Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Not seen many in Europe

colintfcolintf

colintfcolintf

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We’ve spent the last week driving through the Netherlands (Hook of Holland) down to Cologne in Germany and back up to Zandvoort in Holland. Whereas VW Campervans are a very frequent sight in the UK, and our Cali’s a common sight, we can count the number of California’s spotted on less than 10 fingers.
on a Dutch campsite we where next to a Dutch converted T6, and a French registered Ocean next to them, and seen three today, but not many more.
on a plus, most of the Dutch motorway is 100kmh speed limits, driving down to Cologne and back, we averaged just under 48mpg.

We’ve spent the last week driving through the Netherlands (Hook of Holland) down to Cologne in Germany and back up to Zandvoort in Holland. Whereas VW Campervans are a very frequent sight in the UK, and our Cali’s a common sight, we can count the number of California’s spotted on less than 10 fingers.
on a Dutch campsite we where next to a Dutch converted T6, and a French registered Ocean next to them, and seen three today, but not many more.
on a plus, most of the Dutch motorway is 100kmh speed limits, driving down to Cologne and back, we averaged just under 48mpg.

I think what you should keep in mind is that over here in NL traditionally, we have to -buy- our cars. So no payment plans or lease constructions. The California is a rather expensive vehicle (new would be 100.000 euro's) which you then have to pay all at once from your own money. Which is only possible for a very small number of people. Usually only for people who are a bit further along in life and many of them might prefer hotels, B&B's or larger motor homes.

But we do have some cali's! The latest ones of course, but also a lot of T4's can be seen and a lot of DIY-conversions.

Each time I read about people on this forum trading in there T5 for a T6 and then for a T6.1 after just a few years, I'm astounded at the fact that all British must be millionairs ;-)

I was pondering this while driving through Europe last year. It seemed to be that there were a lot of Calis (with more early models than I'd expect to see at home) and very few T5/T6 conversions, which I think is the opposite of the UK where conversions outnumber Calis.

I think what you should keep in mind is that over here in NL traditionally, we have to -buy- our cars. So no payment plans or lease constructions. The California is a rather expensive vehicle (new would be 100.000 euro's) which you then have to pay all at once from your own money. Which is only possible for a very small number of people. Usually only for people who are a bit further along in life and many of them might prefer hotels, B&B's or larger motor homes.

But we do have some cali's! The latest ones of course, but also a lot of T4's can be seen and a lot of DIY-conversions.

Each time I read about people on this forum trading in there T5 for a T6 and then for a T6.1 after just a few years, I'm astounded at the fact that all British must be millionairs ;-)
As a nation we seem obsessed with new vehicles weirdly!

UK Motor Trade don't even advertise the price of a new vehicle but how little the monthly payment is.
Basically a small down payment is made followed by a number of years of monthly payments which totals approximately 75% of the new purchase price. The option then is to hand the vehicle back plus any excess mileage or damage charges and walk away with nothing, or pay the residual value agreed at start of Contract and then own the (now old) vehicle. The vehicle is always owned by the Financier not the 'millionaire' driver.

UK is swamped by big 4x4's on this Finance scheme.

UK Motor Trade don't even advertise the price of a new vehicle but how little the monthly payment is.
Basically a small down payment is made followed by a number of years of monthly payments which totals approximately 75% of the new purchase price. The option then is to hand the vehicle back plus any excess mileage or damage charges and walk away with nothing, or pay the residual value agreed at start of Contract and then own the (now old) vehicle. The vehicle is always owned by the Financier not the 'millionaire' driver.

UK is swamped by big 4x4's on this Finance scheme.
Sounds like a very American way to get everyone into 'getting' things they can't afford and debt they won't be able to (easily) pay off. But then again, I dont have a full overview of how it works over there.

Sounds like a very American way to get everyone into 'getting' things they can't afford and debt they won't be able to (easily) pay off. But then again, I dont have a ull overview of how it works over there.
Bank of England & Government aren't happy about the dept levels in UK.

I just bought a new car and was very difficult to buy it outright. lots of pressure to take Finance options. The dealer/sales staff make more profit on that rather than the vehicle, I believe.

Sounds like a very American way to get everyone into 'getting' things they can't afford and debt they won't be able to (easily) pay off. But then again, I dont have a full overview of how it works over there.
Correct ,most people in the uk are what is known as fake rich people driving expensive cars big houses expensive clothes
But most of these people don’t have a penny in savings or a pension for their retirement

Not millionaires, just bigger debts.

