Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

New Club Joker Owner

....Campersales have a Beige T6 in stock, but the other one is alot cheaper, with slightly higher mileage (but still purple!)

What is the difference in spec internally between T5.1 v T6

The cheaper purple one has the fly screens on sliding door when open and mesh on the tailgate gap.
The t6 has the table and chairs only difference on camping side I can see.
Can’t tell about leisure batteries may have just one in either.
Massive price difference but if you don’t care about euro6 and happy with 180 on t5.1 that’s your answer.
I think the beige one is the one I nearly bought when new had no satnav and really wanted 4motion, I won’t tell you the price of it new.
Looks like it’s had an upgrade on stereo probably the same kenwood as the t5.1 got.
Purple is better than beige, but I’ve never bothered with colour always the last box on the wish list that rarely gets ticked.
Campersales have a couple in and a few new stock vans so maybe worth a visit and see if you can get a better price.
All comes down to what you want to spend really.

They both have the older style lower bed but that comes with better storage as the bum seat lifts up to gain access to a massive storage area.
The newer ones you have to tilt the whole double seat to get to it

Anyone else interested the other different to the t5.1 and t6 maybe pay loads
T5.1 possibly only 2.8t
T6 probably 3-3.2t but get the dealers to confirm
Will make a big difference on loads you can carry

Hi, think its typo...but assume Club Joker only came as 150bhp (below shows 175/180), and did alloys not come as standard fit?

(...just a shame its purple!)

I would say it's a 140 5.1 looking at the rear tdi badge and also states on the website 16" brakes\steels etc. which is another clue. Might have been chipped to 175bhp.

I would say it's a 140 5.1 looking at the rear tdi badge and also states on the website 16" brakes\steels etc. which is another clue. Might have been chipped to 175bhp.
You could spec the big engine with 16” steels and lower payload back then.
I would have thought dealer is quoting logbook so should be 180. It’s on a German transporter so not sure if they done the badge colour thing like calis.
Chipbuty is in the same position with family as you so maybe worth giving him some feed back why it wasn’t working for you Carl.
Is that blue one at campersales your old one, says 1 owner but must be 3 if it is

You could spec the big engine with 16” steels and lower payload back then.
I would have thought dealer is quoting logbook so should be 180. It’s on a German transporter so not sure if they done the badge colour thing like calis.
Chipbuty is in the same position with family as you so maybe worth giving him some feed back why it wasn’t working for you Carl.
Is that blue one at campersales your old one, says 1 owner but must be 3 if it is
That's a different blue one, the guys i sold mine to are very happy with it.
There are 2 180hp 5.1 for sale on mobile.de and they both have red "D" on the badge like the Cali 180 hence my reasoning.

Regarding the C. Joker, what worked for us was the high top, top bed, skylights and windows, bathroom/toilet, kitchen, larger awning, ice box, hot water, int lighting.

Negatives for us was rear seat/ downstairs bed. Not very comfy for lounging in and smaller space than Cali in this area. Smaller downstairs bed and not suitable for 2 adults. My son really disliked it as both a seat and bed compared to the Cali. Storage space is challenging but doable. Lower spec cabin/base van.
All in all, perfect for a couple in our eyes. For more a Hightop Nugget Plus would be better.
A high top van sub 6m is perfect but very hard to find.

That's a different blue one, the guys i sold mine to are very happy with it.
There are 2 180hp 5.1 for sale on mobile.de and they both have red "D" on the badge like the Cali 180 hence my reasoning.

Regarding the C. Joker, what worked for us was the high top, top bed, skylights and windows, bathroom/toilet, kitchen, larger awning, ice box, hot water, int lighting.

Negatives for us was rear seat/ downstairs bed. Not very comfy for lounging in and smaller space than Cali in this area. Smaller downstairs bed and not suitable for 2 adults. My son really disliked it as both a seat and bed compared to the Cali. Storage space is challenging but doable. Lower spec cabin/base van.
All in all, perfect for a couple in our eyes. For more a Hightop Nugget Plus would be better.
A high top van sub 6m is perfect but very hard to find.
You are very eagle eyed never even noticed the badge (not that I would have remembered that either!).

