Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Tilting Tow bar mounted bike rack

Phil Tomes

Phil Tomes

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
After months of waiting for certain makes of bike racks to become available as they just don’t seem to be out there at the moment. I found a 2 Bike Rack sold at a Nationally available shop that works a treat on my t6.1. The handle bars are well clear of the vans rear window and it clears the tailgate when opening, a problem I’ve worried about for months. Easy to fit and stores in bag when not in use.Available from Euro Car Parts £400EB795194-A71D-4408-AAA9-0F611375EC4A.jpegFAB2E286-CA25-416D-8CA0-E65668FD0297.jpeg

I will second that....I got mine from the club shop....put our two electric mountain bikes on it and it does the job!

Looks great but I need to,carry 3 bikes sometimes. I note that they do a 3 bike carrier - SG3. Don't suppose either of you know if the tailgate will open on the 3 bike version?

Thanks in anticipation

I Think the attacment bar is lobger than on otthers so it is furthur away from the van. When I bought it I made it clear to the guy in the shop it was for a specific van and he was happy to have it returned with all the packaging if it did not work. Thats why I chanced a try. 3 bike carrier should be the same frame.

Thanks Phil - actually I've just discovered that the sg3 only takes 60kilos. Also the Pro user website makes great play of the SG2's ability to allow tailgate opening, but makes no mention of that facility re the sg3. The Atera Genio Pro, which the Roofbox company today tell me should be arriving with them in the first half of September - I ordered in March - will take 66 kilos with its extender for a third bike. Plus it allows tailgate opening and folds like the SG2. It's more expensive, but I guess I'll wait for that - it'll be just too late for our September hol though

I was waiting for the Altera Genio Pro as well but just couldn't get one. Im happy with the quality and operation but I only need it for two E Bikes totalling 50 Kg.

Thanks Phil - actually I've just discovered that the sg3 only takes 60kilos. Also the Pro user website makes great play of the SG2's ability to allow tailgate opening, but makes no mention of that facility re the sg3. The Atera Genio Pro, which the Roofbox company today tell me should be arriving with them in the first half of September - I ordered in March - will take 66 kilos with its extender for a third bike. Plus it allows tailgate opening and folds like the SG2. It's more expensive, but I guess I'll wait for that - it'll be just too late for our September hol though
The SG2 does not let the tailgate on a T6 open. You need the SG2 Plus!!

Well we've bought a SG2 Plus and we're very pleased with it. We decided we can make other arrangements when a third bike is involved.

I do have a question though to those who have this rack - in relation to the licence plate holder, we felt we had to use a screwdriver to release the sprung catch that holds it in place when folded ( couldn't get a finger in the gap) It clicks back into place no problem when refolding. Do we just need to apply more force to pull it up and so release the catch without the need for a screwdriver? We're a bit nervous about causing damage!

Ian

I
Well we've bought a SG2 Plus and we're very pleased with it. We decided we can make other arrangements when a third bike is involved.

I do have a question though to those who have this rack - in relation to the licence plate holder, we felt we had to use a screwdriver to release the sprung catch that holds it in place when folded ( couldn't get a finger in the gap) It clicks back into place no problem when refolding. Do we just need to apply more force to pull it up and so release the catch without the need for a screwdriver? We're a bit nervous about causing damage!

Ian

Ian
I would never use a screwdriver on a plastic part unless you want to break it. We have no problem with the license plate holder spring on ours. Spray some WD40 on the catch and see if that helps.

Many thanks for the prompt response - be assured we were careful. I’ll take it from your comment that we should indeed just be able to pull it up. It’s probably because it’s brand new and so a bit stiff.

Happy to report I've solved my problem - I just need to push the registration plate towards the van as I pull up. Ahem ... there is actually a small sticker on the rack that says just that :)

Happy to report I've solved my problem - I just need to push the registration plate towards the van as I pull up. Ahem ... there is actually a small sticker on the rack that says just that :)
I bought the same rack on Tuesday of this week and went through exactly the same process before realising I just needed to apply at it more force to pull the sprung side open - the instruction booklet I had didn’t make this very clear and you almost need a magnifying glass to read it. Overall very pleased with rack - mounted our two new Hybrid bikes on it easily - just need the towbar fitted to the van so we can ‘use in anger’ - PF Jones supplied and mobile fitter coming in a couple of weeks time.

I bought the same rack on Tuesday of this week and went through exactly the same process before realising I just needed to apply at it more force to pull the sprung side open - the instruction booklet I had didn’t make this very clear and you almost need a magnifying glass to read it. Overall very pleased with rack - mounted our two new Hybrid bikes on it easily - just need the towbar fitted to the van so we can ‘use in anger’ - PF Jones supplied and mobile fitter coming in a couple of weeks time.
Hey thanks for posting - now I don’t feel quite such a dope!

Must say I’m v pleased with the rack - great that not only can you open the tailgate with the rack on (just!), but you can actually store it in the boot in it’s supplied case :)

Back