George Osborne’s austerity era when spending on roads was slashed. It’s like when you don’t have your Cali serviced, you save in the short term and end up spending a lot more further down the line. It’s a false economy.
What’s your pothole solution ? Leave them as they are ?
The Government don’t have any money, it’s your money.
Round here if you report a pothole online then it’s usually marked up within 3 working days and repaired within 5 working days of the markup, or less.

You haven't been on the road in Belgium yet I presume...
I was thinking exactly the same thing, but he writes "The Netherlands", so I was in doubt. The term probably does not include Belgium in the sense he uses it :).

The Government don’t have any money, it’s your money.
Round here if you report a pothole online then it’s usually marked up within 3 working days and repaired within 5 working days of the markup, or less.
I would be interested to know where ‘round here’ is.
Certainly ‘round here’ in Stoke it’s easy to report a pothole but it takes up to 12 months for the constant internal referral (pass the buck) process to result in a fix.
Our roads are a national embarrassment, along with most of our public services, but I risk going off topic…

I would be interested to know where ‘round here’ is.
Certainly ‘round here’ in Stoke it’s easy to report a pothole but it takes up to 12 months for the constant internal referral (pass the buck) process to result in a fix.
Our roads are a national embarrassment, along with most of our public services, but I risk going off topic…
Vale of Glamorgan. Has the 3rd highest average Council Tax/ residence in Wales.

Vale of Glamorgan. Has the 3rd highest average Council Tax/ residence in Wales.
I’d happily pay more council tax if it were to rid us of potholes.
Watch out @WelshGas I may be heading your way to check out your silky smooth roads :thumb

So the potholes exist by design.... who knew
I reckon if we scrape up the speed humps & ram them in the potholes we might end up with a level road.

It’s amazing that money can be found for humps and they can make them from indistructable material.

Vale of Glamorgan. I reported an enormous pothole (online) on Sunday. Coned off early Monday. Fully fixed yesterday.

I was cycling and stopped to photograph it.

in the 5 minutes I was there i witnessed 2 cars failing to avoid it, many more would have driven through it previously but obviously none had bothered to stop and report.

a lesson there.

IMG_4691.jpeg

Back