The Cali truly is a Swiss Army knife of campers.
I like to class the joker as a camperhome.

You are very eagle eyed never even noticed the badge (not that I would have remembered that either!).

150 would be a safer choice for me. Our Beach was remapped by Bognor Motors, so now have more mid range torque, less gear changes and marked improvement in mpg on longer trips.

If I have to factor in the unlikely cost of a replacement engine, then the beige 150 at campersales makes more sense.

Waiting for dealer of purple one to confirm prefix shown on the bit that is ‘sometimes’ subject to failure.

…..beige vans only need an annual wash!

Wife…”looks ugly, omg is it purple!”

150 would be a safer choice for me. Our Beach was remapped by Bognor Motors, so now have more mid range torque, less gear changes and marked improvement in mpg on longer trips.

If I have to factor in the unlikely cost of a replacement engine, then the beige 150 at campersales makes more sense.

Waiting for dealer of purple one to confirm prefix shown on the bit that is ‘sometimes’ subject to failure.

…..beige vans only need an annual wash!

Wife…”looks ugly, omg is it purple!”
Happy wife happy life.
Euro6 engine and t6 is VW best version.
Full westfalia dealer back up
They are a pig to wash too! (3hrs min for a quick wash won’t get away with that on a purple one).

Negative £13k :headbang

150 would be a safer choice for me
Our 150 dsg was lovely to drive and was quite lively with the exception of big hills.

The Blackberry one seems to have quite a bit of wear and tear regarding cupboards, drawers, hob top etc. Apart from that i like it. Look far better with some black 17" wheels.

I'd be looking for an auto. I would be in a Cali, but add all the joker bulk, and it would become a must have.

I'd be looking for an auto. I would be in a Cali, but add all the joker bulk, and it would become a must have.
The DSG makes the Joker a doddle to drive, no sport mode but never really found that much use in my Cali, although that was the 180.

The DSG makes the Joker a doddle to drive, no sport mode but never really found that much use in my Cali, although that was the 180.
My T6.1 Club Joker has Sport mode. Mine is a 2020 model but maybe they removed that in later years?

I took my logbook into breeze totton vw and they set it up that was my first one back in 2018.
Lots of VW dealers just try to be difficult, the first two years any vw dealer is supposed to carry out warranty work or software updates etc
My 2023 joker was a nightmare as vw pdi for westy dealer and didn’t set the service interval up properly and that was running from date of manufacture rather than day of collection (6mths out). Nightmare trying to get another VW garage to sort it.
Thanks for the advice. I will take my logbook to the local VW van centre (Yeomans) when I get it back from DVLA. The Make is currently stated as Westfalia Club Joker instead of VW; looks like a mixture of mistakes by Wandahome on the first registration form and DVLA looking at the type approval certificate from Westfalia instead of the vehicle makers certificate from VW. Still this can be sorted and I really want to get the van back in use - down to less than 100 miles before the engine will not restart!

I pressed mine and connected me to uk speaking operator asked what service I needed whoops. o_O
VW roadside assist was all good and set up on my 2023 as had to call them out for flashing engine management.
Like I’ve said they are great vans just a bit more to deal with than a cali.
Aftersales&help was second to none at campersales best I’ve ever experience. The initial sale/collection was a nightmare but that was due to delay after delay of delivery date, and stressful times we had all gone through with lockdowns etc.
I called VW Roadside Assistance to see if my Joker was covered as the Roadside Assistance booklet I had with my previous Calis wasn't with the manuals for this vehicle. VWRA said that, unusually, my vehicle was not showing up on their system as being covered despite being less than 1 year old ( may be to do with the logbook problem I mentioned above). So, I have taken out Green Flag breakdown Cover. Perhaps I can get VW Cover reinstated when I go to the VW centre if other owners get it as standard?