We are just back from 10 days in Europe and I think you see less on the roads but more on the campsites. Roads are generally quieter than UK (except for city areas) so you expect to see less. When we were on a campsite in Rüdesheim we were surrounded by other California’s.

Correct ,most people in the uk are what is known as fake rich people driving expensive cars big houses expensive clothes
But most of these people don’t have a penny in savings or a pension for their retirement
Realistically the current generation won't get to retire properly. State pension age is 67 & rising & many pension schemes are pegged to that. Pay cuts mean less contributions to pensions. Shelf-stacking at B&Q is the new retirement.

Realistically the current generation won't get to retire properly. State pension age is 67 & rising & many pension schemes are pegged to that. Pay cuts mean less contributions to pensions. Shelf-stacking at B&Q is the new retirement.
I disagree the current generation don’t want to have less now they want it all now the amount of young people that say we might not make it to retirement no point in saving it is a worry for them for sure ,old age comes quickly and there is nothing worse than having no money when you are old with declining health then having to go to work every day just to pay the bills.
Private pensions are going to be pegged 10 years behind the state pension for sure this gives people more time to save if they start early saving for retirement it is possible to retire 10 years before your state pensions is paid with the right mind set taking advantage of tax incentives with regards pension contributions and not following the Jones’s next door.

I disagree the current generation don’t want to have less now they want it all now the amount of young people that say we might not make it to retirement no point in saving it is a worry for them for sure ,old age comes quickly and there is nothing worse than having no money when you are old with declining health then having to go to work every day just to pay the bills.
Private pensions are going to be pegged 10 years behind the state pension for sure this gives people more time to save if they start early saving for retirement it is possible to retire 10 years before your state pensions is paid with the right mind set taking advantage of tax incentives with regards pension contributions and not following the Jones’s next door.
I have discussed this with both my children. They both looked at me and said ‘dad, our mortgage has doubled, energy bills are bonkers, our old cars are struggling and we need one holiday a year - how do we save?’ That’s the reality of life for many people. Saving just isn’t an option.

I have discussed this with both my children. They both looked at me and said ‘dad, our mortgage has doubled, energy bills are bonkers, our old cars are struggling and we need one holiday a year - how do we save?’ That’s the reality of life for many people. Saving just isn’t an option.
Without digging into your children’s financial position in detail which they probably won’t want you to do you can’t advise on if they can or can’t afford to make pension contributions.
But I know some young people in the same position and this position is partly of their own making and the fact the banks push people into debt.
The house they choose to buy sets the financial position and the fact no plan if interest rates go up or if they decide to have children which reduces household income.
Most have the best iPhones loads of data contracts expensive gym membership Netflix eat out a lot etc etc so they say what should we do the answer is make hard choices unfortunately.

Without digging into your children’s financial position in detail which they probably won’t want you to do you can’t advise on if they can or can’t afford to make pension contributions.
But I know some young people in the same position and this position is partly of their own making and the fact the banks push people into debt.
The house they choose to buy sets the financial position and the fact no plan if interest rates go up or if they decide to have children which reduces household income.
Most have the best iPhones loads of data contracts expensive gym membership Netflix eat out a lot etc etc so they say what should we do the answer is make hard choices unfortunately.
I work with a young guy he said the same I can’t afford to pay anything into a pension we just don’t have the money
But he then books himself and his wife in for tattoos this costing thousands of pounds he then buys a new bigger tv because the other isn’t big enough
Say no more lol

Can't you get a loan from a Bank to buy a car in NL ? In Belgium, that's a very common way to buy a car.

It amazes me, what utter rubbish some people on low incomes buy into.
Each to their own, I guess.

Hmm, there are a lot of Cali's in our dutch home town at the moment, must be 20+. But then again there is a Kwadendamme Blues festival going on. Seems to draw in loads of people of a certain age... LOL

In the US they are called $30,000 millionaires. All show no go. I very rarely see new calis in Hannover. Surprising when you think they are manufactured locally. A few T5’s and a few Hippie wagons. That’s it.

I don't loan to buy a car, nor do I judge people who do to buy their dream or have a strong opinion about it. But this is about the number of California’s one encounters every day. Well, in my neighborhood alone (and I mean within a radius of less than 5 km around where I live, Bruges), there are +10, almost evenly divided between coast, ocean and beach. As in driving to work (about 20 km far away) I know about 10 more 'living' along that road. During every other ride I make with our Cali, I come across at least one. Now: I'm also a little beetle freaky when it comes to small campervans, so it must be just me. In any case: enjoy your cali, fully paid or partly, all the same to me.

And indeed: that 100 km/h restriction during a certain period of the day ensures almost unimaginably economical driving :D

Last edited: