Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Obtaining an EU dog passport

peregrinus

peregrinus

VIP Member
We haven’t been outside UK since covid. Now things are more normal, we will go back to several trips a year to France and of course we now need a health certificate each time for the dog.

Has anyone living in UK obtained an EU dog passport whilst in EU? How simple is it?

Is it possible to take advantage of the GF agreement / NI protocol and travel to Northern Ireland animal certificate free and then cross the open border into the republic to obtain an EU passport? Dog is healthy and free of anything that would pollute the EU. He does smell a bit doggy sometimes.

Thanks.

We haven’t been outside UK since covid. Now things are more normal, we will go back to several trips a year to France and of course we now need a health certificate each time for the dog.

Has anyone living in UK obtained an EU dog passport whilst in EU? How simple is it?

Is it possible to take advantage of the GF agreement / NI protocol and travel to Northern Ireland animal certificate free and then cross the open border into the republic to obtain an EU passport? Dog is healthy and free of anything that would pollute the EU. He does smell a bit doggy sometimes.

Thanks.
Just been to the vet for a booster for rabies for our hound. Was told by the vet that the Health Certificate is 17 pages long and costs about £150 and will expire after 14 days. So we need to do this EACH TIME we cross the Channel “do you still want me to give her a booster?” says our vet.

This cumbersome new system precludes travel with our faithful friend for us at least. We will just have to tour every inch of the UK instead. This is a bitter blow to our enjoyment of our van. Kennels are a non-option and leaving our Vizsla with family is a big ask.

From what I can glean it’s the UK that require all this not France et al. Is it a cunning plan to keep spending ‘at home?’

A letter to my MP is fermenting…

FFEB92BB-A6F7-4790-8F51-281F517CC822.jpeg

The way we've looked at it is that £150 or whatever per trip is still less than paid-for doggy care if we left ours at home - not that we would leave her at home in any case.

(I agree the whole process and cost of the current post-B scheme is completely barking, but probably best not to start on that.)

Just been to the vet for a booster for rabies for our hound. Was told by the vet that the Health Certificate is 17 pages long and costs about £150 and will expire after 14 days. So we need to do this EACH TIME we cross the Channel “do you still want me to give her a booster?” says our vet.

This cumbersome new system precludes travel with our faithful friend for us at least. We will just have to tour every inch of the UK instead. This is a bitter blow to our enjoyment of our van. Kennels are a non-option and leaving our Vizsla with family is a big ask.

From what I can glean it’s the UK that require all this not France et al. Is it a cunning plan to keep spending ‘at home?’

View attachment 96529
According to this link, the Health Certificate is an EU requirement. The UK still accepts the EU Pet Passport.

I went to NI last summer then crossed the border into Donegal and had two dog passports done - gave then an address in NI but it could have been any address and I don't think they care or it matters on the actual passport (they missed one of the dates on the passport (one of the 3 dates relating to the rabies jab) so I still had to reference the old UK passport. Been to the European mainland 4 times - no problems (bar one slight issue - see below) and have now had a French vet re-new the rabies vaccine for another 3 years so don't have to reference the old EU UK passport in theory.

However, last trip on the ferry at Calais, one of the staff was a bit of pain as we didn't understand her and she spent ages trying to find something wrong with the passports and insisted that the new passports should have had the date on it when the dog's microchip were first inserted, whilst our passports had a read date on them from when the latest rabies jab was given. Hadn't my glasses at the time, but the passport clearly says date micro chip inserted or read but she was happy regardless when we showed her the old EU UK passports, which had the date the chip was first inserted. It was just lack of knowledge or awkwardness on her part (probably the latter). I think they just want to check the micro chip was inserted or read prior to or on the date of the vaccine was given, not after.

By the way in theory you are meant to have certificates to enter NI. However they don't enforce it ... I think it would be just as easy to get one done in France (other UK based people have done this -check out the web). France is better than Spain for this as their rabies jabs generally lasts 3 years not 1.

Let us know how you get on and keep us updated .... Whatever you do once you have the new EU passport, don't let a UK vet touch it or it will invalidate it.

Last edited:

View attachment 96529
Jesus. What you been telling that dog?

Hence the reason for writing to my MP today. The EU just making life as hard as possible - we should at least reciprocate.

I think that Britain would be allowed back into the EU pet passport scheme (as Norway is) if we would allow the ECJ to be the final arbiter of any dispute.

It is probably more complex than that, but I think that the red line as it is currently set by HMG is that the ECJ cannot be supreme over the British supreme court. (Do not confuse the ECJ with the ECHR which is supreme over British courts).

On the subject of AHC’s, I’ve found that the initial £150 is the setup costs, after that for subsequent trips, my vet copies/pastes the certificate and simply changes the dates. Cost is half.

Last trip in June, the vet in Konstanz was mystified as to why I didn’t just get an EU passport. She offered to do one for me there and then (6 euros). When I questioned the lack of Euro address, she said it makes no difference.

Deffo worth trying. I’d run both systems in tandem to for proof until I was confident.

On the subject of AHC’s, I’ve found that the initial £150 is the setup costs, after that for subsequent trips, my vet copies/pastes the certificate and simply changes the dates. Cost is half.

Last trip in June, the vet in Konstanz was mystified as to why I didn’t just get an EU passport. She offered to do one for me there and then (6 euros). When I questioned the lack of Euro address, she said it makes no difference.

Deffo worth trying. I’d run both systems in tandem to for proof until I was confident.
Thank you! I have copied your reply to our vet to see what they say. We are well used to the EU trying to make life as hard as they can for we naughty dissidents - as we knew they would.

