Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Passenger side plastic pillar trim

C

caliblue

caliblue
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
At the end of March 2015 we took delivery of a new California.
On collection we noticed a defect(looks like a screwdriver score mark) running down the plastic pillar trim and we notified the dealer who has since looked at other californias in the garage and found they all have a similar mark. A replacement trim was ordered and this was no different.
VW customer care have told us this is how the pillar trim is supposed to look like!
However the pillar trim on the driver's side is perfectly formed.
We have been told the case is now closed.
It would be interesting to know if all other californias have a similar defect.
Our previous 2009 california did not have this mark.
On a vehicle costing nearly 50K we expect better quality than this.

Yes that's right. An injection moulding line probably indicative of a strengthening section on the inside. Much larger trim panel than the drivers side.
Personally I don't see anything I'm concerned about. This is a 2014 July built vehicle.

Just slightly off topic. It isn't really a £50,000 vehicle more a £30,000+ van that has had a £20,000 conversion done to it. Just my take on the California. :thumb

Last edited:
We have this on both our 2015 vans but did not have it on our old 2010, must admit i did not even notice it until I saw this post.

The injection moulds are probably getting on a bit and they may be using new or slightly different ones on the T6, so didn't bother changing them for the last of the T5's.

Think I need new glasses :D

Anyone else have this odd zig zag line down the trim above the fridge? Noticed it at night

20230602_012119.jpg

Is that a no then?

T6 here. Wonder what it is? Like some sort of cooling coil

I wondered if it was to do with the fridge but it can't be

We have the same on our beach (no fridge), but no idea what it is. Looks like adhesive...but trim pops off so can’t be that.

We have the same on our beach (no fridge), but no idea what it is. Looks like adhesive...but trim pops off so can’t be that.
Never took the trim off. Adhesive may be it.

That looks like the adhesive between the inner and outer plastic which has caused this condition when it cures.

That looks like the adhesive between the inner and outer plastic which has caused this condition when it cures.
I think that's it too. If I was in warranty would you say that was a defect?

I think that's it too. If I was in warranty would you say that was a defect?
I would suggest it's down to the dealership to advise if this could be a warranty claim or not. It's quite common when bonding two plastic faces together that are quite thin.

I would suggest it's down to the dealership to advise if this could be a warranty claim or not. It's quite common when bonding two plastic faces together that are quite thin.
I get that, too late now for me. Way too late.if every panel did that it would be sh1te though eh. Does yours look like that?

I get that, too late now for me. Way too late.if every panel did that it would be sh1te though eh. Does yours look like that?
I haven't noticed it tbh and I'm not going to look either or I will be looking at every panel haha.
I have seen it loads of times as I have worked with manufacturing of parts with this bonding concept.