My 2017 silver joker had sport mode, but the 2023 didn’t got dropped around same time as the Cali vans.
Dsg is bliss, but I have enjoyed changing gears again in the jimny just makes you feel more involved in the drive, so wouldn’t let manual put you off always had manual calis (cheaper to service too).
If there was a dsg at same price as manual then I would prefer dsg but that’s £75k your budget will be creeping up lots!

I called VW Roadside Assistance to see if my Joker was covered as the Roadside Assistance booklet I had with my previous Calis wasn't with the manuals for this vehicle. VWRA said that, unusually, my vehicle was not showing up on their system as being covered despite being less than 1 year old ( may be to do with the logbook problem I mentioned above). So, I have taken out Green Flag breakdown Cover. Perhaps I can get VW Cover reinstated when I go to the VW centre if other owners get it as standard?
Maybe your van didn’t get pdi checked by vw dealer before westy dealer sold it to you.
Campersales gave me the tick sheet from euro and Crawley (with all the other paperwork) and I called out vwassist with no issues apart from telling them the reg it was sold with as it didn’t have the private plate details.
No problems with my 2017 joker either as had vw assist out on a puncher. Cant remember if they give you 2 or 3yrs as forgot, the vw warranty is only two.

No problems with my 2017 joker either as had vw assist out on a puncher. Cant remember if they give you 2 or 3yrs as forgot, the vw warranty is only two.
2 years VW assist.
MIne was a month or two older than 2 years when i rang them and was told it had run out.

Some good news - for now!
In my previous posts I described only one of two leisure batteries operating.
After nearly 6 months since its purchase and on my 4th return trip to Wandahome with the intention of saying "fix it or keep it", a fault was found and fixed.
The fault? A blown 80amp fuse associated with the non-functioning 95Ah leisure battery. Given that the 80amp fuse associated with the hitherto solo operating 70Ah battery had previously been found to have blown, should I be worried?
I'm guessing that fuses that size are there to protect to batteries from over-voltage from the alternator?
But a another question for Joker owners, does the starter battery get charged on EHU? Mine doesn't and its "resting" voltage is around 11.5v although it does rise to around 12.5, albeit temporarily, after a decent run out.
I suspect this might explain the stop/start not working.
The lack of paperwork relating to this van is both a surprise and a disappointment. Trying to understand what is going on has been a nightmare and I'm not sure the dealership are on top of it either. My impression is that Westfalia are not the best communicators.

Last edited:
After nearly 6 months since its purchase and on my 4th return trip to Wandahome with the intention of saying "fix it or keep it", a fault was found and fixed.
The fault? A blown 80amp fuse associated with the non-functioning 95Ah leisure battery. Given that the 80amp fuse associated with the hitherto solo operating 70Ah battery had previously been found to have blown, should I be worried?
I'm guessing that fuses that size are there to protect to batteries from over-voltage from the alternator?
But a another question for Joker owners, does the starter battery get charged on EHU? Mine doesn't and its "resting" voltage is around 11.5v although it does rise to around 12.5, albeit temporarily, after a decent run out.
I suspect this might explain the stop/start now working.
The lack of paperwork relating to this van is both a surprise and a disappointment. Trying to understand what is going on has been a nightmare and I'm not sure the dealership are on top of it either. My impression is that Westfalia are not the best communicators.

No, the starter battery does not charge on EHU by default. I installed a Victron Inverter instead and then rewired the default charger to charge the starter battery and have an on/off switch. Now when on hookup my Victron charges the leisure batteries and if I turn on the inverter and flip the switch to on for the Westfalia charger it all works great. The starter battery is AGM and my leisure batteries are LiPo so this works great. Just need to ensure you flip the switch to off before starting the motor. I have a “remove before flight” keychain I atttach to the steering wheel as a reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect this might explain the stop/start now working.
Have you got the Westfalia handbook? Page 77 &97 would seem to say that the starter battery does get a trickle charge when on hookup to a max of 2A.