Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop Top Step

RosscoPCole74

RosscoPCole74

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I remember seeing someone had made a step that they hung from the front seat with rope to make it easier to get up to the pop top. I've tried different searches on here, but I'm obviously typing in the wrong words. Can anyone who has made one, or remembers the thread link me to what is there.
Thanks in advance.

You mean something like this - https://www.gruenthal-mobilcamping....e-fuer-alle-vans-mit-hoch-hubdach-california/

Looks easy and cheap enough to make, I certainly wouldn't pay 30€ for it.
or:

or:

Same thing, similar price, different seller. I still wouldn't buy one. if I wanted one (I don't) i'd make it, it some only cost a couple of quid if you don't have a small offcut of wood and some decent cord/rope lying around.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just wondering how to work out the curve of the seat to cut the wood to the correct shape.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. That is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm just wondering how to work out the curve of the seat to cut the wood to the correct shape.

Trial and error with some paper or cardboard and then transfer the curve to your wood. I doubt it needs to be that accurate, just good enough not to damage your seat.

I remember seeing someone had made a step that they hung from the front seat with rope to make it easier to get up to the pop top. I've tried different searches on here, but I'm obviously typing in the wrong words. Can anyone who has made one, or remembers the thread link me to what is there.
Thanks in advance.
I think that yacht chandlery shops sell something similar. Bit like this

I think that yacht chandlery shops sell something similar. Bit like this

If you do go for one of this style, I would modify it so it has 2 fixings ! The single loop design shown would be very unstable if you stood anywhere other than centrally on the step, even with 2 fixings you need to be careful.

I have the eBay one from fatfranky and am really happy with it! I don’t have any wood cutting tools and don’t particularly enjoy faffing about making stuff so I was happy to buy it - the wood is very smooth and the curve / rope length fits the seat perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the eBay one from fatfranky and am really happy with it! I don’t have any wood cutting tools and don’t particularly enjoy faffing about making stuff so I was happy to buy it - the wood is very smooth and the curve / rope length fits the seat perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too. I’m no woodworker and I’m pleased with mine from eBay. It works really well and does the job while taking up almost no space.

Thanks for the positive comments from those that have bought steps, it’s nice to
Know they’re doing the job.

@Hawthorn37

That’s one of the reasons I first made mine! One night the (gin fuelled) other half came back down quite quickly whilst struggling to climb up!!

That’s why I made my first one and decided that they were useful and I’d make some more

Best Regards

So, excuse my ignorance but if you swivel the passenger seat do you hang it over the headrest facing towards the bed., feet on seat, then left foot on step, right foot on shoulder of drivers seat and up up go?

Thanks for the positive comments from those that have bought steps, it’s nice to
Know they’re doing the job.

@Hawthorn37

That’s one of the reasons I first made mine! One night the (gin fuelled) other half came back down quite quickly whilst struggling to climb up!!

That’s why I made my first one and decided that they were useful and I’d make some more

Best Regards
That’s totally relatable - not to cast any aspersions ;)

That’s totally relatable - not to cast any aspersions ;)
It was funny though!
So, excuse my ignorance but if you swivel the passenger seat do you hang it over the headrest facing towards the bed., feet on seat, then left foot on step, right foot on shoulder of drivers seat and up up go?
Hi Gillian

It works whether seat is facing forward or backwards, but it’s better if seat is facing forwards as the backrest is closer to the rear of the roof aperture (which is where you’re trying to go)

If the seat is facing backwards I find it better to slide the seat towards the back of the van to counter this