"Last trip in June, the vet in Konstanz was mystified as to why I didn’t just get an EU passport. She offered to do one for me there and then (6 euros). When I questioned the lack of Euro address, she said it makes no difference".
That's what I was told by the vet in Ireland - and she looked up some document to confirm it !

We are well used to the EU trying to make life as hard as they can for we naughty dissidents - as we knew they would.
These are the regulations the UK would need to follow to be a Part 1 listed country.

The regulations are dated 12 June 2013. Doubtless, in time, they will be rewritten. But while Britain is not content to be bound by the EU’s current regulations it cannot expect to be made an exception to the rules.

Good article here - looks like the French have tightened up their rules so other EU contries that offer 3 year boosters (not 1 year) may be a better bet for obtaining and maintaining an EU dog passport

Youtube channel 'John and Mandy' did the Euro passport for their dog. They have quite a few videos on the subject. I think you have to go to EU once every 12 months for rabies booster (to maintain passport) unless you can find 3 year jab.

These are the regulations the UK would need to follow to be a Part 1 listed country.

The regulations are dated 12 June 2013. Doubtless, in time, they will be rewritten. But while Britain is not content to be bound by the EU’s current regulations it cannot expect to be made an exception to the rules.
So prior to 2020 the UK was following the EU regulations which were also written into UK law.
So post 2020 we stopped abiding by those regulations?
So the UK changed its own laws/regulations
and no longer follow the same Laws/Regulations as the EU?

So your saying that although we accept the EU Pet Passport we have less stringent/different regulations than the EU . Interesting.

I'll see if I can find out the new UK regulations and compare with the pre 2020 regulations.

On our trip in April we obtained an AHC from Abbeywell vets in Folkestone the morning before our tunnel crossing. This process went really smoothly, i asked our local vet to email Abbeywell to confirm that Jack had had a current rabies booster, and critically that they'd checked his chip in his neck when giving the injection. 5 minutes at Abbeywell (if that) as soon as they opened at 10am, vet scanned his chip to prove he wasn't an imposter then issued the certificate. Train at 11.50. Cost £99, half the cost of normal vet. And it reduces to £75 for subsequent certificates if your address hasnt changed etc. The AHC seems a grand name for what effectively is just confirmation he's had a valid rabies jab. A lot of motorhomers have used Abbeywell without problems. While in Spain we discovered lots of Brits were getting pet passports so got one for Jack to simplify things for future trips The non-EU adress issue didn't arise.

So prior to 2020 the UK was following the EU regulations which were also written into UK law.
So post 2020 we stopped abiding by those regulations?
So the UK changed its own laws/regulations
and no longer follow the same Laws/Regulations as the EU?

So your saying that although we accept the EU Pet Passport we have less stringent/different regulations than the EU . Interesting.

I'll see if I can find out the new UK regulations and compare with the pre 2020 regulations.

Exactly that. Britain is no longer bound by EU regulations because it is no longer part of the EU. So while Britain may follow some or all of the previous EU regulation by its own choice it does not have to, and the EU cannot enforce its regulations on Britain.

If you leave a golf club you cannot expect to continue enjoying some of the benefits of that golf club by saying that you will follow their regulations. You may be permitted to use the bar or restaurant but you wouldn’t usually be allowed into the members only parts.

Exactly that. Britain is no longer bound by EU regulations because it is no longer part of the EU. So while Britain may follow some or all of the previous EU regulation by its own choice it does not have to, and the EU cannot enforce its regulations on Britain.

If you leave a golf club you cannot expect to continue enjoying some of the benefits of that golf club by saying that you will follow their regulations. You may be permitted to use the bar or restaurant but you wouldn’t usually be allowed into the members only parts.
As far as I am aware , and I cannot find anything to the contrary, we still have all the same regulations etc: in force as we did have prior to 2020 so we are aligned with the EU Regulations. Therefore there is no reason for the U.K. Pet Passport not to be accepted, as we accept the EU equivalent.

Oops… getting a bit politico there.

As far as I am aware , and I cannot find anything to the contrary, we still have all the same regulations etc: in force as we did have prior to 2020 so we are aligned with the EU Regulations. Therefore there is no reason for the U.K. Pet Passport not to be accepted, as we accept the EU equivalent.
Yes, but that would require good sense and political goodwill and that's sadly lacking. Some of the stances in the negotiations / discussions seem to be too heavily influenced by domestic electioneering concerns rather than what might actually be to the mutual advantage of the citizens of both sides. In the golf club analogy (a far simpler relationship than we had with the EU but lets run with it) if the Golf club introduces what are seen as petty vindictive rules governing ex members then ex members may no longer visit the club at all, so while the ex members ares
inconvenienced, the club also loses business. The club pros shop loses customers, there's less work (and maybe jobs) for bar and kitchen staff, and the bar staff and waiters lose tips.. But i've no doubt the petty officials on the Club's committee (who personally suffer none of the consequences of their stance) feel quire smug about the lesson they've taught the ex members.

EU regulations are enforced by the ECJ. Britain no longer accepts the jurisdiction of the ECJ. So you are incorrect, regulations have changed.

By aligning ourselves to EU regulations we have become a part 2 listed country for pets. Same as Ascension Island, United Arab Emirates, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Aruba, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Barbados, Bahrain, Bermuda, Bonaire, Saint Eustatius and Saba (the BES Islands), Belarus, Canada, Chile, Curaçao, Fiji, Falkland Islands, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Japan, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Cayman Islands, Saint Lucia, Montserrat, North Macedonia, Mauritius, Mexico, Malaysia, New Caledonia, New Zealand, French Polynesia, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Russia, Singapore, Saint Helena, Saint Maarten, Trinidad and Tobago, Taiwan, United States of America, American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, British Virgin Islands, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Mayotte.

We might want our cake and eat it, but we can’t.