Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New - RCD330 Carplay

Has anyone with one of these established if the aux-in socket in the glove box works with the unit? I'm looking at ways you can add a dab 'fix' using that socket, (rather than trailing cables to the front aux-in socket.

Also, I'm looking at the mirror link 330 units on ebay which often go at £100 ish. (Android user). Any obvious flaws in going that route? Priorities are streaming music via bluetooth, legal phone calls. My MW Radio 5 live isn't impacted by the lack of RDS on FM, but you can see the step up in sound I'll get going from MW to DAB at some point.

Our glove box aux in has stopped working since the install. you could probably get a aux cable hard wired into the unit if you took it to someone who knows what they are doing, cannot be that difficult, surely.

I got my b version from eBay. No security code required.

We were able to play videos for a couple of weeks, when we updated our iPhones the feature is nolonger available:headbang

iOS 10.3.2 worked
iOS 10.3.3 and 11 doesn't.

Such a shame.

Aww that was a very tempting feature, do you think it was a bug or safety feature from apple?

Hi would be interested in a longer term review of this unit. Interested in operation of Radio reception using FM only

We've had one of these since the summer and love it but contrary to the above, it doesn't support Android Auto. Coming from the Chinese market, the only options are Apple CarPlay and Baidu Carlife, which works on iOS or Android and looks pretty good if you can read Chinese :)

It's very self-contained. The built-in mic works well but the fascia sockets are the only option. I'm quite solder-happy but the procedure for adding another USB socket is a little intimidating. I will try it soon because I'd much prefer to get rid of the usb cable.

Make sure you get the 'noname' (which is the curious name of the company that builds them) version with an 'App' button; it's the most recent and the best equipped. Earlier ones can be upgraded to the current firmware but it's not easy and there's no need. Avoid the non-plus ones. The part number of mine is 6RD 035 187 B. It came directly from China with no problems and on arrival looked very much like it had left through the back door of a VW dealer.

+1 from me for the rcd330 (b ver). Fitted mine yesterday which was pretty straight forward. Bought on ebay for £169, there were cheaper ones that come from china but i opted for a UK seller - don't think that was strictly true as it took 2 weeks to arrive & correspondence was with germans!!! ...but, it was unused (removed from a new car). The volume and skip buttons work on the steering wheel but the phone button doesn't appear to do anything. I'm an iphone user so carplay works well although i didn't realise that only works when the usb cable's plugged in. On the whole I'm very happy with it. :thumb

The volume and skip buttons work on the steering wheel but the phone button doesn't appear to do anything.

Hi @surfer-rich , which phone button do you mean? The steering wheel or on the head unit? I don’t have a button with a phone icon on my steering wheel but there is a mic button that mutes/pauses music etc... the button labelled phone on the head unit works also: on CarPlay or Bluetooth it shows all of my call register and phone book.

Hi @surfer-rich , which phone button do you mean? The steering wheel or on the head unit? I don’t have a button with a phone icon on my steering wheel but there is a mic button that mutes/pauses music etc... the button labelled phone on the head unit works also: on CarPlay or Bluetooth it shows all of my call register and phone book.

Hi maverick, I mean the middle button on the steering wheel...
IMG_0055.jpg
Volume, skip & the mute below all work fine.

Hi, I'm new to this site and have read these posts with interest, can I ask if you are still happy with the 330 and can I ask where you got them from and which is the best model for Apple-thanks!

Hi @Andrew S, I installed the RCD330 back in August and I am still really pleased with it. The Apple Play has worked flawlessly and the multi function steering wheel works. The only thing it does not do is show a graphic when adjusting the the aircon.

Still really pleased with ours as well, would love to try a jail broken iPhone so all apps can be used, particularly google maps and you tube for the little ones.

The only flaw I can see is the lack of RDS on the radio, as you travel and the station frequent changes you seem to have to retune which is strange for such a modern piece of in car entertainment.

Bargain of the year.

Andrew.

Yeah I think that is because they don't have RDS in china where the radios were designed for.

I'd be first in the queue for this if it had DAB.

What are the options on CarPlay and DAB? Whats the next model up in the vw line - does it have DAB?

I'm not interested in NAV in the unit, just CARPLAY and DAB - pref in a vw poem type unit.

just CARPLAY and DAB - pref in a vw poem type unit
Yup, that's exactly the problem - those three in combination. Pick any two and it's easy. The only solutions I believe have been found are BIG money, hence why many of us ended up sacrificing something.
You can try adding a bolt-on DAB kit to the 330. Use the aux-in socket if you have one and it can be a neat install, or you rely on streaming radio if the majority of your routes have good data.

What would really crack the problem would be if the new generation T6 units could be made to work in a T5. Many mid range units fit your spec and are sold on ebay for £150 ish. When I last looked, it still wasn't possible. I believe they fit, it's the coding that they can't crack. Worth investigating to see if someone has cracked it yet.

Do the new gen t6 units not work in the t 5.1?

There’s an alpine 7nit that looks good that has CarPlay but doesn’t have dab! I don’t know if it’s poss to ge5 a dab module for it.

Might just have to ge5 a dab box for my cd310 and continue using my iPhone in a bracket for nav!

I'd be first in the queue for this if it had DAB.

What are the options on CarPlay and DAB? Whats the next model up in the vw line - does it have DAB?

I'm not interested in NAV in the unit, just CARPLAY and DAB - pref in a vw poem type unit.

I’m pretty much in the same boat, wanting DAB, CarPlay and keeping it VW (especially the use of my newly fitted MFSW buttons!).

Have found a ‘behind the dash’ DAB set up from AutoDAB that is compatible with most VW head units but they don’t list the RCD330. Anyone tried it or want to be guinea pig?

http://www.autodab.com/productitem.aspx?Manf=VW&model=Caravelle&ProductNo=CTDAB-VW1

I’m pretty much in the same boat, wanting DAB, CarPlay and keeping it VW (especially the use of my newly fitted MFSW buttons!).

Have found a ‘behind the dash’ DAB set up from AutoDAB that is compatible with most VW head units but they don’t list the RCD330. Anyone tried it or want to be guinea pig?

http://www.autodab.com/productitem.aspx?Manf=VW&model=Caravelle&ProductNo=CTDAB-VW1

I haven’t tried a DAB interface. I have the RCD330 and, looking at the link, the autodab won’t be compatible as it requires a radio that: ‘
  • Displays radio text, song and artist information if supported by original radio
I interpret that as RDS which the RCD330 doesn’t have as a function.

I suspect it’ll work to some extent, just not with full functionality. From what I understand it uses an FM signal by wire to communicate.

Does the RCD330 have an AUX function? We have an Auto DAB unit connected to our current unit - it's a generic unit designed to work with any head unit that has an AUX connection. Ours is controlled by remote control rather than needing to mount a separate controller on the dash. Works well - just a case of selecting Aux rather than radio

Does the RCD330 have an AUX function?

Yes it does. That’s a good solution. Aux input is certainly less intrusive. I just use tune-in radio app or my laptop for radio which obviously depends on a good data connection. Not had any problems as yet but then, not really gone to far off grid.

Back