Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Normandy D-Day Landings

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
My wife occasionally works for a Military Art Gallery who have an outlet in Wendover and another Sainte-Mere-Eglise. Thought the this short video might be of interest to some members.

Thought you were going to suggest we hire a landing craft & take a few calis. to France.

My wife occasionally works for a Military Art Gallery who have an outlet in Wendover and another Sainte-Mere-Eglise. Thought the this short video might be of interest to some members.

Powerful film

Thanks for sharing. Watched it with my 10 year old son. One of the trips we plan in the Cali, when it finally arrives, is to visit Normandy and retrace the steps of his great Grandfather who landed on Gold beach on the afternoon of D-Day.

Thanks for sharing. Watched it with my 10 year old son. One of the trips we plan in the Cali, when it finally arrives, is to visit Normandy and retrace the steps of his great Grandfather who landed on Gold beach on the afternoon of D-Day.
There’s so much to see and do, he’ll love it. Don’t miss the D-Day Experience at Dead Man’s Corner near Caretan. They have a museum, 3D Imax cinema, and flight simulator. Sainte-Mere-Eglise and the American Cemetery near Omaha Beach also in the same area. (Shameless plug - Aces High in Sainte-Mere-Eglise is the business my wife works for. Good range of artworks and souvenirs)
Nearer to Gold Beach is Pegasus Bridge - also not to be missed. Good museum and the famous Cafe Gondre the first building to be liberated on D-Day.
Have fun.

There’s so much to see and do, he’ll love it. Don’t miss the D-Day Experience at Dead Man’s Corner near Caretan. They have a museum, 3D Imax cinema, and flight simulator. Sainte-Mere-Eglise and the American Cemetery near Omaha Beach also in the same area. (Shameless plug - Aces High in Sainte-Mere-Eglise is the business my wife works for. Good range of artworks and souvenirs)
Nearer to Gold Beach is Pegasus Bridge - also not to be missed. Good museum and the famous Cafe Gondre the first building to be liberated on D-Day.
Have fun.
If you get time a trip to Falaise is worthwhile. Scene of the infamous ‘corridor of death’. There’s a museum at Mont Ormel with wonderful views. Great little bar/restaurant on the roadside 1/2 mile before the museum (Bar Le Mont-Ormel)

‘The Falaise Pocket or Battle of the Falaise Pocket was the decisive engagement of the Battle of Normandy in the Second World War. A pocket was formed around Falaise, Calvados, in which the German Army Group B, with the 7th Army and the Fifth Panzer Army were encircled by the Western Allies.’

A quick heads up for anybody planning to go to Normandy in June 2024 for the 80th anniversary of D-Day. Campsites and other accommodation are selling out fast even though it’s a full year away. We’re booked into the campsite at Sainte-Mere-Eglise and it’s already fully booked!

Just got back from Le Mans and on the advice of a French friend, called in at the Normandy American Cemetary near Collville-sur-mer, in the vicinity of Bayeaux (also well worth a visit).
It’s a handsomely designed memorial in an imposing position above Omaha beach allowing a sobering appreciation of the Allies’ brutal mission.
1928cb25-9905-4537-8413-e18465c9d1a3.jpeg
5c4cc6fa-6919-4058-bfc5-2a0c89a2f927.jpeg9c952d36-a710-4247-b9bc-0118989033f5.jpeg

Last edited:
80th D-Day anniversary on 6th June. Any members going to Normandy?

I'll be visiting Verdun over Easter. Quite an impressive looking memorial.
Mémorial von Verdun

I'll be visiting Verdun over Easter. Quite an impressive looking memorial.
Mémorial von Verdun
Great place to visit for WW1 history @Corradobrit . Loads to see at Verdun - Mort Homme; Douaumont Ossuary; Fort de Douaumont; Trench of Bayonettes; Fort de Vaux; etc; etc. I plan to revisit at some time.

I have visited a number of WWI and WWII sites, cemeteries and memorials over the years and find the stories of the people involved fascinating. I have been lucky to meet D-Day veterans at Arromanches and shake their hand and thank them. I always find Commonwealth War Cemeteries very peaceful and moving. There is something that I cannot explain that makes me feel like I'm back in the UK even though I'm in a different country. Last year we were staying near Ypres and I took the family to see the Menin Gate and visit the cemetery where the chap who rescued my Grandfather from no-mans land is buried to say thank you, as if it wasn't for his selfless act I wouldn't be here.

My dad landed on Gold Beach, part of 2Bn South Wales Borderers; landing craft stopped short of the actual beach, he jumped off and went under. Made it ashore and most disappointed to lose the 200 fags he was carrying. Still alive at 100 this year. I’m off to Ypres this weekend and then Normandy in June with the Cali.

My dad landed on Gold Beach, part of 2Bn South Wales Borderers; landing craft stopped short of the actual beach, he jumped off and went under. Made it ashore and most disappointed to lose the 200 fags he was carrying. Still alive at 100 this year. I’m off to Ypres this weekend and then Normandy in June with the Cali.
Total respect for your Dad :)
Enjoy your trips @Cwcltd , we’re also in Normandy in June in our Cali.

Back